• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving St Jean 1st May 2013

hansking

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013) Frances
(2016) Portuguese
(2018) Barcelon
Hi all, I am a first time walker and have given myself to the end of May to reach Santiago. I am a bitt anxious about conditions on the route to Roncesvalles - if anyone has an update I would appreciate it - Hans (South Africa)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Hans, anxious is normal, just your chattering mind wanting certainty whilst your real mind throws you into something new :wink:
There is a whole thread about the weather on the Napoleon pass - but fear not, even if it is bad up there the road route will be open. Check at the pilgrim office for latest conditions and advice when you are at St. Jean.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hans,

Remember that May 1 is the Labor Day holiday in Europe and many pilgrims may be beginning at the same time as you. Transportation and accommodation could be VERY busy. Perhaps you might wish to reserve in advance.

However when you do arrive in Saint-Jean go to the office of the Amies du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Pilgrim Credential and lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle which is a fine place to stay. However they do Not accept reservations, but they DO help pilgrims find other lodging when on site.

On May 1 all banks, post offices and most shops will be closed. If you want food for your walk buy it the night before.

Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margret, your assistance is invaluable - because I am getting the last train of the day from Bayonne to SJPP I will make sure I find accomodation to book today!! With best Hans :D

Hans,

Looks like I will be a day or two behind you & will be walking the month of May as well. I don't anticipate that I will catch up to you....but just know that I'll be bringing up the rear! :wink:

Buen Camino!

~Bethany

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Bethany'! Thanks for your post - you never know maybe we meet! Have a safe and rewarding journey anyway!
Buen camino
Hans

I am also planning to leave SJPP for my first Camino on May 1st. Perhaps we will run into each other along the path.

Cheri

Thats great!! I must still arrange accommodation at sjpp as i arrive latish on the previous day - will still visit the pilgrim office before leaving. Are you planning on getting to Roncesvalles on the 1st as well?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
to all pilgrims who are beginning their journey on 01MAY- be aware it is a holiday in Spain and much of Europe. When I was travelling last year there were times that there was not room at the inn. I don't want to make anyone anxious but just aware. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back