• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

leaving lisbon early september help with route

james walter purdum iv

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés sept 1, 2015
i am planning to leave lisbon in early september and as i have read there are many routes to porto. which would be the easiest to navigate. i have the breighley guide and will that give me the best route to porto? from there i want to do the coastal route to santiago. any suggestions and general ideas are much appreciated. i walked the camino frances last september and i loved it so much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i am planning to leave lisbon in early september and as i have read there are many routes to porto. which would be the easiest to navigate. i have the breighley guide and will that give me the best route to porto? from there i want to do the coastal route to santiago. any suggestions and general ideas are much appreciated. i walked the camino frances last september and i loved it so much.

I would suggest the online forum guides in the Resources section of the forum. There is one from Lisbon to Porto and one from Porto to Santiago. They have information about the more commonly walked Caminho de Santiago. Leaving from Lisbon, that "traditional"Caminho heads north along the Tejo River. You can also walk the Coastal Caminho from Lisbon, which isn't exactly along the coast, and then finally the Caminho do mar, which does track the coast. You can see posts on the two latter options in this section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/Coastal-Camino-from-Lisbon/

When I first walked from Lisbon, maybe 8 years ago, I met no one. Now you are likely to find a little group, especially in early September, but if you want solitude, go for either the Coastal or the Caminho do Mar. Bom Caminho!

I second Laurie's post and links -
here is the first one of mine - sharing accommodation notes and other experiences - plus photos.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-i.27901/
there is also part II and III

lots of people have provided good info with their own experiences, not just hear-say or guidebooks.
enjoy the preparation ....
and as i recall - there are now sections where one can walk on boardwalks - (somewhere past lisboa) - Diogo spoke of those segments and also provided photos.
Bom Caminho!
c

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Brierley will get you there-from Lisbon there are several long stretches 30 and 30+ kilometer. Don'y land in Lisbon and run off down the Camino, it is worth a good lookaround stamp your credencial in the Cathedral but do visit Monasterio de los Jerónimos to put you in the right mindframe maybe take a ride on the yellow tram #28 will bump and thump you all over town a great experience- I would definetely recommend stopping at Santarem, Tomar-yes, climb the hill for Convento de Cristo , Coimbra as especially interesting, do a bit of research and consider taking in a side trip before Coimbra through the Shrine in Fatima, not everyone's cup of tea but certainly if you are that close why not! and Porto is lovely duck into the train station for a real surprise, Rates and Ponte de Lima also, if you have time hop a bus from Barcelos to Braga for the Bom Jesus shrine and a ride on a 1930's chain drawn tram up that hill, the bridge at Tui/Valença is a realization of the European history of conflict, moving into Spain Pontevedra and the fish market, Padrón with both the Saint James hitching, post - the real one is in the church not the garden outside - and the museum of Galicia's poet(ess) Rosalia de Castro, on to Santiago. A warm welcome guaranteed, interesting food, good wine, just b-e-w-a-r-e the Portuguese driver!
PS Look out for an old fort wearing an Australian bush hat slowly walking after Porto, he looks remarkably like that fellow at the top of this entry.

Most read last week in this forum

I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...
Last night the skies over the Camino Portugués lit up in the most incredible way. It was a mystery to me until I saw the headlines this morning that a meteor had flown overhead. Did anybody else...
Hello! My sister and I are planning to start our Camino de Santiago journey in Porto. We fly in on the 6th at 4:35. Would we be able to walk into an albergue around 5 or 5:30 and find a spot to...
I'm wondering if anyone on the Portuguese Camino saw the meteor last Saturday? Link...
Hello, I am walking the Portuguese Central starting in Porto on July 24. I have read that many people consider the first day out of Porto to be unpleasant because it is too much in the city...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back