• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jane from Maine, USA

janemaryokeefe

Hello! I'll call myself "Jane from Maine". I'm traveling to Paris June 19th and will travel for about 15 days(Eurailpass) along the east side of France, south and then west to Carcassonne to Oloron. I believe that St.JPdeP is within 20 miles from Oloron. I was under the impression that once you got your pilgrim card, the auberges/hostels would find you a place to stay-----as long as you were a pilgrim and walking--------even if they were full! I realize it's summer, but having to make advanced reservations schedules you, so that there isn't much leeway if you get tired and decide to take an extra day on the trail. Would appreciate any advice. I'm 60 but in fairly good shape. Some posts I've read say that sneakers will give you enough support for this hike. I would think that if it's steep, hiking boots would lend more support. Thanks for any advice!
Does anyone have the email address for the "L'Esprit du Chemin" auberge?
Looking forward to reading more posts. Am getting psyched to start my trip!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello, Jane,
Welcome to the forum! Here is the website for LEspirit du Chemin. http://www.espritduchemin.org/EC/LEsprit_du_Chemin.html

You will probably get a million replies regarding footwear. I've worn hiking shoes and Tevas. I liked the Tevas, but think that perhpas they didn't offer enough support to my feet and ankles on very rough terrain or through the mountains. I found that my legs got very tired. But at least I didnt' have blisters!

There is also a ton of information here regarding walking the Francés in the summer. I've done it twice - both times in summer and if you avoid the large cities and albergues at the "end of the etaps" according to the guide books, you can gerenrally find a place without a problem. If you "follow the crowd" and stay strictly to the etapas as outlined in the popular guide books, you will have a much more difficult time.

Buen Caminio,

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back