• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Aragones

TonyScotland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago - Frances
Camino Ingles
I am planning to walk the Camino Aragones in July 2024 before linking to the Camino Frances and pick up in Burgos where I left off this year and just looking for any information on accommodation, cost, terrain, busy or not and if there is a map as detailed as the maps John Brieley produced.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am planning to walk the Camino Aragones in July 2024 before linking to the Camino Frances and pick up in Burgos where I left off this year and just looking for any information on accommodation, cost, terrain, busy or not and if there is a map as detailed as the maps John Brieley produced.
There is good infrastructure and waymarking. Gronze is your best bet, and be sure tó make time for San Juan de la Peña and the Lumbier gorge.

As meentioned above, Gronze is best. If it's a book in English you want, it seems that the Confraternity's guide is no longer available; the last time I did the Aragonese, I pasted and copied in a notebook entries from Gronze and from various accounts of this Camino.

There are several really good albergues along that way. Arrès for example has a wonderful donativo albergue. From what I remember, cost was the same as on the Francés. I stayed in albergues and self catered when possible.

There are enough services, but less than on the Francés, so make sure to carry enough snacks and water between towns, just in case!

If you can read german, the german "Rother" guide book for the Francés also includes the Aragones. Even without any German skills, at least the maps might be useful (elevation gain, distances...).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As meentioned above, Gronze is best. If it's a book in English you want, it seems that the Confraternity's guide is no longer available; the last time I did the Aragonese, I pasted and copied in a notebook entries from Gronze and from various accounts of this Camino.
I tried CSJ 1st and you right out of stock but thanks for advice re Gonze will check it out

The Gronze maps, elevation profiles and albergue listings/contact details are really all you'll need for this lovely route. In July there will be other pilgrims around and enough services to support you, just plan a day ahead as you go. Also, a new pilgrim office/information centre opened earlier this year in Canfranc Estacion (check if their opening hours fit with you plans)..

Hi @TonyScotland

I was just typing as @Flog posted. I agree. I think Gronze is all you need for distances, elevations and accommodation . I've walked the Aragones a couple of times, plus a few stages backwards, and never had a guidebook or map or app of any kind. The route is well waymarked.

For information on history, geology, art ... you might be interested in The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. I have a kindle version. It covers both of the routes across the Pyrenees. Part 1 chapters 1 to 15 deal with the section from the Col du Somport to Puenta la Reina.

It's a beautiful path. In addition to Arres, the relatively new donative Albergue in Canfranc peublo is a standout. Enjoy.

Edited to add: regarding waymarking, I haven't taken the variant to Lumbier (after Sanguesa) that many recommend (next time I will) so I can't comment on the waymarking there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the link to the section on Gronze - starting at Somport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also Buen Camino App is helpful.

There is also a Wise Pilgrim app for the Aragonese.

I didn't use any camino apps myself; I got by with the Gronze website and the Wikiloc app to get and follow GPS tracks.

Not far off the Aragonese on the Camino Catalan are the monasteries of San Juan de la Peña. Check these out now because you'll regret not seeing the old one. You can take the bus from Jaca that the employees at the "new" one use (I quote "new" because it dates to about 1600).

Use this link to Google Maps as your introduction to the old monastery of San Juan de la Peña:

Last edited:
Walked it two weeks ago. Yes, good Waymarking. If you can read French the Miam Miam Dodo guide to the Chemin Arles includes the Camino Aragonés. Not too hard to follow if you don’t. Read the Pilgrim Road to Santiago before you go or have it in Kindle. Lot of up and down but nice albergues. Not many pilgrims. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @TonyScotland

I was just typing as @Flog posted. I agree. I think Gronze is all you need for distances, elevations and accommodation . I've walked the Aragones a couple of times, plus a few stages backwards, and never had a guidebook or map or app of any kind. The route is well waymarked.

For information on history, geology, art ... you might be interested in The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. I have a kindle version. It covers both of the routes across the Pyrenees. Part 1 chapters 1 to 15 deal with the section from the Col du Somport to Puenta la Reina.

It's a beautiful path. In addition to Arres, the relatively new donative Albergue in Canfranc peublo is a standout. Enjoy.

Edited to add: regarding waymarking, I haven't taken the variant to Lumbier (after Sanguesa) that many recommend (next time I will) so I can't comment on the waymarking there.
Thank you and I will definitely look at getting The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago

Hi @TonyScotland

Thank you for the information much appreciated

I walked this past September. I agree that Gronze is best. Use Chrome as a browser to have it in English. I stayed in pilgrim-style albergues and donativos and highly recommend the Albergue de peregrinos de Canfranc - Elías Valiña which is 5***** and a donativo ! Enjoy--I think this is my absolute favorite camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There is good infrastructure and waymarking. Gronze is your best bet, and be sure tó make time for San Juan de la Peña and the Lumbier gorge.
Absolutely superb: be sure to visit the two monasteries in San Juan de la Peña, the new one with the archeological museum and the old one. Watch out for the footpath from el Viejo if you decide to rejoin the Frances as it’s to be avoided when wet. Lumbier Gorge is incredible…make sure you have a flashlight with you in order to walk through the tunnels.

Absolutely superb: be sure to visit the two monasteries in San Juan de la Peña, the new one with the archeological museum and the old one. Watch out for the footpath from el Viejo if you decide to rejoin the Frances as it’s to be avoided when wet. Lumbier Gorge is incredible…make sure you have a flashlight with you in order to walk through the tunnels.
Thanks for all the practical advice & will definitely visit the monasteries

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for all the practical advice & will definitely visit the monasteries
If you walk to Santa Cilia first the pilgrim albergue there will allow you to stay two nights in order to visit the San Juan de la Peña monasteries. The Albergue de peregrinos de Santa Cilia is a lovely albergue as well.

I tried CSJ 1st and you right out of stock but thanks for advice re Gonze will check it out
The CSJ guide was out-of-date when I used it, admittedly in 2018. Caused some inconvenience at the time. Maybe it's age has resulted in it being discontinued.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have an old CSJ guide dated 2011. I suppose there are many changes to the Aragones since then?

I have an old CSJ guide dated 2011. I suppose there are many changes to the Aragones since then?
I think Karl Oz above said it was out-of-date even in 2018. I'd have a look at Gronze.com and compare. Use Chrome as a browser and you can take advantage of the Google Translate feature for and English language translation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From my experience of two Aragonnes Caminos , the accommodation were adequate and pilgrims few . It’s ok to walk alone and ok to enjoy it

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The idea of walking on the CF with hundreds of pilgrims makes me hesitate t walk it and instead walking the Olvidado.

There are some folks reading this that walked during the busy season who would have rejoiced at having only “hundreds of pilgrims” sharing the Camino with them! 😂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back