• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Linking The Camino Aragonés And Pamplona

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
One of my big priorities this past summer was to walk the Camino Aragonés. I’d done this once before, but it was a rushed trip, crammed into a very small window, and it coincided with a very rainy few days in northern Spain. Any pilgrimage is better than no pilgrimage, but those conditions were far from optimal for getting the most out of the route.

After starting in Auch, France and walking through Lourdes, I then rejoined the GR653 south of Oloron-Sainte-Marie, which leads to Somport Pass and feeds directly into the Camino Aragonés. The weather was much more conducive to a great walk this time around, and I thoroughly enjoyed the walking, the towns and villages, and some fantastic hospitality. At a time when many were bemoaning the pilgrim traffic on the Camino Francés, the Aragonés was only lightly dotted with walkers.

The Camino Aragonés merges with the Camino Francés just before Puente La Reina, passing first through Eunate, which is a detour for many from the Francés. However, that wasn’t my plan on this trip. Instead, I wanted to head over to the Camino del Norte, and I wanted–of course–to make that transition on foot.

The first step in that process was getting from the Camino Aragonés to Pamplona. The most straightforward way to do that would be to join the Francés and then backtrack. I didn’t want to do that; it seemed like unnecessary kilometers, if a more direct option was on the table. And after doing some quick route-finding work, it proved that there was indeed a viable direct approach. I’ve uploaded the gpx track here.

pamplonalink2.png

Here’s what I did: 2km after Monreal, the Camino Aragonés comes fairly close to the A21 expressway. At that point, I turned right then left to join the NA-2420 highway. When I hit a roundabout further on, I turned right and passed under the expressway. After passing through another roundabout, I turned left onto a dirt track. That 1.5km stretch is the worst part of this walk.

After arriving in the outskirts of the village of Elorz (2.6km), I turned right, heading uphill on another dirt track. Further up the hills, some maneuvering is needed to work around a private homestead that blocks the track, but it’s clear enough. Once you finally reach the ridgeline, you encounter the GR220 (2.5km). It’s a bit of work getting up to the tip-top, but the views of the valley are fantastic along the walk that follows.

pamplonalink.png

Finally, turn right (5km) to descend along a footpath running alongside a fence. This is the lone part of the walk that was a little overgrown and a little rough, but fine on the whole. A couple quick turns follow at the bottom, but you’re still moving mostly in a straight line into the village of Tajonar (1.5km). Continuing generally in a straight line, I passed through the village, onto a minor highway, and then I turned right in a roundabout intersection with the NA-2310, into an industrial park (1km).

A footpath picks up from the back of that small complex, called the Paseo Elorz-Sadar. This largely follows the river into Pamplona. It’s a very pleasant walk, even if it’s an admittedly windy approach. You can shave off a bit of distance by following the highway, but I wouldn’t recommend it–you’re stuck following a busy, industrial road if you do that.

I stuck with the footpath 5km, until I finally turned right onto Avenida de Zaragoza, heading north. That still left me with a little over 2km of city walking, en route to the cathedral, but it was enjoyable enough, as a change of pace from everything preceding it.

All told, it was just 23.4km from Monreal to Pamplona, with the vast majority of that coming on unpaved terrain. I thought it worked pretty well! It’s a good option to consider if you’re just walking the Camino Aragonés and need to head home afterward. Even if you plan to walk the Camino Francés, I think this is worth considering–you still get to see Pamplona and don’t add that much distance to your trip.

I won’t go into the same detail on the remainder of my walk towards the Camino del Norte, but here’s a quick snapshot. From Pamplona, I followed the Camino Baztán in reverse 51km to Elizondo. The waymarking alone was mostly ok, but there was one extended stretch through the woods where I was very happy to have gpx tracks to help me through. In Elizondo, I joined the GR11, walking 30km onward to Bera. The ascent out of Elizondo was steep, but once I made it up to the top it was a very pleasant walk through the Pyrenees. I especially enjoyed my lunch at the Col de Lizarrieta, right on the border between France and Spain. Finally, from Bera to Irún I followed a bike path on the south/west side of the Bidasoa River most of the way–flat, easy, quiet walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I won’t go into the same detail on the remainder of my walk towards the Camino del Norte, but here’s a quick snapshot. From Pamplona, I followed the Camino Baztán in reverse 51km to Elizondo. [...]

I know of another route to Irun on the Norte (though I have not walked it).

From Pamplona walk the Camino Baztan in reverse for two Gronze stages to Berroeta. From there you go off camino following the highway N-121a north for about 7 kilometers to Oiregi where the Via Verde del Bidasoa starts on its 44 km way to Irun, about a marathon distance away.

Via Verdes are old railways converted to walking and cycling routes, what we in the US call rail trails. So it should be easy walking. And it is downhill to Irun. Also, if you use Google Maps to plot a walk from Berroeta to Oiregi you see it plots a way following the highway but not on it. It uses smaller parallel roads.

For more information on the Via Verde del Bidasoa visit this webpage:
https://www.viasverdes.com/en/itineraries/itinerario.asp?id=92

Love it! Thanks for the detailed notes on connection Monreal and Pamplona. 👍. I did similar, but connected Pamplona with the Foz de Lumbier (a variant of the Aragon) by following the abandoned railway route of the first electric train in Europe! These alternative routes are a great way to maintain a walking pilgrimage when switching routes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
From Pamplona walk the Camino Baztan in reverse for two Gronze stages to Berroeta. From there you go off camino following the highway N-121a north for about 7 kilometers to Oiregi where the Via Verde del Bidasoa starts on its 44 km way to Irun, about a marathon distance away.
Yep, that's what I was on from Bera! I think I would have gotten a little bored following that for the full 44km, but I enjoyed it in a smaller dose quite a bit.

Yep, that's what I was on from Bera! I think I would have gotten a little bored following that for the full 44km, but I enjoyed it in a smaller dose quite a bit.
I was trying for Barcelona to San Sebastian. At the time (mid-November) your Pamplona-Baztan-Elizondo-GR11 was the only way I had found over the Pyrenees without road walking. It was too cold, rainy, lonely and late in the season to make the GR11 a safe trip so I headed home. I could have bused to San Sebastian for some great food and made Peg jealous but I thought that was cheating. Later, at home, I found the Via Verde. I might have attempted that route.

Monreal ~ Pamplona GPX file

Attachments

• 20230606_Monreal_Pamplona.gpx
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
A selection of Camino Jewellery
One of my big priorities this past summer was to walk the Camino Aragonés. I’d done this once before, but it was a rushed trip, crammed into a very small window, and it coincided with a very rainy few days in northern Spain. Any pilgrimage is better than no pilgrimage, but those conditions were far from optimal for getting the most out of the route.

After starting in Auch, France and walking through Lourdes, I then rejoined the GR653 south of Oloron-Sainte-Marie, which leads to Somport Pass and feeds directly into the Camino Aragonés. The weather was much more conducive to a great walk this time around, and I thoroughly enjoyed the walking, the towns and villages, and some fantastic hospitality. At a time when many were bemoaning the pilgrim traffic on the Camino Francés, the Aragonés was only lightly dotted with walkers.

The Camino Aragonés merges with the Camino Francés just before Puente La Reina, passing first through Eunate, which is a detour for many from the Francés. However, that wasn’t my plan on this trip. Instead, I wanted to head over to the Camino del Norte, and I wanted–of course–to make that transition on foot.

The first step in that process was getting from the Camino Aragonés to Pamplona. The most straightforward way to do that would be to join the Francés and then backtrack. I didn’t want to do that; it seemed like unnecessary kilometers, if a more direct option was on the table. And after doing some quick route-finding work, it proved that there was indeed a viable direct approach. I’ve uploaded the gpx track here.

View attachment 158310

Here’s what I did: 2km after Monreal, the Camino Aragonés comes fairly close to the A21 expressway. At that point, I turned right then left to join the NA-2420 highway. When I hit a roundabout further on, I turned right and passed under the expressway. After passing through another roundabout, I turned left onto a dirt track. That 1.5km stretch is the worst part of this walk.

After arriving in the outskirts of the village of Elorz (2.6km), I turned right, heading uphill on another dirt track. Further up the hills, some maneuvering is needed to work around a private homestead that blocks the track, but it’s clear enough. Once you finally reach the ridgeline, you encounter the GR220 (2.5km). It’s a bit of work getting up to the tip-top, but the views of the valley are fantastic along the walk that follows.

pamplonalink.png

Finally, turn right (5km) to descend along a footpath running alongside a fence. This is the lone part of the walk that was a little overgrown and a little rough, but fine on the whole. A couple quick turns follow at the bottom, but you’re still moving mostly in a straight line into the village of Tajonar (1.5km). Continuing generally in a straight line, I passed through the village, onto a minor highway, and then I turned right in a roundabout intersection with the NA-2310, into an industrial park (1km).

A footpath picks up from the back of that small complex, called the Paseo Elorz-Sadar. This largely follows the river into Pamplona. It’s a very pleasant walk, even if it’s an admittedly windy approach. You can shave off a bit of distance by following the highway, but I wouldn’t recommend it–you’re stuck following a busy, industrial road if you do that.

I stuck with the footpath 5km, until I finally turned right onto Avenida de Zaragoza, heading north. That still left me with a little over 2km of city walking, en route to the cathedral, but it was enjoyable enough, as a change of pace from everything preceding it.

All told, it was just 23.4km from Monreal to Pamplona, with the vast majority of that coming on unpaved terrain. I thought it worked pretty well! It’s a good option to consider if you’re just walking the Camino Aragonés and need to head home afterward. Even if you plan to walk the Camino Francés, I think this is worth considering–you still get to see Pamplona and don’t add that much distance to your trip.

I won’t go into the same detail on the remainder of my walk towards the Camino del Norte, but here’s a quick snapshot. From Pamplona, I followed the Camino Baztán in reverse 51km to Elizondo. The waymarking alone was mostly ok, but there was one extended stretch through the woods where I was very happy to have gpx tracks to help me through. In Elizondo, I joined the GR11, walking 30km onward to Bera. The ascent out of Elizondo was steep, but once I made it up to the top it was a very pleasant walk through the Pyrenees. I especially enjoyed my lunch at the Col de Lizarrieta, right on the border between France and Spain. Finally, from Bera to Irún I followed a bike path on the south/west side of the Bidasoa River most of the way–flat, easy, quiet walking.
All this is useful and interesting. I'm exploring the route from Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I'm not finding a lot of lodging and wonder where you stayed in the early stages; how far each day since many posters reporter the climb is steep.

Gronze.com shows all the housing you will need. It’s not the Camino Frances with choices galore, but it does offer adequate housing at a fair price which is almost never completo. While it’s definitely a climb from Oloron to Somport Pass, it’s not exactly steep, but just continually uphill for a few days (2-3 depending upon your speed).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! Gronze says
Currently (2013) the French Way through Aragon has 18 hostels (not including those in Puente la Reina) for pilgrims, of which 9 are public (from some administration, religious community or association) and 9 are private. . Thus, on average there is a hostel every 9.2 km , which, despite being a distance more than double that of the French Way, is not bad at all. In conclusion, we can affirm that this route has a good network of hostels, which, together, offers approximately 600 places.
---
This feels a little dated and gives no names of lodging. Most people seem to start at Somport which makes the hike all downhill, best I can tell. My hope is to start at Oloron-Sainte-Marie and leisurely make my way to the pass for the downhill, if there is any convenient lodging.

Just now on Tripadvisor I found a listing for the tourist office in Oloron.

https://www.hautbearn.fr/decouvrir-sortir/tourisme/office-de-tourisme.html

and an email

oloron@pyrenees-bearnaises.com

Which may produce more specifics.

Barcelona to San Sebastian. At the time (mid-November) your Pamplona-Baztan-Elizondo-GR11 was the only way I had found over the Pyrenees without road walking. It was too cold, rainy, lonely and late in the season to make the GR11 a safe trip so I headed home. I could have bused to San Sebastian for some great food and made Peg jealous but I thought that was cheating. Later, at home, I found the Via Verde. I might have attempted that route.
For future reference ~
From Pamplona you could take the Viejo as far as Etxarri Aranatz. There's a 23 km route (below) from there over to Beasain, on the Vasco. Take that backwards a few days, and you're spitting distance from San Sebastian.
Screenshot_20231020_142117_OsmAnd.jpg

I was trying for Barcelona to San Sebastian. At the time (mid-November) your Pamplona-Baztan-Elizondo-GR11 was the only way I had found over the Pyrenees without road walking. It was too cold, rainy, lonely and late in the season to make the GR11 a safe trip so I headed home. I could have bused to San Sebastian for some great food and made Peg jealous but I thought that was cheating. Later, at home, I found the Via Verde. I might have attempted that route.
Cheating?...What's that? 😅

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All this is useful and interesting. I'm exploring the route from Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I'm not finding a lot of lodging and wonder where you stayed in the early stages; how far each day since many posters reporter the climb is steep.
This feels a little dated and gives no names of lodging. Most people seem to start at Somport which makes the hike all downhill, best I can tell. My hope is to start at Oloron-Sainte-Marie and leisurely make my way to the pass for the downhill, if there is any convenient lodging.
The accommodation options between Oloron and Somport are listed on Gronze, up to date and with phone numbers. You wont find them listed on the Camino Aragonês, because it doesn't start until Somport. Oloron is on the Camino Arles.

And there is nothing too leisurely about the climb from Borce/Urdos up to the Somport Pass!

Last edited:
You need to revisit Gronze! It lists all the accommodations for both the French side (Arles) and the Spanish side (Aragon). Everything you need and VERY up-to-date

Thanks! Gronze says
Currently (2013) the French Way through Aragon has 18 hostels (not including those in Puente la Reina) for pilgrims, of which 9 are public (from some administration, religious community or association) and 9 are private. . Thus, on average there is a hostel every 9.2 km , which, despite being a distance more than double that of the French Way, is not bad at all. In conclusion, we can affirm that this route has a good network of hostels, which, together, offers approximately 600 places.
---

Just now on Tripadvisor I found a listing for the tourist office in Oloron.

https://www.hautbearn.fr/decouvrir-sortir/tourisme/office-de-tourisme.html

and an email

oloron@pyrenees-bearnaises.com

Which may produce more specifics.
I started in Oloron 8 days ago and whilst have been the only person in the auberge each night, have managed to find places open (Gronze and booking.com). I will write out where I stayed and what I did to book or not book! But so glad I did the climb before the descent… and really wonderful to experience the diffencenin landscape from the French to the Spanish side. Also - some really special places for pilgrims to stay on the bit between oloron and somport.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started in Oloron 8 days ago and whilst have been the only person in the auberge each night, have managed to find places open (Gronze and booking.com). I will write out where I stayed and what I did to book or not book! But so glad I did the climb before the descent… and really wonderful to experience the diffencenin landscape from the French to the Spanish side. Also - some really special places for pilgrims to stay on the bit between oloron and somport.
I look forward to details and names of places you stay. I'm following this route next spring. Best wishes!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back