• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Major Airport to fly in to start Camino del Norte

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I am from the West Coast of the U.S.A. I am wondering what major airport is near a "starting point" of the Camino del Norte. I am retired so time is not an issue. I can start walking at whatever a "good" starting point is. Thanks in advance for any information and advice that you might have.
Buon Camino
Hieu

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You ask about a major airport, which will probably be Madrid, Barcelona or Paris for the transatlantic leg, but all will involve an onward journey by plane, train or bus. As Falcon says, Biarritz is one airport you could connect to, as is Bilbao.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
tyrrek said:
You ask about a major airport, which will probably be Madrid, Barcelona or Paris for the transatlantic leg, but all will involve an onward journey by plane, train or bus. As Falcon says, Biarritz is one airport you could connect to, as is Bilbao.

Buen Camino!
Thanks Falcon and Tyrrek. -Hieu

Good evening,
i chose Barcelona as the city to fly into. Then i will take another plane which put me on Bilbao. The cost for this flight was less than $75 as long as you book early. I will be starting my walk form there after i spend a couple of days checking out their museums.
Hope this help and Buen Camino.
Frank

For my Camino del Norte this year I landed in Madrid, followed by a bus directly to Irun to start my Camino del Norte.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am flying into Paris and taking the TGV to Hendaye. Booked early and the train was only €30!

Most read last week in this forum

Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.