• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mad rush from Madrid Barajas Airport T1 to Madrid train stat

JonM

Time of past OR future Camino
Start: St. Jean Pied de Port 2012
Completed: Santiago de Compostela 2013
Miss it: all the time
Finisterre / Fisterra 2013
Muxia 2013
Hello,

My wife and I will arrive at Madrid Barajas Airport T1 at 8:30 in the morning after a lengthy international flight from California. We plan to continue our walk from last year in Astorga.
I doubt we could catch the 9:35 Alsa bus from T4 to Astorga.

Our options are:
1. Wait for the 14:45 Alsa bus from T4 to Astorga or ...

2. Rush through customs and catch the Metro to the Madrid train station for the Renfe 10:40 train to Astorga. If we miss that train, the next one leaves at 17:00.

Option 1 sounds safe and non-stressful. Has anyone tried getting of an international flight at T1 and going to the Madrid train station to catch a train within 2 hours of landing? Sounds crazy but is it possible? In terms of option 2; my wife thinks I have lost my mind. What do you think?

Cheers
Jon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd go with option one. In my experience baggage reclaim at Barajas isn't the fastest then you'll have passport control etc. Also the Metro station is a good 15 minutes walk away from T1 and it's always a mission to find a working ticket machine. Take your time when you land, find seats and read a book until the lunchtime bus. You're meant to be relaxing.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Obviously you can't plan on this, and the odds are really low, but if the stars align correctly, you might even be able to make the 9:35 bus to Astorga. The arrival time for the international flights varies widely, in my experience. I sometimes arrive in Madrid more than an hour early, and this is undoubtedly because the scheduled arrival time has a lot of time built in for delays. If that happens, especially if you aren't checking any luggage (which would be my recommendation for other reasons, but I won't go into that rant right now, :D ), if the immigration line happens to be short and fast, and if the shuttle to T4 magically appears when you walk out the door of T1, you might just make it.

I remember one year when I was on the bus from T4 to the Avenida de Americas bus station around a half hour after my arrival, so it can happen.

For the train option, since you're arriving in T1 I think that the metro to Chamartin is the best way to go. From T1 it will take you a total of 35-40 minutes. From T4, the Cercanias train is much faster. That train runs only once every half hour but it gets you from the airport to the train station in about 12 minutes. But if you add on your transfer time from T1 you are not going to save much if any time this way. Again, with an early arrival in the airport, you might make the earlier train.

But I think the more realistic possibility is that you will wind up on the 14:45 bus. :?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Whalleyranger and Peregrina 2000,

Thank you for the replies, I guess we will wait at the airport for the afternoon bus to Astorga.

Cheers,
Jon

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi all! Have you used Pilgrim.es to plan your Camino? The reviews that I have found make me a bit nervous. Bit I can’t find any other company that will work with my group size. I don’t mind paying...
Hi All, My next leg is from Los Arcos. I'm hoping to go back in Sept and as i will be solo this time and no one to shared transfer costs with im trying to figure out best routes for bus and train...
I saw the list posted with all the transfer companies for different routes, super helpful! What I haven't seen yet is a good estimation tool/reference for budget consideration. Top Santiago has a...
I wanted to share my experience using the luggage forwarding/storage service offered by Casa Ivar. I flew from Dallas to Paris, arriving in Paris on March 29th. I’d requested DHL shipping from...
Is there a discount card available for seniors' travel in Spain?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back