• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone Service while traveling - Holafly?

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino?
Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many U.S. phone companies (I'm looking at you, Verizon).
It seems to be offered around the world at very competitive prices. I've never heard of it before and am just wondering if it might be useful for anyone facing roaming charges. It has many good reviews.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many U.S. phone companies (I'm looking at you, Verizon).
It seems to be offered around the world at very competitive prices. I've never heard of it before and am just wondering if it might be useful for anyone facing roaming charges. It has many good reviews.
I haven't used Holafly, but it doesn't seem like you can use SMS or local calling if that is important to you. You could download Whatsapp and communicate with local businesses and friends that way. What I usually do is go to the nearest Vodaphone shop in Spain when I arrive. I usually fly into Madrid and there is a shop there in the airport. This time (I just returned from my camino) and was at Madrid waiting for a connection and there was a Vodaphone rep. right there at the entrance to the Arrivals Hall and he sold me a 30 day plan 100GB data for 30 euro. It wasn't the plan I wanted - too expensive and I didn't need 100GB but it was quick and easy so I bought it. I have purchased SIM before for as low as 5 euro in Spain.
Holafly does look like it has good reviews and the price is good. As long as there would be no activation problems and you use Whatsapp it seems like a good option.

I’ve been using Holafly for over a month starting in Oloron-Sante-Marie in France, across the Camino Aragónes and now on the Francés currently in Rabinal. The service has been fast and connections have been good. WhatsApp works great. Limited telephone time (60 mins) and you can’t access SMS with it but WhatsApp messages work great. I’d highly recommend Holafly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I used Holafly last fall becausey US T-Mobile international plan didn't provide me with data outside of major cities. It was worth the cost to have data to use for maps and contacting albergues.

Horrible experience with Holafly!!! Purchased a data and phone esim. Had issues with the phone. They offered a 'new' esim, with same services. Turned out it was only for data and I ended up with no phone service for a couple days. Went back and forth a dozen or more times on email / text trying to obtain a refund. Only after complaining on twitter did they finally, provide the refund. I've see posts on Camino FB groups of individuals having similar experiences.

Suggestions of alternatives DATA only esim options, consider Airalo or Saily. Can be connected either before or upon arrival. Use other app/s for phone calls-video or sms etc..

The two big names for data providers that I remember are Holafly and Airalo. Holafly gets recommended for heavy data users but I think there are few pilgrims that need this. You may find Airalo will better serve your needs cheaper. There are plenty of other providers but if you are a newbie these two may be the ones to get as it will be more likely for you to find experienced users to give you help.

I have used Airola eSIM very successfully in a number of European countries.

I used Holafly last summer for a week in Paris and then on the entire CF, and found it to be a really great service. I had no issues at all using it with WhatsApp.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I haven't used Holafly, but it doesn't seem like you can use SMS or local calling if that is important to you. You could download Whatsapp and communicate with local businesses and friends that way. What I usually do is go to the nearest Vodaphone shop in Spain when I arrive. I usually fly into Madrid and there is a shop there in the airport. This time (I just returned from my camino) and was at Madrid waiting for a connection and there was a Vodaphone rep. right there at the entrance to the Arrivals Hall and he sold me a 30 day plan 100GB data for 30 euro. It wasn't the plan I wanted - too expensive and I didn't need 100GB but it was quick and easy so I bought it. I have purchased SIM before for as low as 5 euro in Spain.
Holafly does look like it has good reviews and the price is good. As long as there would be no activation problems and you use Whatsapp it seems like a good option.
Did you buy this plan at a Vodafone store in the airport or at Tech and Fly store? Last year before my camino I stopped in Tech and Fly in the Barcelona airport and the plan for Vodafone was really poor. I just waited and bought my plan at a vodafone in Barcelona near my hostel.

Did you buy this plan at a Vodafone store in the airport or at Tech and Fly store? Last year before my camino I stopped in Tech and Fly in the Barcelona airport and the plan for Vodafone was really poor. I just waited and bought my plan at a vodafone in Barcelona near my hostel.
If you go to YouTube and search for "how to buy a SIM card at Madrid airport" you will find useful info. Last year though, I went in search of WHSmith shop and it didn't open until 9am, so I believe I bought a Vodafone SIM (Vodafone is supposedly the best carrier) at a Vodafone shop in Burgos.
This trip, I landed in Madrid but was waiting for a connection so I went to the Arrivals Hall and told the security guard I would need to reenter the terminal for my connecting flight and I just needed a SIM card. He told me that would be okay. As soon as I entered the Arrivals Hall there was a Vodafone rep. and thats who I bought a SIM card from and he set everything up for me. It was not a store and I'm not sure if there is a Vodaphone shop at Madrid Airport. I figured out how to top it off so next trip all I need to do to go online and pay for prepaid plan I want, or I can top it off at petrol station, or Vodafone store. Vodafone is on WhatsApp and they even have a English language version on WhatsApp.

Here’s a free 1GB free eSIM courtesy of red bull mobile. No credit card required, no catches and easy to activate.

If you go to YouTube and search for "how to buy a SIM card at Madrid airport" you will find useful info. Last year though, I went in search of WHSmith shop and it didn't open until 9am, so I believe I bought a Vodafone SIM (Vodafone is supposedly the best carrier) at a Vodafone shop in Burgos.
This trip, I landed in Madrid but was waiting for a connection so I went to the Arrivals Hall and told the security guard I would need to reenter the terminal for my connecting flight and I just needed a SIM card. He told me that would be okay. As soon as I entered the Arrivals Hall there was a Vodafone rep. and thats who I bought a SIM card from and he set everything up for me. It was not a store and I'm not sure if there is a Vodaphone shop at Madrid Airport. I figured out how to top it off so next trip all I need to do to go online and pay for prepaid plan I want, or I can top it off at petrol station, or Vodafone store. Vodafone is on WhatsApp and they even have a English language version on WhatsApp.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I have used Vodafone for the last 4 of my caminos. I used Orange before. They are both good and have good coverage area. The reason I have gone to Vodafone is because their prepaid plans suit my needs better and as you said it is super easy to recharge on line. I have never seen a Vodafone agent in either the Barcelona or Madrid airports. I am sure there are no Vodafone stores within the airport either. Their customer support is good and they do send a link to recharge (you can change to English) your plan. Super easy on line. I am not sure how quickly you will be back in Spain but I was told awhile ago after a period of non use (I believe it was 4 or 6 months)I would need to get a new sim. This was about 4 years ago so it is old information. Maybe it is different now.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I have used Vodafone for the last 4 of my caminos. I used Orange before. They are both good and have good coverage area. The reason I have gone to Vodafone is because their prepaid plans suit my needs better and as you said it is super easy to recharge on line. I have never seen a Vodafone agent in either the Barcelona or Madrid airports. I am sure there are no Vodafone stores within the airport either. Their customer support is good and they do send a link to recharge (you can change to English) your plan. Super easy on line. I am not sure how quickly you will be back in Spain but I was told awhile ago after a period of non use (I believe it was 4 or 6 months)I would need to get a new sim. This was about 4 years ago so it is old information. Maybe it is different now.
On my Vodafone packet that came with SIM, above where your new telephone is printed "F. Cad. 22/02/2025" I'm guessing this might be the expiration date. But if it is renewed in September when I plan to return to Spain, it should be good. Even if I wasn't planning to return, a plan starts as low as 5 euro, so I would just keep it active. It is cheaper than what my USA carrier would charge me and it is a better plan.
I have never seen a Vodafone rep. in Madrid Airport and I usually fly in here.

I’ve been using Holafly for over a month starting in Oloron-Sante-Marie in France, across the Camino Aragónes and now on the Francés currently in Rabinal. The service has been fast and connections have been good. WhatsApp works great. Limited telephone time (60 mins) and you can’t access SMS with it but WhatsApp messages work great. I’d highly recommend Holafly.
...what"Juspassinthru" said 👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Having had two sets of poles taken from me at the airport on my return flight (traveling cabin luggage only) I want to buy poles cheaply on arrival before O begin my Camino..either in Santiago or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.