• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

KUMANO KODO not the Camino

dick bird

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
We have just come back from Japan having walked part of the Kumano Kodo - it is a network or routes linking several shrines and holy places rather than a route or routes to one destination like the Camino de Santiago. I walked the Nakahechi, by far the most popular and best-known, and the Kohechi, less well-known but also quite well-travelled, in particular by Japanese people.

There are a couple of other differences as well, so for the benefit of any of you thinking of walking the Kumano Kodo, here they are:

• Accommodation - there are no albergues, not even a system of refuges and shelters. You have to book in advance. There is high demand, especially in Spring and Autumn so you need to do this well beforehand. There are two ways to do this, either through the Kii Tanabe Tourist office (which apparently is maddeningly slow and cumbersome) or through an organised tour. We chose a self-guided tour. Kumano Kodo Travel are the biggest. We used an Australian company called 'Home Comfort's Hiking' and they were excellent. The accommodation was mainly in Minshukus, i.e. homestay, a room in someone's house so you get a very real introduction to Japanese lifestyle and culture. They provide dinner, breakfast and if there is nowhere to get lunch, a bento box for later, all absolutely delicious. Wild camping is technically illegal in Japan, but it goes on. A lot of the Japanese pilgrims we met or passed were camping out. It is quite wild terrain so they all very well-prepared and equipped. I wouldn't advise it.
  • The track - the Camino de Santiago is mainly a walking track or path. The Kumano Kodo is much more of a hiking trail. It is often uneven or slippery, and a lot of it is very steep so parts of it put a lot of strain on your stamina and your knees. But the Nakahechi is doable for anyone with a normal level of fitness. The Kohechi is a different proposition. The Kohechi is mostly a straightforward hiking trail. However, it is very steep with up to 900 mts of ascent in a few kilometres of distance followed by an equally steep descent down the other side. It is very hard work. There are also one or two sections where it can be treacherous. The trail traverses slopes so on one side there is a very steep drop-off. The path is also quite narrow - wide enough for one person to walk but not for two to walk side by side or pass each other. Most of of the slopes are wooded, so if you slipped and fell you wouldn't fall very far, but you could injure yourself quite badly if you were unlucky. Unfortunately, there are sometimes also landslips where there is nothing but loose scree between you and the bottom of the mountain. This is very challenging if you get vertigo. Even without vertigo, you need to be very careful. The waymarks were good. There are not little yellow arrows every 100 mts or so but there was clear signposting at every junction, not that there were many, and although I had wikilocs trails downloaded, I never used them and was never lost or even unsure of the way.
Incidentally, we didn't see any bears.

Having said all that, it was a great experience. The landscape is beautiful, and all the people we met were extraordinarily kind, patient and helpful, even more than Spanish people and that is a pretty high bar. We plan to go back.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wonderful description @dick bird And couldn’t agree more about the people and landscape. We walked the Nakahechi trail in 2019. And plan to return to walk another trail. ❤️🇯🇵❤️.

We used the local community online reservation system to reserve our accommodation. It was quite an undertaking. Your description of ‘maddeningly slow and cumbersome’ is entirely accurate. ☺️.

PS. I’ve made a note of Home Comforts Hiking for next time 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
We have just come back from Japan having walked part of the Kumano Kodo - it is a network or routes linking several shrines and holy places rather than a route or routes to one destination like the Camino de Santiago. I walked the Nakahechi, by far the most popular and best-known, and the Kohechi, less well-known but also quite well-travelled, in particular by Japanese people.

There are a couple of other differences as well, so for the benefit of any of you thinking of walking the Kumano Kodo, here they are:

• Accommodation - there are no albergues, not even a system of refuges and shelters. You have to book in advance. There is high demand, especially in Spring and Autumn so you need to do this well beforehand. There are two ways to do this, either through the Kii Tanabe Tourist office (which apparently is maddeningly slow and cumbersome) or through an organised tour. We chose a self-guided tour. Kumano Kodo Travel are the biggest. We used an Australian company called 'Home Comfort's Hiking' and they were excellent. The accommodation was mainly in Minshukus, i.e. homestay, a room in someone's house so you get a very real introduction to Japanese lifestyle and culture. They provide dinner, breakfast and if there is nowhere to get lunch, a bento box for later, all absolutely delicious. Wild camping is technically illegal in Japan, but it goes on. A lot of the Japanese pilgrims we met or passed were camping out. It is quite wild terrain so they all very well-prepared and equipped. I wouldn't advise it.
  • The track - the Camino de Santiago is mainly a walking track or path. The Kumano Kodo is much more of a hiking trail. It is often uneven or slippery, and a lot of it is very steep so parts of it put a lot of strain on your stamina and your knees. But the Nakahechi is doable for anyone with a normal level of fitness. The Kohechi is a different proposition. The Kohechi is mostly a straightforward hiking trail. However, it is very steep with up to 900 mts of ascent in a few kilometres of distance followed by an equally steep descent down the other side. It is very hard work. There are also one or two sections where it can be treacherous. The trail traverses slopes so on one side there is a very steep drop-off. The path is also quite narrow - wide enough for one person to walk but not for two to walk side by side or pass each other. Most of of the slopes are wooded, so if you slipped and fell you wouldn't fall very far, but you could injure yourself quite badly if you were unlucky. Unfortunately, there are sometimes also landslips where there is nothing but loose scree between you and the bottom of the mountain. This is very challenging if you get vertigo. Even without vertigo, you need to be very careful. The waymarks were good. There are not little yellow arrows every 100 mts or so but there was clear signposting at every junction, not that there were many, and although I had wikilocs trails downloaded, I never used them and was never lost or even unsure of the way.
Incidentally, we didn't see any bears.

Having said all that, it was a great experience. The landscape is beautiful, and all the people we met were extraordinarily kind, patient and helpful, even more than Spanish people and that is a pretty high bar. We plan to go back.
And wonderful to meet you on the trail!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked in 2019 as well. I found the Kumano Travel service to be great, and they are local, so supporting them means I am supporting the local economy. Going through other companies outside of Japan takes money away from the KK.

Most people who complain about the process are not aware of the local culture and don't seem to understand that there is little to no desire for the KK to become the chaos of the Camino. It's a very special experience and I would say I almost preferred it to the Camino because you have to be more intentional about the walk and you cannot just wing it. This keeps a lot of the "tourigrinos" away, as I am sure the cost does as well. It's not cheap. But when you realize the cost includes all your meals (and wow, how amazing was the food!), it's not so bad, by Japanese standards.

Hi @HeidiL

I've walked only the Nakahechi Trail, on the Kumano Kodo as part of three weeks travelling in Japan. It was wonderful. As I posted earlier, @dick bird has given a great description. We have such wonderful memories of this time, the glorious scenery, the FOOD and the warmth of the local people we met, especially in our home stays.

We made all our own bookings using the community online reservation system, rather than a package offered by either Kumano Travel or another provider. I agreed with the comment above that I found the system 'maddeningly slow and cumbersome'. It was not a complaint, just a statement of fact. There were times when I almost gave up. But I also appreciate the reasons why it's so slow and cumbersome, including this as stated on the Kumano Travel home page. '... many of the accommodations in our community are small, family-owned establishments that do not use computers often.

Here's a link to the Kumano Travel Site.

For those who want to make arrangements directly using the community reservation system as we did, I'd recommend starting as soon as you know your preferred travel dates. One of the aspects of the system (at least when I used it) is you need to choose and receive confirmation of where you are staying, say, for night 1, in order to reserve night 2. The bookings are not in real time. Confirmations sometimes took 7-10 days and 40% of the time we were unable to stay in our first or even second choice. So, it was back to the drawing board. It took me weeks just to secure 5 nights accommodation. With hindsight, I'd have started booking much earlier than we did as we may have had less difficulty.

Kumano Travel does offer self guided packages, infrequently, where they will have made all the bookings. That would be a good option, if the dates happened to suit. We would look at that next time.

In addition, there are other reputable providers - who have a good relationship with Kumano Travel (we discovered that while we were there) - including the one mentioned by @dick bird .

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back