A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Leaving Le Puy in Mid March 2014

Camino T-shirt

Ozzie Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
None. But regular hiker.
Hi all,

Any tips for leaving from Ley Puy around mid March this year/2014. I have good quality cold weather gear...
Many others walking that time of the year?

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
Hi Ozzie Pilgrim,
Welcome to the Forum.
I'm leaving Le Puy in April, have you looked at the Calendar in the "EVENTS" tab, near top of this web page.
Bon Chemin
Colin

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Check your email-sent you a long one

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
LePuy, Frances, Aragones, Ingles, Vezelay, Toulosana, Muxia, Fisterra, Portugues, Sanabres
Any tips for leaving from Ley Puy around mid March
It sounds like you know it will be cold at times, so that is about it. Many places will be closed. The resort and one hotel were open in Aubrac last April, and only one restaurant in town was open. Call ahead to verify open places. In March no one hangs around to keep a place open for the few pilgrims, but most are willing to be open if they know someone is coming. Be courteous enough to cancel reservations that you won't be using. Reserving one or two days in advance is adequate. Have your host call if you cannot handle French over the phone. Bonne route.

Sue M

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP-Burgos(2012)Leon-Santiago(2013)Sarria- Santiago(Sept 2013),Frances (coach,2013),Le Puy-Conques(May 2014), parish pilgrimage organised for June 2015.
Leaving Le Puy May 10.

Larazet

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances "2013" had to stop half way due to tendonitis ... Continuing May 2014..postponed to 2015. SdC to Muxia 2016.
Hi all,

Any tips for leaving from Ley Puy around mid March this year/2014. I have good quality cold weather gear...
When you get to Condom, my home town, I have noticed that there is a new Relais des Pelerins at the first crossroads when you arrive from Lectoure. Looks good, not been inside yet, but hope to check it out soon (not that I need it!) night stay is 15 Euros and breakfast is 5 Euros. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance, even one with One Michelin Star!

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
Given that your starting date is only a month away, and seeing the current weather in Europe, I would say: plan for cold weather, and plan to be very flexible. The gite owners will tend to know who is open, the next day or two ahead. I would definitely have your hosts help with ongoing arrangements - probably two nights ahead on a rolling basis. That means: on Monday evening, confirm Tuesday reservation and make Wednesday reservation. Also be very wary of closing dates; when you make the reservation, ask whether there will be shops open for supplies. A small lightweight vacuum flask for hot tea might be very welcome against the chill.

Ozzie Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
None. But regular hiker.
Given that your starting date is only a month away, and seeing the current weather in Europe, I would say: plan for cold weather, and plan to be very flexible. The gite owners will tend to know who is open, the next day or two ahead. I would definitely have your hosts help with ongoing arrangements - probably two nights ahead on a rolling basis. That means: on Monday evening, confirm Tuesday reservation and make Wednesday reservation. Also be very wary of closing dates; when you make the reservation, ask whether there will be shops open for supplies. A small lightweight vacuum flask for hot tea might be very welcome against the chill.
Thank you very much for your reply. Good advice.

Ozzie Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
None. But regular hiker.
When you get to Condom, my home town, I have noticed that there is a new Relais des Pelerins at the first crossroads when you arrive from Lectoure. Looks good, not been inside yet, but hope to check it out soon (not that I need it!) night stay is 15 Euros and breakfast is 5 Euros. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance, even one with One Michelin Star!
Your advice is appreciated.

Ozzie Pilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
None. But regular hiker.
Do you think there will be many parts that are impassable due to the weather?

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-19
Do you think there will be many parts that are impassable due to the weather?
It's at least possible that there will be some parts that are difficult or impassable due to weather. Your gite host will be the local expert on local conditions, so you should be sure to ask - every day - what to expect on that day's route. Get recommendations for an alternate, if things aren't good. For your trip especially, local knowledge will be the key to your success.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Good to hear - I loved Condom but it was one town on the Le Puy route we had trouble getting decent accommodation - so much so that we bypassed it the second time.

Larazet

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances "2013" had to stop half way due to tendonitis ... Continuing May 2014..postponed to 2015. SdC to Muxia 2016.
I'll speak to M. Le Maire!

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
LePuy, Frances, Aragones, Ingles, Vezelay, Toulosana, Muxia, Fisterra, Portugues, Sanabres
The gite in the middle of town was spacious, but required a wait for the opening. It won't help you now unless you have a time machine, but this hotel was reasonable:

http://www.relais-de-la-tenareze.fr/

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Last visit was 4 years ago so I'm sure things have changed.

angelafinnigan

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. Will seek and take local advice at every opportunity.
I stayed at a wonderful ex convent in 2013 in Condom, Ancien Carmel. Great accommodation, food and company. The lady who runs it is warm and welcoming.

irishgurrrl

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2012
Camino Finisterre Oct 2012
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St Jean Pied de Port) April/May 2014
[Kilimanjaro Sept 2014]
Le Puy Route (Le Puy-en-Velay to St-Chely d'Aubrac) May 2015
[Stevenson Route, France - April 2016]
The Way of St Francis (Sansepolcro to Assisi) May 2016
[The West Highland Way, Scotland - Sept 2016]
[The Kerry Way, Ireland - March 2017]
Next up:
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Lugo) end April-mid May 2017
[Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal -- October 2017]
Hi all,

Have you started your walk yet? Let us know how you are getting on :) I am due to start from Le Puy on 15th April :)

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.2%