• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

London to st. jean pied de port June 2015

Elllie

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk June 2015
Hey everyone, I'm going to walk the camino in June. I am a solo traveller, travelling from London and plan to start from sjpdp. I would like to travel up there with someone, or meet someone there just to get started and find the way. I have never done anything like this before, or travelled alone so it would be so helpful to have a buddy for the first day or so. I'm not sure where to fly too yet to get to sjpdp but can leave London from any airport. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi and welcome! In June you will meet plenty of people on the way, so no worries if you don't find the ideal buddy here. As you are in London, the CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/ organises regularly 'Pilgrim Preparation Days', perhaps that would be a good option for you to get all questions and worries answered? And perhaps you meet somebody there that starts around the same time?
Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ryanair from Stanstead to Biarritz. Then either share a taxi (try Burricot Express they infill taxis) or bus to Bayonne and train to SJPdP. You may well meet people on the way there and you certainly will if you share a meal at an albergue. You can always just ask someone you meet on your way up if you can join them for a while. (Don't worry, they will welcome you into their group, they bare pilgrims!)

[QUOTE=" As you are in London, the CSJ http://www.csj.org.uk/ organises regularly 'Pilgrim Preparation Days', perhaps that would be a good option for you to get all questions and worries answered? And perhaps you meet somebody there that starts around the same time?
Buen Camino, SY[/QUOTE]
The CSJ's programme for 2015 isn't yet on the website (under 'about us' / 'programme of events' ) but there's definitely a practical pilgrim day in London in the next couple of months. We usually have around 100 people come to ask questions and receive practical tips and cryptic wisdom... I think CSJ charge £5 for that session, but alternatively the office is open every Thursday to visitors and there'll be a couple of 'open day' Saturdays in the next few months (with no charges involved). If the programme doesn't appear in the next couple of weeks then send them an e-mail, but I'll chase it up
cheers, tom

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hopefully you can hook up with a travelling companion.
The two of you will find that Ryanair has a very inexpensive and convenient flight from Stansted (London) to Biarritz.
From Biarritz it is very easy to get to SJPDP. You will take the local bus right outside the airport to the Bayonne train station. There you will purchase a ticket to SJPDP.
You will be travelling with a group that you will recognize as fellow passengers on your flight.
If you have any problems just ask someone.
Some of these people will become your friends on the days ahead on the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey everyone, I'm going to walk the camino in June. I am a solo traveller, travelling from London and plan to start from sjpdp. I would like to travel up there with someone, or meet someone there just to get started and find the way. I have never done anything like this before, or travelled alone so it would be so helpful to have a buddy for the first day or so. I'm not sure where to fly too yet to get to sjpdp but can leave London from any airport. :)
I too am arranging a Camino walk.Ticket from Stansted to Bairritz for about £30.You can arrange all travel tickets on the web and hostel bookings.Good Luck

Thank-you everyone for your replies. I have joined CSJ and will keep looking on the website for updates of their programme of events.
I will look at flights next. I feel so nervous about booking the flights and doing this alone but I am pretty sure I'll meet people on the flight or at the station. I'm choosing June as it's a popular month so more likely to meet fellow travellers. Btw, this site is amazing, a wealth of information!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
2225 London to Saint Jean Pied de Port via Biarritz Airport

2226 This section discusses travel from London to Saint Jean Pied de Port via Biarritz Airport

Index 2225
2227 Airline Service London to Biarritz Airport
2228 Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne
2229 Gare de Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port
2230 Saint Jean Pied de Port

2227 Airline Service London to Biarritz Airport

The closest airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port is Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne Airport (BIQ). Biarritz Airport is relatively small and it is easy to get oriented.

Biarritz Airport website indicates airlines and destinations including flights from London.

Biarritz Airport BIQ
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

At time of writing:

Ryan Air provides service from London Stansted (STN) to Biarritz (BIQ) all year.

Easy Jet provides service from London Gatwick (LGW) to Biarritz (BIQ) on seasonal basis.

2228 Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne

Chronoplus bus #14 travels from Biarritz Airport to Gare de Bayonne. The bus stop is just outside the airport. The bus ride takes about 40 minutes.

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

Gare de Bayonne. See the picture so you recognize where to get off the bus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

2229 Gare de Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied de Port

SNCF TER train #62 travels from Gare de Bayonne to Cambo les Bains where passengers transfer to an SNCF operated bus to SJPdP. You cannot reserve a seat. You can purchase the ticket at the station.

TER Aquitaine
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

Hi,
I am walking solo this year from St Jean, I did a week last by myself last year and had no problems -two weeks with my brother as well. I chose to fly from Luton to Bordeaux and staying overnight in Bordeaux. Luton is more convenient for me but also there is a better choice of hotels and trains in Bordeaux when compared with Biarritz. France has first class public transport easy to use and reasonably priced, you should not have a problem even if your French is limited.

Shame you're not going in September! I'm also leaving from London and looking to travel down there with a couple of fellow-walkers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back