• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lightening up and all that...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Re: Lightning up and all that...

Loved this post Cathie, and will be reading more.... Buen Camino!
Margaret

Re: Lightning up and all that...

KiwiNomad06 said:
Loved this post Cathie, and will be reading more.... Buen Camino!
Margaret

Hi Margaret - Thank you so much. How are you doing? Last time I spoke with you you were training for the mountains - was it the Le Puy route? I thought about you on the Camino as I met a few who had come that way - so humbling some of the distances people had travelled! Thank you again for your inspiring blog it was lovely to get to the Camino and experienced the 'feel' in your writing beforehand. Buen Camino! Stay in touch, Cathie xo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cathie, I did three 'sections' this time.... I started from Cluny and walked from there to Le Puy, then onward as far as Conques. The Cluny-Le Puy bit was 'new' for me. Then I had a break for two weeks in Moissac before catching trains to Pamplona. I then walked from Pamplona to Santo Domingo, then bussed ahead to Hospital de Orbigo, and walked from there to Santiago. All up, I walked for seven weeks, but was away for nearly three months. I have been home for nearly seven weeks, and found it really hard adjusting to the winter cold at first, and now I am just keen for the incessant spring rains to stop!!! But seeing as how I am entering my second spring for the year, I really should stop complaining about the rain, and just enjoy the blossoms!
Margaret

KiwiNomad06 said:
Cathie, I did three 'sections' this time.... I started from Cluny and walked from there to Le Puy, then onward as far as Conques. The Cluny-Le Puy bit was 'new' for me. Then I had a break for two weeks in Moissac before catching trains to Pamplona. I then walked from Pamplona to Santo Domingo, then bussed ahead to Hospital de Orbigo, and walked from there to Santiago. All up, I walked for seven weeks, but was away for nearly three months. I have been home for nearly seven weeks, and found it really hard adjusting to the winter cold at first, and now I am just keen for the incessant spring rains to stop!!! But seeing as how I am entering my second spring for the year, I really should stop complaining about the rain, and just enjoy the blossoms!
Margaret

Oh wow! I can't wait to read your stories about the new for you bit. This sounds a great journey you made and I like the sound of the two week break in Moissac. I am away to have a look at a map to locate Cluny, Conques. I hope the blossoms are everywhere in Palmy now - they are just beginning here - can't wait xo

Cathie, I have written about the 'new for me' bit on this blog: http://clunychemin.blogspot.co.nz/ When the next lot of school hols come around I will add some photos to my 'old' blog for the three bits of the Le Puy- Santiago route that I 're-walked'. Interestingly, one of the things that made the 're-walked' bit completely different this time was the weather. In 2008 I couldn't see anything on the second day of the Aubrac Plateau because of the mist- but this time it was more like 30C and the views were spectacular!
Some blossoms have been and gone here in Palmy, but more are just coming on. Lovely time of the year, and I feel like a 'cheat' as this is the second time I have experienced it this year...
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
KiwiNomad06 said:
Cathie, I have written about the 'new for me' bit on this blog: http://clunychemin.blogspot.co.nz/ When the next lot of school hols come around I will add some photos to my 'old' blog for the three bits of the Le Puy- Santiago route that I 're-walked'. Interestingly, one of the things that made the 're-walked' bit completely different this time was the weather. In 2008 I couldn't see anything on the second day of the Aubrac Plateau because of the mist- but this time it was more like 30C and the views were spectacular!
Some blossoms have been and gone here in Palmy, but more are just coming on. Lovely time of the year, and I feel like a 'cheat' as this is the second time I have experienced it this year...
Margaret

Oh Wow! That was so good to read. I love how your meeting with Frances lead you to this and that you 'happened' on/or they happened on people who offered you a place to stay. It sounds really challenging at times and yet wonderfully rewarding with the views and the hospitality. I met one guy who had walked from Le Puy and was pretty scathing about, found it really difficult to find his way, places to stay and thought the trail was ill cared for and not so keen on the French hospitality. (he was English :) Then the next day I met another guy who had also done this route within about 5 days of the first guy and he raved about it and highly recommended it. Doesn't it amaze you how the Camino juxtaposes things all the time? You have tempted me now .....
BTW I have the same feeling about cheating with two Springs. Wanaka looks incredibly dead, garden wise, and just when you think that herb is not coming back it seems like someone has gone around with a wand every morning - September is the best!
Do you teach in Palmerston North? Not sure if I told you but I was born in Taihape and we lived in PN from 1992 to 1996 and loved it. We lived in Rangitane Street :)
Thanks so much for your great blog and photos. xo

cathietherese said:
I met one guy who had walked from Le Puy and was pretty scathing about, found it really difficult to find his way, places to stay and thought the trail was ill cared for and not so keen on the French hospitality. (he was English :) Then the next day I met another guy who had also done this route within about 5 days of the first guy and he raved about it and highly recommended it. Doesn't it amaze you how the Camino juxtaposes things all the time? You have tempted me now .....
Do you teach in Palmerston North? Not sure if I told you but I was born in Taihape and we lived in PN from 1992 to 1996 and loved it. We lived in Rangitane Street :)
I loved the Le Puy route. I am not sure what sort of tracks or hospitality the English guy was expecting, but I was impressed by both on the Le Puy route. The hospitality in some of the places I've stayed in France was very special- which reminds me, I need to print off some cards this weekend to write some overdue 'thank yous'....
I do teach in Palmy- and I live not far away from Rangitane St!
Margaret

was pretty scathing about...
Another pilgrimage crashes on the rocks of expectations. Each of us can be as miserable as we want to be, if we work at it hard enough. Sometimes a person needs a pilgrimage so badly that he simply cannot learn from it. It is quite sad, really.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
falcon269 said:
was pretty scathing about...
Another pilgrimage crashes on the rocks of expectations. Each of us can be as miserable as we want to be, if we work at it hard enough. Sometimes a person needs a pilgrimage so badly that he simply cannot learn from it. It is quite sad, really.

We don't know that. Many pilgrims have early difficulties as we adjust to long distance walking and the challenges we face. In my experience most overcome them and reach Santiago bursting with pride at their achievement.

@Margaret - that is so cool that you live near Rangitane St that is such a pretty part of Palmerston North. You have really got me tempted with your photos and blog! Plus I am a confirmed Francophile so who knows ? In your words I don't think the Camino is done with me yet!
@Falcon & @ Margaret
Personally I think it is great how people can speak freely, as they perceive trails/places, on the Camino whether they are loving it or struggling. You are onto it I am pretty sure the good outweighed the negative with this person - however he did strongly suggest we give the LP Route a miss - may have been really bad weather or something too...... It was simply interesting to receive such a contrasting viewpoint from two people who had done the Le Puy trail at roughly the same time but we all know it can change in a few hours let alone a day and we make our own decisions. All part of Camino Mosaic - Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Cathy
If you are a Francophile you have to go for the Le Puy Route. It's beautiful, with enough people to keep you company but not so many that you feel stifled. The gites are great especially if you go for the demi pension. The route is varied and well marked and easy to follow once you get your eye in to the system of GR "Balises".
It is different to the Camino Frances experience and a little more expensive but the scenery is magnificent and I think you would love it.

Go for it
Anna

Thanks Anna , much appreciated. I am certainly working toward Le Puy in my heart it looks amazing. xo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kitsambler said:
The Le Puy Route! Five weeks of guilt-free French cooking! Need I say more?

Excellent! Hadn't added that one to my "Why I'm starting my Camino from Le Puy" list. Thanks, Kitsambler. Farmer John, or for that part of my journey, Le fermier, Jean.

Most read last week in this forum

Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.