• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Le Puy en Velay to Saint Jean Pied de Port in November

Jenny S

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2017, CF 2018.
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to start a slow camino from Le Puy to Saint Jean Pied de Port on 2nd October. How is the weather in November? Is there sufficient accommodation and food places open and is there bag transport?
Thanks,
Intrepid Jenny

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jenny, I know that there is a luggage transport between Le Puy and Conques. After that, I don't know, as I didn't use it. You can use Gronze-Website to find accommodations. Here is another Website with accommodations, you have to check if they are open this late time of the year, probably with snow on your way. Buon camino Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
La Malle Postale does part of the route until mid-October https://www.lamallepostale.com/en/services/transport-de-bagages, Transports Claudine does the rest of the route with a similar time frame. Check with them for exact dates as they sometimes vary but both usually shut down early to mid-October as do many other seasonal services and gîtes d'étape. https://www.claudine32.com/transports-de-bagages. I had a fair amount of rain in late October in the Aubrac, although the weather was usually cool and good for walking.

Thank you. Maybe I should walk for 2 weeks, then walk the camino Portuguese from Porto in late October and November. How is the weather in Portugal?

The weather will be milder the further south you walk. The beginning of the Le Puy route--Le Puy to Conques--is higher in altitude and the terrain is more difficult.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone,
I am planning to start a slow camino from Le Puy to Saint Jean Pied de Port on 2nd October. How is the weather in November? Is there sufficient accommodation and food places open and is there bag transport?
Thanks,
Intrepid Jenny
Hi Jenny, we are walking in June/July as we understand a lot of the Gites will start to close in October.
Are you a where there is an English book on this walk and it has a lot of the Gites in it and what they provide.
I can give you the details if you need it.
Plus there is an Aussie girl that has written a lot about this Camino and again she has a number of the Gites in it.
Let me know if you want contact details.

I think this is a best idea to walk in Portugal than in France during November.
If you are not familiar with cold, I do not recommend to walk on the Aubrac in late autumn or in winter.
My guess is that walking in Portugal during November almost requires a good rain suit...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think this is a best idea to walk in Portugal than in France during November.
If you are not familiar with cold, I do not recommend to walk on the Aubrac in late autumn or in winter.
My guess is that walking in Portugal during November almost requires a good rain suit...

Hi Everyone,
Thanks,
Intrepid Jenny
I've heard that the Aubrac plateau is closed to pilgrims when there is too much snow or when the weather is potentially dangerous (same with the route from SJPP to Roncesvalles.) It is a beautiful section of the Camino. I stayed at the monastery for one night in Conques, which was an experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The weather will be milder the further south you walk. The beginning of the Le Puy route--Le Puy to Conques--is higher in altitude and the terrain is more difficult.
Yes and no -- and that part of the route would seem to be in October. And the October 2024 weather is intrinsically unpredictable ; probably not too bad though -- that is still the South of France.

Getting into November towards Gascogne and then towards the Pyrenees, the weather might well get worse or not, depending on how dry or wet of an Autumn it will be.

Though I would plan for rain in any case ...

I've very little experience of the Le Puy route, but I did find places to stay in early January this year on the short section that I walked.

May I should aim for April/ May on the Camino from Le Puy. How is the weather usually then? I don’t like heat and I don’t like a lot of rain!
May is the busiest month on this route because of the French holidays, which the French walkers bridge to take advantage of them. That being said, the busiest portion is the Le Puy-en-Velay to Conques segment, so if you start in April you should be past that. You should be getting the spring flowers so that is the nice part, although there could be some mud from spring rains. The busiest times on this route are May and September because the weather is usually best, although in recent years September has often been still quite warm.

May I should aim for April/ May on the Camino from Le Puy. How is the weather usually then? I don’t like heat and I don’t like a lot of rain!
It is unlikely to be hot in April / May ... but you may well get rain - or maybe not. That's impossible to predict but it’s likely there will be some rain. But, one thing is certain, it is a beautiful path.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Jenny, I let you know a few days of early morning temperatures in April 2017. The rest you can easily check on my Homepage ElCaminohike.
21.-3°C 22 -3°C 23.-1°C 24.+3°C 25.+4°C

I've heard that the Aubrac plateau is closed to pilgrims when there is too much snow or when the weather is potentially dangerous
I can not comment on closures on the tops across the plateau.

I walked from Le Puy in April 2016. The heavens had opened the day before and a few paths that first day had minor streams ...

The day before Nasbinals, I noticed very slender red poles, about 2 metres high, beside the road.
They were about 20 metres apart.
At (or towards) the top was a white band.
There was another white band about 500 mm from the top.

To keep occupied, I made up a fictional purpose for the red poles with the two white bands.
After a while I settled on this:
1) if the snow is just below the lower white band, seek shelter.
2) if the snow is just below the upper white band, pray
3) if you can not see any poles, then ...

It is unlikely to be hot in April / May ... but you may well get rain - or maybe not. That's impossible to predict but it’s likely there will be some rain. But, one thing is certain, it is a beautiful path.
Agreed

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just walked the Le Puy route to Congues in Mid November. This is what I have to share.

First, I do not advise a November hike. Although I expected to walk the route with very few people I was surprise to be the only Pilgrim on the route for 10 Days. Where you stop is a matter of where you can secure a Gite or Hotel. With 90% of the Gites closed by October 31, it is imperative that you secure a reservation in a Gite a day or two before arriving at your stage. Sunday and Monday is a challenge in tryin to reach people by phone or email.

Meals are not always available since cooking for one is not always something a hospitalier wants to do. I found carrying my own food was appreciated. I would eat when I spot a restaurant on the way or get a sandwich to go.

Expect many day of rain, muddy ground everyday, slippery leaf covers rocky down slopes and many areas where you have to submerge your feet in one foot of freezing water to cross a stream. Get the water proof shoes and a few plastic bags to place your feet in. The temperature on some days had a 20% swing, 40% mornings and 60% by midday.so layers was essential

We were advised that there may still be snow on the early stages if you start in April so just be careful, we opted to walk the Frances starting on 10th April and Le Puy on the 20th June

I've heard that the Aubrac plateau is closed to pilgrims when there is too much snow or when the weather is potentially dangerous (same with the route from SJPP to Roncesvalles.) It is a beautiful section of the Camino. I stayed at the monastery for one night in Conques, which was an experience.
nup, the Aubrac plateau is not closed to hikers when there is too much snow ... in a practical sense how would they [the relevant authorities] do this??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back