• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just saying hi...

Shari Russell

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there everyone!

Just thought I’d try out my posting *legs* here and give a shout out!
I’m hoping to arrive in Pamplona (bus from Barcelona) Saturday, July 7th and I am both excited and nervous. This will be my first time on the Camino and I’m doing it without cellphone and pre booking. Those are the 2 things that are making me nervous.

If anyone would like to reassure me that all will be OK, I’d love to hear it!

Best regards,
Shari

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Welcome @Shari Russell ,

Good shout @Kosmos. I started at almost exactly the same time last year and even booking over 3 months in advance I paid over €100 for a very basic room about 6km out of town. If you can, get far out of Pamplona as quickly as possible. I had a pretty hedonistic streak as a younger man and even for me St Fermin was not a pretty sight, or more to the point smell!

But once you're away from Pamplona it should be plain sailing, I didn't book once and as long as you're prepared to finish before 3 each day (which still leaves a potential 9 hours for walking if you start around sunrise) like me , you should have no trouble.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Might it be worth walking back from Pamplona to the albergue at Trinidad de Arre? I assume that those attending San Firmin would not be staying there - perhaps I am wrong.:rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
YES!!!!
Thank you Rob.... you and Tincatinker have helped solidify my thoughts about gettin’ outta there as swiftly as possible. The early mornings and early arrivals in *whatever places* are what I’m aiming for. Great encouragement, thanks.

Shari

@Shari Russell EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK! Maintain that positive attitude, and embrace the chaos of the San Fermin Festival. I mean how cool is that (minus the smell:eek:). Remember the Camino provides, but be open to what it provides.:D:cool:
Great advice... I shall see what I see.... my time of arrival into Pamplona might be the first deciding factor! Going to find a ticket tomorrow.... wish me luck!

Shari

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Might it be worth walking back from Pamplona to the albergue at Trinidad de Arre? I assume that those attending San Firmin would not be staying there - perhaps I am wrong.:rolleyes:
Good idea or moving forward to the other destinations as well. I’ll see what time I am to arrive in Pamplona and take it from there. :rolleyes:

Shari

Shari, there is a local bus that runs very near the Pamplona bus station and takes you to Cizur Menor, the nearest village after Pamplona. Equally, you can walk, as you can see it is less than 5km, giving you a nice wee stretch after being on the bus from Barcelona..
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 23.25.33.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congrats on leaving your phone behind! If you really need prebooking at any one point - One of the other 99pc phone carrying people will help you out, for sure. My experience at least. Buen Camino!

And also, speaking as a woman who has travelled a lot solo and doesn't easily get put off by things..., I probably also would get out of Pamplona as soon as possilbe with so much alcohol/testosterone mixes going on at the time. Just saying...
Other than that, you will be absolutely fine and you will find other pilgrims very supportive, I believe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
San Fermin lasts till 14th, so perhaps a better idea to move forward... of course it is ok to have a peek at the city and enjoy the atmosphere, but then move on to Cizur or Zaraquiegi, or even Uterga, depending on beds.

Shari, there is a local bus that runs very near the Pamplona bus station and takes you to Cizur Menor, the nearest village after Pamplona. Equally, you can walk, as you can see it is less than 5km, giving you a nice wee stretch after being on the bus from Barcelona..
View attachment 44347
Thanks for this... will be a super option and I’ll see what my body wants me to do after the bus ride. ;)

And also, speaking as a woman who has travelled a lot solo and doesn't easily get put off by things..., I probably also would get out of Pamplona as soon as possilbe with so much alcohol/testosterone mixes going on at the time. Just saying...
Other than that, you will be absolutely fine and you will find other pilgrims very supportive, I believe.
Thank you for sharing your perspective on this, it is appreciated. I feel like I’m going to move on after my arrival, if all presents in a smooth manner. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola Shari!
I admire your spirit to let go and let...whatever happens! After three pilgrimages, I am finally going to walk my fourth without my cell phone. I have rarely made reservations, as I am not sure where I will land each day, one of the delights of this experience! The only thing I really used my phone for was the camera...my plan from the US is 20 cents/minute, which was only used twice (once on Mother's Day to call my mom and the other to call American Airlines after a missed flight!) So good for you. As mentioned, there are plenty of folks around (pilgrims and locals) who will help you if you need to make a local call. As far as San Fermin, stay calm and walk ON! But try to appreciate it ALL!
Buen Camino y Ultreia!!
elle

Hola Shari!
I admire your spirit to let go and let...whatever happens! After three pilgrimages, I am finally going to walk my fourth without my cell phone. I have rarely made reservations, as I am not sure where I will land each day, one of the delights of this experience! The only thing I really used my phone for was the camera...my plan from the US is 20 cents/minute, which was only used twice (once on Mother's Day to call my mom and the other to call American Airlines after a missed flight!) So good for you. As mentioned, there are plenty of folks around (pilgrims and locals) who will help you if you need to make a local call. As far as San Fermin, stay calm and walk ON! But try to appreciate it ALL!
Buen Camino y Ultreia!!
elle
So great to hear from you Elle.... I am getting so excited!! All these notes, tidbits and encouragement are really filling my basket.
Thank you! :)
Shari

I love the idea of being " unreachable"

I remember years ago I saw a receptionist with a headset in a washroom answering calls and thought that in the future the real luxury will be to be unreachable......
The future has arrived!
Enjoy it!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
YES!
What most of you *maybe* wouldn’t have guessed.... I don’t have a cellphone in general. Drives everyone around me crazy and I don’t care... it doesn’t align with my values.

Shari

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.