• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Chemin du Piemont Pryeneen

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Astorga to Santiago, 2015 Le Puy to St JPP, 2016 Lisbon to Santiago
(2018) Camino via Arverna
I am considering the walk called Voie du Piemont Pyreneen, but starting from Carcasonne on late August this year.
I would be keen to hear from anyone who can offer advice on this walk, esp stages that are extra long.
I will add to the calendar starting on the 20th August, but this may change. At this stage I am walking on my own.
malcolm

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Carcassonne to what destination?

St Jean Pied de Porte according to the various guide books I have read. I see you have walked to Lourdes, so you would be familiar with part of the journey.
regards
malcolm

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I walked from Biarritz to Lourdes, but detoured to Pamplona and the Aragones, getting back on to the Piemont at Marie St Oloron to Lourdes. The stages i walked were all good lengths and very pleasant in May, but no idea about August. We did have food issues due to holidays and Mondays, but nothing terrible. Very few pilgrims when we walked but gorgeous scenery relieved our loneliness.

i used the gronze.com guide and found the path very easy to follow. By far our favorite gite was the pilgrim house in Lourdes (you can stay two nights if you are visiting the shrine). Calling ahead the Night before or early in the day to the next gite was pretty important as some were unstaffed/locked and pre let them know we were coming.

Given your past Caminos, you should have no problems.

It's a great route, but I didn't like Lourdes or Carcassonne - too busy for me.

I am considering the walk called Voie du Piemont Pyreneen, but starting from Carcasonne on late August this year.
I would be keen to hear from anyone who can offer advice on this walk, esp stages that are extra long.
I will add to the calendar starting on the 20th August, but this may change. At this stage I am walking on my own.
malcolm
Good choice!
I walked from Beziers to Carcassonne along the Canal du Midí and continued to Pamiers 9 days in May 2019. Lovely part of the Camino. In September same year I started in Lourdes and walked to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port in 8 days. I will definitely try to walk the Pamiers to Lourdes this summer.
From Beziers to Pamiers I only met two other pilgrims and some very nice locals, including a young horse that followed me for a few km in the forests. Lovely walk and nice places for sleeping and eating. From Lourdes to SJPP there were rather many pilgrims and a bit touristic, although beautiful landscape.
Buon Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
malcolm
Carolus Peregrinator walked this route in 2014 and blogged about it. I can't find the link on my phone...you might like to do a google search....

Carolus Peregrinator walked this route in 2014 and blogged about it. I can't find the link on my phone...you might like to do a google search....
malcolm
The link is www.carolusperegrinator.com
I have walked this route twice and last year volunteered with Jean- Louis Doux who owns the gîte La Ruche in Lourdes which caters specifically for those who are walking the Way of St James.It is a highly recommended
gîte.15 euro b/b and donation for dinner.It is advisable to book by telephone .There are only 9 places.Jean - Louis is a charming host and goes out of his way to cater for the needs of the pilgrims.

The link is www.carolusperegrinator.com
I have walked this route twice and last year volunteered with Jean- Louis Doux who owns the gîte La Ruche in Lourdes which caters specifically for those who are walking the Way of St James.It is a highly recommended
gîte.15 euro b/b and donation for dinner.It is advisable to book by telephone .There are only 9 places.Jean - Louis is a charming host and goes out of his way to cater for the needs of the pilgrims.
Mournes, how did you find the route? I walked the Gebenennsis, Le Puy and RLS in France and wonder about how this route compares.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mournes, how did you find the route? I walked the Gebenennsis, Le Puy and RLS in France and wonder about how this route compares.
Hi Gitti
I walked it for the first time in 2014 from Carcassonne.It is a beautiful route with wonderful views of the Pyrenees.There is a free booklet which lists the Accueils Jacquaire where local volunteers invite pilgrims into their homes .They normally provide b/b and an evening meal.The route is very well waymarked.I liked it so much I walked it again in 2018.There are also municipal gîtes but they don't provide meals.
Speaking of Carolus Peregrinator I have had the pleasure of meeting him twice on the camino in Spain.It's a small world.I have walked most ,if not all ,the routes in France.
Without hesitation I recommend La Voie de Piémont Pyrénéens.

Hi Gitti
I walked it for the first time in 2014 from Carcassonne.It is a beautiful route with wonderful views of the Pyrenees.There is a free booklet which lists the Accueils Jacquaire where local volunteers invite pilgrims into their homes .They normally provide b/b and an evening meal.The route is very well waymarked.I liked it so much I walked it again in 2018.There are also municipal gîtes but they don't provide meals.
Speaking of Carolus Peregrinator I have had the pleasure of meeting him twice on the camino in Spain.It's a small world.I have walked most ,if not all ,the routes in France.
Without hesitation I recommend La Voie de Piémont Pyrénéens.
That sounds magnificent, thank you and I very much enjoyed the Accueil Jacquaire experience on the Geneva Route.
Do you know, where I could obtain an Accueil Jacquaires booklet for the route?

Last edited:
That sounds magnificent, thank you and I very much enjoyed the Accueil Jacquaire experience on the Geneva Route.
Do you know, where I could obtain an Accueil Jacquaires booklet for the route?
Jean- Louis distributed the booklets to the Accueils Jacquaires.I did have one but unfortunately after a search here at home I haven't found it otherwise I would have been more than happy to send it on to you.I used the Topo Guide which does list some of the accomodation that I stayed in.You can phone Jean- Louis on 0624990121 or it' s probably available from the tourist office in Lourdes.The Accueil Pèlerin Notre Dame de L'abbaye Carcassonne email ndaa@wanadoo.fr should have that information .I am sorry I can't be more helpful.
email address ndaa@wanadoo.fr

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jean- Louis distributed the booklets to the Accueils Jacquaires.I did have one but unfortunately after a search here at home I haven't found it otherwise I would have been more than happy to send it on to you.I used the Topo Guide which does list some of the accomodation that I stayed in.You can phone Jean- Louis on 0624990121 or it' s probably available from the tourist office in Lourdes.The Accueil Pèlerin Notre Dame de L'abbaye Carcassonne email ndaa@wanadoo.fr should have that information .I am sorry I can't be more helpful.
email address ndaa@wanadoo.fr
Very helpful! Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
malcolm
I am interested in this route as well. But alas with Covid not this year. I did the Le Puy route and loved it. Have you found any more resources for Piemont Route?

I walked small parts of it in 2019, but found “printed” resources in English to be limited (except when I reached my end point in Lourdes where there where several guides available! 😂)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aha found this recent pdf guide in French

Attachments

• Guide 2019 des haltes Saint-Jacques, voie du Piémont-Pyrénéen Montpellier via Carcassonne.pdf
    531.7 KB · Views: 14
malcolm
Were you able to find resources for this camino? Did you walk? I have never heard of this route. I googled and the Confraternity of St. James says that "This is one of the most beautiful of pilgrim caminos with respect to both the natural and the built environment." Now I am intrigued. I am interested in any information that you might have been able to obtain. Bon chemin.

Were you able to find resources for this camino? Did you walk? I have never heard of this route. I googled and the Confraternity of St. James says that "This is one of the most beautiful of pilgrim caminos with respect to both the natural and the built environment." Now I am intrigued. I am interested in any information that you might have been able to obtain. Bon chemin.
Hi Hieudovan,
No I didnt walk this route but purchased two guides in my search for information.
Olivier Guix, Le Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen ( Rando edition)
Topo guides, ref 780, Le Chemin du piemont pyreneen vers Saint Jacques de Compostelle
Sorry cant be of more help
mal

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Hieudovan,
No I didnt walk this route but purchased two guides in my search for information.
Olivier Guix, Le Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen ( Rando edition)
Topo guides, ref 780, Le Chemin du piemont pyreneen vers Saint Jacques de Compostelle
Sorry cant be of more help
mal
Thank you mal.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.