• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Maps of Via de la Plata

Kerrnell

Can anyone assist with good maps or book of the Via de la Plata route? We are leaving on 12th September from Salamanca and are finding it difficult to understand exactly where the route is beyond a list of towns, villages and albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Kerrnell, Welcome. Last year I used a French guide "Sur le Chemin de St Jacques de Compostelle. La Via de la Plata et le camino sanabrés". ISBN 978-2-915156-33-1, www.lepere-editions.com. It has detailed maps for each section of the route, town plans, plus accommodation info. However, it's now a bit out of date (2011) because of the road and railway construction work, and new accommodation springing up. I used in it conjunction with Melanie's Via de la Plata app for iPhone, and the wonderful Eroski Camino app which gives up-to-the-minute guidance on albergues, closures etc. Buen Camino - it is a fabulous Camino!

Hi Kerrnell, Walking from Granada this year, we used a combination of elevation data from Eroski, Alison Raju's book (old but still useful - note I am referring to the guidebook, not the accommodation booklet), Melanie's app, and maps from Peter Robbin's "The Walking Pilgrim". The latter were definitely the best available and can be easily accessed. We found that the waymarking was good for the most part, and even where the railway construction imposed, common sense usually saved the day. From conversations with other pilgrims, it seemed that the maps featured in most guidebooks were inadequate and Peter was the 'go to' man. Good luck!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks tpo]]]]

Most read last week in this forum