• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about early days out of Lisbon

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2018
I have tried to read through a few posts on this topic so that I do not annoyingly repeat questions already asked/answered..I will do my best.
My husband and I are leaving out of Lisbon on August 31st.
I understand that the new route should be finished by then.
Based on what I have read, many people pre-book their accommodations at least for the first few days. Not knowing the route, I am not sure where to spend the first night. The Brierley Book suggests Day 1 walking to Alverca do Ribatejo but I am a bit nervous about such a long first day walk.
Gronze still suggests Alpriate which seems much more doable day 1 but does not show any accommodations (as many above have mentioned).
So, I guess my question is, where would you suggest spending the first night based on the current information available? Or, just show up in Lisbon and trust The Way?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, @Jennifer Partika,

I’ve moved your post to a new thread since it was not specifically asking about the new boardwalk.

Alpriate is definitively closed, unfortunately, but the new boardwalk will bypass it completely so I guess it was inevitable.

Others with better on the ground knowledge can hopefully chip in. But if the new boardwalk is finished, I believe it will take off a good chunk of that first day’s kms, about 7 if I remember correctly. That opens up more possibilities for the first day, without going such long distances, I think.

Another option is to walk on the first day from the cathedral just out to Parque das Nacoes, which is a nice riverside area with lots of attractions. It’s about 8 km from the cathedral, so that would also put you in a better place for starting the next day.

Bom caminho and enjoy Lisbon before you start walking!

Hi Jennifer, that's what we did in May this year. We walked to Parque das Nacoes then took the metro back to our accommodation in Lisbon then took the metro back in the morning and continued on from there. As we had to walk the old route through Alpirate we cut straight down to the Pavoa railway station after going through Alpirate and took the train to Vila Franca de Xira, coming back to Pavoa the next morning to continue. With the new route opening this should open up more flexibility with breaking up this first stage as @peregrina2000 says above. Bom caminho, Linda

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jennifer. Coming from NZ in Spring we decided to ease into the summer conditions so walked the first day to Sacavem @ 12km - plenty of accommodation options. Paralleling the railway line to Santarem gives loads of options we even walked one day and popped to Sintra ! Good luck and will be interested in the feedback on the new route !

I followed the same route last year, (on exactly the same day) anyway, I walked to Alverca de Ribatejo. A long stretch, but nothing too taxing in the way of hills, etc. But that stretch between Savacem and Granja was a bit rough in the heat. I wanted to stay at Alpriate, but had no vaccine ID, so had no choice but to carry on. I digress, Alpriate is closed and the new footpath will cut out that stretch anyway. But yes, there is accommodation in and around Alverca de Ribatejo. I stayed at Alfa 10 Hotel in Verdelha de Baixo. Around 500m-1k off the Camino.€20 for a single room with shared bathroom. Perfectly adequate for a weary pilgrim. And 5 minutes from a hypermarket (and McDonald's 😉)

Bom Caminho

Last edited:
I am on day four right now, my first camino. I walked to Alverca do Ribatejo and stayed at Silvina guest house, didn’t reserve before, and was welcomed with „you’re home now, don’t worry“. 27€ for single with private bathroom on the hall, laundry included, it was lovely. I took a bit of a detour, adding the total day to 35km and I definitely underestimated the sun despite all the precautions I took. Still, it’s doable and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Bypassing with the new trail you might make it to Vila Franca de Xira (still a long way though). From there it’s an easy stretch until Azambuja, and Valada is worth to stop at before Santarém. There’s not a lot of shade so I suggest to start as early as you can, the guys doing 30+ km a day in this heat got up at 4.30am…
As for booking ahead, either not at all or a day in advance is sufficient for me so far. Hope that helps a bit :) I’m still finding my own rhythm.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am on day four right now, my first camino. I walked to Alverca do Ribatejo and stayed at Silvina guest house, didn’t reserve before, and was welcomed with „you’re home now, don’t worry“. 27€ for single with private bathroom on the hall, laundry included, it was lovely. I took a bit of a detour, adding the total day to 35km and I definitely underestimated the sun despite all the precautions I took. Still, it’s doable and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Bypassing with the new trail you might make it to Vila Franca de Xira (still a long way though). From there it’s an easy stretch until Azambuja, and Valada is worth to stop at before Santarém. There’s not a lot of shade so I suggest to start as early as you can, the guys doing 30+ km a day in this heat got up at 4.30am…
As for booking ahead, either not at all or a day in advance is sufficient for me so far. Hope that helps a bit :) I’m still finding my own rhythm.
Thanks for the advice. Hope all is going well on your journey!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Hope all is going well on your journey!
Hi Jennifer
Thanks for posting this question- I've been pondering and looking into the same issue -so now I have a better feel for options... I'll be leaving Lisbon ~31 Aug and will go thru Fatima then onwards to Santiago ...
I did the Camino Frances last year and am very excited about doing the Portuguese Camino! I hope that I cross paths w you and your husband!
Buen Camino!
Ed

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back