• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route in September-October

Stringbean

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Le Puy - Santiago ( 2017 )
Good day, Folks.....

I would like to ask for some advice about walking the route from Le Puy to SJPDP from around mid September to mid October...........How crowded is that section then...?

Most sources mention that June - August is very crowded on all the caminos, and that spring and fall are normally less so....However, a number of them also say that this pattern is changing, and that spring and fall are becoming quite full now as well.............

Do you think mid September - mid October is a good time to walk the Le Puy section...? Would finding space in alberge's/ gites / campsites be problematic then.....? I am concerned that if I were to wait until October to start, much of the accommodation will be closed........

Many thanks for your suggestions and insight...........

go well
SB

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sb
I enjoyed this route last year. Started le puy early sept - sjpdp early oct16

Since the usual thing on the routes in France is to book the gites ahead, you should find no problem getting a bed.
Use Miam Miam dodo guide for a comprehensive list of all gites and chamber D'hotes Etc / the Michelin guide is good for an easy picture of what to expect for next day's walk and also includes a few accommodation choices. Take both. You can buy these easily in France /in Le Puy , Conques, sjpdp, etc etc.
We did learn early on though, to book the accommodation for the upcoming 'weekends' by mid week. If left until the day before, you may have to phone a few before you find vacancies. The French like to go walking on the weekend; the gites are not only booked by pilgrims on the way to sjpdp or Santiago.

There were many more people leaving Le Puy in a huge bubble after the early mass. The good thing was that there was no race or rush as most knew their accommodation was arranged. The numbers were much greater walking the first 10 odd days to Conques. It appears to settle a bit after Conques.

Absolutely beautiful way and gets better each day.

Bon Chemin
Annie

Accommodations on the Le Puy route have not expanded greatly in the last decade, so they have not overbuilt and become seasonal. The weather is beautiful in Sept.-Nov. I do not think you will have a problem finding beds. The French call ahead, even if it is only a day ahead, so you should follow this convention. Since traffic will have slowed from the summer months, hosts will not be waiting around for a few stragglers! They may be very welcoming, but they may also take days off spontaneously. At a municipal gite, we had reservations, but when we arrived, all the beds were taken. When the hostess arrived, she threw out all the squatters (who found space in the yard), and gave the beds to those with the "reservations." The ambience is quite different from the Camino Frances, so be prepared for it. Bon chemin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
September is very popular for walking the Le Puy route, but the majority will be starting early in the month. So you'll be fine with the numbers. The later one goes into the fall, the more frequently you'll encounter rainy days. On the other hand, the temperatures will be a little cooler and more comfortable. Once you're past Conques and into October, you might want to be calling ahead two days in advance, and then re-confirming one day in advance, just to make sure lodgings are open. Many lodgings won't close until after All Saints Day (Toussaint), but there are also nationwide school holidays in mid-October that may impact availability.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back