• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Lisbon the 22nd of June

Ekelund

Time of past OR future Camino
“It’s your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.” Rumi
Hi Forum, I'm new to the Forum and I want to thank you all for the information I have found regarding my caminowalk. I'm starting my walk in Lisbon the 22nd of June, are there any other forum members starting aronud the same time? I have learned from different treads that walkers usually starts in Porto.
I have 3 weeks for my walk to Santiago. Is it possible to walk all the way to Santiago with two or three restdays included.
Best Regards

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Forum, I'm new to the Forum and I want to thank you all for the information I have found regarding my caminowalk. I'm starting my walk in Lisbon the 22nd of June, are there any other forum members starting aronud the same time? I have learned from different treads that walkers usually starts in Porto.
I have 3 weeks for my walk to Santiago. Is it possible to walk all the way to Santiago with two or three restdays included.
Best Regards
Hej ! Welcome at this interesting forum. It took us 32 days to walk from Lisbon to Santiago with an average pace of 20 kms per day

I think 3 weeks is too short. It is about 600 kms from there but if you do over 30 kms a day and no restdays you would probably do it .if you do not get any injuries, blisters etc. And mind from Lisbon to Porto the places to sleep are less and at a greater distance from each other. if I were you and had three weeks I should start in Porto or eventually in Coimbra.

Godt tur !

Best Regards
He'll EKelund,

My wife and I will be walking out of Lisbon around that time last year we walked from SJPP to Muxia in 28 days ,a little faster than the suggested pace and loved it,your averages are achievable but be prepared.

Greg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have 3 weeks for my walk to Santiago. Is it possible to walk all the way to Santiago with two or three restdays included
It's possible, depending on the distance you like to walk each day. I walked it in 21 days plus one rest day and found it quite manageable.
The distance is 615km (according to Brierley) so you'll average more than 30km a day if you are walking for say 19 days. Accommodation isn't equally spaced so expect a few stages of 40km. But you'll have long days in June, so plenty of walking hours - all fine so long as there's not a heatwave!
Edit/further thought: one alternative to taking 2-3 rest days which necessitate some 40km stages would be to use the extra daylight to start early. Arriving at lunchtimes means you've still plenty of time to do rest day-type things! I think Laurie did something similar on the camino de Levante.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. I think I will shorten my walk, I've read that the first 30 km out of Lisbon is mainly highwaywalking so I think I'll get on at train for the first stretch. When I walked the Camino de Frances, I had days of 40 km walking and it was fine as long as I remembered having breaks. I do like leaving early before sunrise and watch the day begin. But then you never know what happens, I'll wait and see what the camino offers me. And enjoy it.

Best regards
Anette

Just to be slightly annoying and make your decision a little harder... I really enjoyed that first day out of Lisbon. Maybe my critical judgement was clouded by the thrill of starting out, but I only found the last 4-5km into Alverca to be hard work. I concede that some people prefer to avoid walking through cities, but a few of us here get a thrill from peeling back the layers of a city on foot.
Plus... I found the stretch alongside the Tejo at the Vasco de Gama complex to be particularly interesting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/8219539601/in/set-72157632101340755/lightbox/
:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to be slightly annoying and make your decision a little harder... I really enjoyed that first day out of Lisbon. Maybe my critical judgement was clouded by the thrill of starting out, but I only found the last 4-5km into Alverca to be hard work. I concede that some people prefer to avoid walking through cities, but a few of us here get a thrill from peeling back the layers of a city on foot.
Plus... I found the stretch alongside the Tejo at the Vasco de Gama complex to be particularly interesting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrino_tom/8219539601/in/set-72157632101340755/lightbox/
:)
I agree with Tom. We only skipped the day 3 walk of John Brierly's guide Alverca de Ribatejo to Azambuja to avoid walking at the hard shoulder of the busy road by taking the train
Bom caminho

I agree with Tom. We only skipped the day 3 walk of John Brierly's guide Alverca de Ribatejo to Azambuja to avoid walking at the hard shoulder of the busy road by taking the train
Bom caminho

You only walk at the "hard shoulder of the busy road”, until you reach Alhandra, which stays about 5km from Alverca :p

The best thing to do it's to sleep in Vila Franca de Xira, where you have more provided facilities. There is a Residencial in Vila Franca, which has pilgrim discounts. It's a matter for you to book in, and tell them that you are a pilgrim. It works the same has the Albergues, for you to get in (in this case, to get your discount), you have to show your Credential. Coming from Alhandra you have a beautiful river boardwalk to walk in.

Best Regards

3 weeks it's enough if you are going in marathon pace, has Tom said. Just remember that the 40km on the Frances, it's not the same has in the Portuguese. You have a lot of tarmac almost untill the middle of the full Camiño. I think that until Coimbra it's the worst, after that, the landscapes starts to change.
It's your decision, but I think that, with 3 week's, I would start either from Coimbra or from Tomar for example. You will still have a great distance to walk, but you will also have time and space for everything.

Hope that I've helped you.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
I also agree with Tom. I enjoyed walking out of the city to the Expo site and Maritime park. Then along the Tejo river bank and then through the farmland.
I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in 23 days ,but I think you could do it in 3 weeks. Bom Caminho
Maura

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also agree with Tom. I enjoyed walking out of the city to the Expo site and Maritime park. Then along the Tejo river bank and then through the farmland.
I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in 23 days ,but I think you could do it in 3 weeks. Bom Caminho
Maura

Maura, did you reached Santiago in May 10th!? Are you a nurse?

Best Regards
Diogo

Hello Diogo
Yes I met you and your friends when I walked the Caminho Portugese. I recognised you from the photo album you posted especially the one from the public thermal lavadora in Caldas de Reis .I think I also commented on them
Bom Caminho for March/April
Maura

Hello Diogo
Yes I met you and your friends when I walked the Caminho Portugese. I recognised you from the photo album you posted especially the one from the public thermal lavadora in Caldas de Reis .I think I also commented on them
Bom Caminho for March/April
Maura

I have good memorie with faces, not so good memorie with comments :p

I'm going back this year, this time from Ponte de Lima, doing less km per day. I don't want to have sored ankles again. I have also downsized the weight from my backpack.

Everything good for you :)

And thank you very much for the Caminho salut ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One word of warning. The Portuguese are wonderful welcoming people, they think we all, pilgrims and hikers alike, are a bit "touched" in the head but are always willing to help. Almost any question, request, directions will be freely given in great detail, in quickly spoken vibrant Portuguese! Good luck on that one. Now for the warning. The Portuguese driver is numbered, rightfully so, among the very worst in all of Europe-rules of the road are at best recommendations and driving is the best time to talk to those sitting in the back seat. It is extremely dangerous to walk along the roadside even with a reflective vest which you should include and wear whenever you must. The roadside often has no shoulder (remember they think walkers are crazy people) and if there is anything it will be a V-shaped rain culvert. I proudly brandished a Portuguese flag as I walked the roads and came through unscathed. Be Prepared as the Scouts say.

Most read last week in this forum

I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back