• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy Budget

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I really can't remember for sure but think 50/day would be quite generous. The accommodation in France is more expensive than in Spain and so is the food.

The Le Puy route is stunningly beautiful and well worth the extra cost.

50 seems very generous, a night in a gite will cost 8-12 Euros, if you buy and prepare your own food in every gite it will add up to 15 Euros top. Drinks and snacks along the way- 3-6 a day. If you have dinner at the gite it can add up to 15 euros.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are many good restaurants and staying in a chambre dhote with a local is very worthwhile. If you have a bigger budget, this is route where it will pay off.

I stayed in demipension gites the majority of the time (includes dinner and breakfast); there were a few nights in less expensive municipal gites and about the same number in more expensive small hotels. On average that was 35-40 euros/night; for lunch/snacks add 5 euros a day. This does not include transit to and from.

Some have cooking facilities but this is not universal; some are near restaurants if they do not serve food themselves. The municipals will be less expensive overall than the private accommodations.

zammy said:
50 seems very generous, a night in a gite will cost 8-12 Euros, if you buy and prepare your own food in every gite it will add up to 15 Euros top. Drinks and snacks along the way- 3-6 a day. If you have dinner at the gite it can add up to 15 euros.
We're actually not far off each other in our estimates and I must apologise for having my Australian hat on when I originally replied. I usually budget for $AU30/day in Spain and $AU50/day in France. On current exchange rates that works out at about 23€ and 39€ respectively.

I usually stay in communal gites and eat in cafés when I'm in France, you could cut this cost down by preparing meals in the gites which usually have better equipped kitchens than the albergues in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back