• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy to Santiago or Saint Jean to Finisterre?

Bear

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Frances 2012.
Future: Camino Frances 2020
I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 from Saint Jean to Santiago with my wife and we are hoping to walk again this year as we enjoyed it so much.

We have heard the Le Puy route is also a fabulous experience and would appreciate opinions as to walking the Camino Frances again, but this time to Finisterre, walking the Le Puy route to Saint Jean as an alternative or walking the full route from Le Puy to Finisterre.

Thankfully, time is not an issue although cost is obviously a consideration.

We would hopefully start walking after Easter, towards the end of April 2014.

We have retained a basic level of fitness and walk around 7km everyday, with occasional 14km walks so fitness is not an issue as there is plenty of time to increase our activity levels.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Bear,
Welcome to the forum.
Can't offer you a great deal of advice as have not walked Le Puy, yet. Planning to do that after Easter ourselves.
One issue to consider is time factor (90 days Schengen visa if you're from outside the Euro zone), particularly if you like to take your time and if you are quicker whether you want to walk from SJPP on in June/July.
I enjoyed going on to Finisterre last time, but much preferred finishing at Muxia (unfortunately, the beautiful church was badly damaged recently).
Buen Camino
Colin

Thanks Colin,

I'm ok as regards the visa as I'm from the UK and currently living in Southern Spain.

We walked in June/early July 2012 and only had 2 uncomfortably hot days.

It's a good thought to finish in Muxia as I have no reason to return to Santiago other than following a Brierley guide. :)

Best wishes,

Michael

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
France is more expensive than Spain. One reason is that you have the option of demi-pension in many accommodations, and that costs 27-32E per person (bed, dinner, and breakfast). When you add lunch, coffee, and snacks, expect to spend 35-40E per day per person. Fewer accommodations have kitchens for self-catering, so you will find yourself taking the demi-pension. You will enjoy the variety of food and chefs, so I view the cost as money well spent, but it is not like bocadillos and menu peregrino day after day and a 7E bunk bed. Many accommodations are rooms in private homes.

France is more expensive than Spain. One reason is that you have the option of demi-pension in many accommodations, and that costs 27-32E per person (bed, dinner, and breakfast). When you add lunch, coffee, and snacks, expect to spend 35-40E per day per person. Fewer accommodations have kitchens for self-catering, so you will find yourself taking the demi-pension. You will enjoy the variety of food and chefs, so I view the cost as money well spent, but it is not like bocadillos and menu peregrino day after day and a 7E bunk bed. Many accommodations are rooms in private homes.

Thanks falcon269, do you have a preference for the Le Puy Route or the Camino Frances in term of which you enjoyed the most?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What made the Le Puy route more enjoyable for you?

The pilgrims (mostly French), the French hospitality, the food, the pastries, and the town square markets. The scenery also is great, and several of the accommodations were monasteries. One, now closed, was on the site of an archeological dig of a second century Roman bath house. The churches and chapels are mostly open. Graffiti is less; the litter is less. The ambiance is that the pilgrims are less driven, more religious, and stop to enjoy cultural sites more often. Yet, the pilgrims seem to cover a lot of distance. I am a slow walker, so it is not unusual that others move ahead, but the French were more regularly walking 30km days, while I crapped out after 20-23! For me that just means always making new friends.

Still, the Camino Frances is the hands down winner for sheer convenience. I can pretty much grab my pack and head for it, knowing that beds and food are waiting every 5 km!

You have summed up my dilemma perfectly when you say "Still, the Camino Frances is the hands down winner for sheer convenience. I can pretty much grab my pack and head for it, knowing that beds and food are waiting every 5 km!"

The Le Puy route sounds a great experience.

Many thanks for your help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back