• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Living in Almunecar and looking for camino people locally

constanttrek

Hi there,

I'm an Australian currently living and working in Almuñecar, and planning to walk the Via del Plata from here next July and August. I´d like to meet any friends of the camino down this way or in Granada, where I spend a lot of time. I´d also like suggestions on the best (lightweight) guide to take for this camino - Spanish or English are both fine.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your help.

Paula

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Paula,

I take it "Slow Journey South" is yours. Loved it. I'm walking Seville-Finisterre starting 26 March and after that will return to Andalucia for a couple of weeks' travelling. I expect to be in Granada sometime late in May. If you wish, PM me and we can establish contact details.

Re guides - I am taking the CSJ book (2010 edition) and have downloaded maps and route instructions (in Spanish) from the Eroski site. I understand that Triana Backpackers in Seville have guides in English and Spanish. I'll find out when I get there. My Spanish is not great, so if I can find an English or German guide it would be preferable.

Donovan

Hey Donovan,

thanks a lot! Very weird to get a response from someone who's read the book! I may be walking earlier than anticipated, so stay in touch. Thanks again.

Paula

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Paula,

I've also read your book. What an amazing adventure. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am planning on walking from Granada to Santiago in September. I intend to stay 3 to 4 nights in Granada to recover from jetlag, as I live in Australia. I will keep in touch in case you are in Granada at that time.

Sandra.

Hi Paula,

Wonderful to hear you're walking the Via De La Plata! The Slow Journey South was a very special read and helped me through a rather tough time of my life. Thank you for writing such an inspiring book, and i might also point out that it was Donovan (who's posted above) who suggested I read it. He's my father and we've now covered over 2,250km in France and Spain together :)

Wishing you the best and buen camino!

Kat

Wow - sounds like you've done a load of miles together. What a great adventure.
I'm still not sure when I'll be walking - I am teaching in Spain but the end date of the contract is uncertain. It could be next month or it could be July! I'm really, really looking forward to it either way, although as per usual I seriously need some fitness training :)

Thanks so much for all the replies and I hope I meet you on the Way.

Best wishes
Paula

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm heading off this weekend by the looks of it. Walking from Almunecar via the Lecrin valley, after I cross those rather fun looking (not) mountains before it. Will update my blog from Granada.
Sandra, please do stay in touch - I am sure I will either be in Granada then or otherwise not far.

Cheers and thanks again - oh, and if you liked Slow Journey, please go and read Sahara, I like it far far better than the first one and besides, it keeps me off the breadline if you buy it :wink:

:roll: Couldn't resist going for a plug......

Hi Paula,

Good luck with the journey you are starting this weekend. Having read " Sahara", maybe you could enlist a camel to carry your pack !! Your journey through that part of Africa was absolutely amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed`the book, and wondered where you went to after its conclusion !! Now it seems you are becoming part of the Camino family. Are you walking to Granada and then on to Santiago via Merida,or via Seville ?

Sandra

Hi Alexandra,

thanks for the response! I'm walking to Santiago via Granada, which I'm really looking forward to. I walked the Frances as part of the bigger walk in 2004, and I always wanted to walk this one, so it will be great to get going.

Cheers
Paula

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My first walking day will be on Tuesday, but because I am now still in the possession of my laptop I thought it would be handy to start this thread already. I landed on Asturias airport on...
Last year I started the Via de la Plata in Seville with my friend Tom from Sydney whom I met at a yoga studio in Chiang Mai, Thailand. We and his girlfriend Julie walked the Camino Frances my...
Hi All, Today I made it to Seville, Auckland, LAX,Frankfurt, a night at Madrid airport which was actually quite an OK experience. The whole time traveling felt pretty surreal and I managed to...
I don’t know if the legend of pico Sacro is common knowledge on the Forum, but here is my simplistic understanding. Saint James’s two disciples arrived from the holy land looking for a place to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back