• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Martin and Emilio got me started

Janet S.

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2013)
Hello, I plan to make my first pilgrimage this May. I was on the planning committee for Heartland Film Festival's opening night film in 2012...The Way, produced by Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez. It was them personally and their wonderful film that placed the passion in me to do this pilgrimage. I would love to connect with other pilgrims for planning and advice. I'm in Indianapolis, Indiana. Anyone else in this state or region?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Janet - welcome to the forum. We are in the Chicago, IL area planning on walking Sept 2013. We too were inspired by The Way. Lots of good info on this forum. Hopefully there will be a get together for Chicago area pilgrims early this year.

Buen Camino

Yes, stay tuned, we're working on that Chicago get together! I hope that in a short time we'll have the details -- a Saturday afternoon in Feb., in a place with space and food, and a chance for lots of Camino talking.

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
their wonderful film that placed the passion in me to do this pilgrimage
The passion is great. However, you can note in many threads in this Forum that the film makes it look far easier than it is. Make sure you have a personal plan to turn that passion into fortitude! I love the film, but worry that it gives incentive to many who have not really examined what walking a half-marathon a day for over a month really entails. Knowing that you have been given a bit of a sales pitch may be all you need to be successful in completing the walk. Have fun planning, and buen camino.

Hi Janet .....I'm Remy from Indianapolis also (62nd St on Oxford). I'm leaving for my camino on May 13 arriving in Madrid on the 14th-train to Pamplona then bus or taxi to St Jean Pied de Port. Will start my walk on the 15th. My best friend is also walking with me. If you're walking about that time we may cross paths or maybe walk together from time to time. The Camino has been calling me for a while now and I can hardly wait to get started. I love this forum-I feel like I know the pilgrims who post their comments even if I haven't met them. PM me if you want to get in touch.
Buen Camino..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some worthwhile realism on the rigors of the pilgrimage. Almost anyone can do it, but it is not easy!
Reflections of my Camino
The final stop on his pilgrimmage, Donal laid his Camino shell on his wife, Doreen's grave, surrounded by family and friends.

Published on Thursday 3 January 2013 11:33

Readers will recall we featured stories throughout August and September on retired Naas teacher Donal Corcoran who was about to set off on the second leg of his Camino pilgrimage.

The sprightly and youthful looking 72 year old is originally from Bishopstown in Co. Cork.

He taught engineering at the VEC school in Naas since 1964 until his retirement in 2005.

The Camino de Santiago de Compostela is a network of historical pilgrimage routes stretching across mainland Europe, which all lead to the city of Santiago in northwest Spain. While all pilgrims end their trip in Santiago, the starting point is a matter of choice. Donal chose to walk the longest version of the trip, from Le Puy, France, a total of 1,000 miles oR 1,600 kilometres.

Donal’s wife Doreen died from cancer and he did the Camino “in solidarity with all those who have suffered from cancer and for those who are still suffering from this disease.

“In doing this pilgrimage I am trying to raise money for the Research and Treatment of cancer in St. Jame’s Hospital under Dr. John Kennedy,” he said at the time.

We asked Donal to record a reflection of his trip to share with readers of the Leinster Leader. Here are his thoughts on his epic journey.

When I started my own personal pilgrimage on September 2010, I had only a vague idea of the adventures, the pain and the pleasure that lay ahead of me.

Now that I have completed the journey of over 1,000 miles I have to ask myself, did I really do it?

To do this in one’s seventies, to some people and sometimes even to me, seems a super human task. But when one thinks of this as a spiritual journey as well as a mere physical challenge it is understandable.

On this pilgrimage there are fewer Rosaries said - in my case, none - but every step was a prayer, thinking of cancer suffers, and others in need of my prayers.

Candles were lit in all the great cathedrals and abbeys on the way. I walked the way that millions of pilgrims had walked before me for over a 1,000 years.

I walked alone, but was never alone.

Sometimes I walked for hours without seeing or talking to anyone else. But even at those times I wasn’t alone, physically alone maybe, but spiritually alone? No...

As I was walking in solidarity with cancer sufferers, which included my late wife Doreen, their mental and physical pain was never far from my mind.

One also felt the spirits of the pilgrims who had walked before me were ever present and kept me company. Indeed it was not unusual to hear pilgrims walking behind you and when you looked around, there was nobody there.

I have mentioned three things about my pilgrimage that before I started had only a vague idea about.

Adventures: Meeting up with people from 28 different nationalities and walking, and talking with them and while we came from different cultures, and shaped by my cultures and our individual histories, realising that we are all very alike as regards our hopes and aspirations.

There were many times of great joy and laughter, and even a few songs in their company and indeed tears when we had to part. Personally I was made to feel special because I was from Ireland.

Pain: There is no denying that I found the Camino walking difficult. When I say difficult I mean that it was no “walk in the park” The terrain was often rough, hilly, and very uneven and sometimes muddy.

It was unlike any walking that I ever did, and every day I walked, on average from 15 miles to 18 miles.

And blisters were a problem for me. While I had these, walking was very painful.

Also in Lectoure in France, I suffered a herniated disc and had to be repatriated home for an operation on my spine.

I also suffer from arthritis in my neck and wrists, although these were not a problem when I was so active walking. I also have degenerative disc disease so have to be very careful when walking on difficult terrain.

Pleasure: But having said all of above, walking the Camino of St James was most enjoyable from start to the 1,000 mile finish. I felt very privileged to have the opportunity and the ability to do it. Walking through France and Spain, witnessing the cultural, historical, and architectural differences was immensely educating.

Talking with people from 28 different nations, highlighted how alike we all are rather how different we are.

Walking the Camino is now an important part of my life. I will give some talks on walking the Camino and give others the benefit of my experience. So if any groups, schools or organisations want to hear about the Camino of St. James, they are welcome to contact me.

To support Donal’s fundraising drive go to mycharity.ie/event/donal_corcorans_event. To read more about his trip, read Donal’s his entertaining and insightful blog caminodonalcorcoran.blogspot.com.

- Donal Corcoran

Hi Janet,

Wasn't it lovely?

Hold on to that passion. I'm sure you know it'll be difficult, but then if it were easy, what would be the point?

I'm not from America, but was moved to wish you good luck. I want to start in late August but not sure where to start yet. You'll be an experienced peregrina by then :)

Best wishes,

Poppy

Janet,
My wife and I walked the Camino, St. Jean to Santiago, last April/May, it turned out to be the worst weather in 40 yrs, cold, rain and snow, but that is part of the experience. It is the experience of a lifetime and worth it no matter what. Met people from at least 4o differnet countries, the nationals were wonderful, the history and scenery great. We did it in 36 day plus 2 rest days. Go and enjoy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am new to this forum messaging thing so I just now discovered your replies, everyone! Wow! Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. :D I have been doing a ton of reading and researching ... I know it will be much more of a physical challenge than what the movie depicts. Especially for lil old me...I'm just not that outdoorsy. :) But this is the kind of thing I need to do at this moment in my life...I just turned 50! Time to break out of my shell. If ya wanna read about my journey I started blogging at http://www.schwindythings.tumbr.com.

On a more practical note, a question: I was hoping to possibly start my walk in Pampolona perhaps, and leave the finish date open to allow for the adventure. I will be coming and going from a "home base" in Ireland. My question... is it financially feasible to just purchase my plane ticket from Santiago to Dublin at the last minute? or will it be a ton more expensive if I don't purchase it months ahead of time? I really don't wanna lock in my departure date if I dont have to. But I can't afford some ridiculous amount for the trip back to Dublin. Advice?

Re: Martin and Emilio got me started - fly to Dublin

I will be coming and going from a "home base" in Ireland. My question... is it financially feasible to just purchase my plane ticket from Santiago to Dublin at the last minute?

I would book ticket now. At present prices at AerLingus.com are Eu 55 out and Eu 45 return, but when checking their web page says "only 2 remaining" etc.
I remember prices last September were Eu 250. Buen Camino.

We live in Richmond, IN. There's also a professor at Earlham College who leads a group on the Camino every few years. Between the 3 of us and her alums, there are lots of former pilgrims in RIchmond!

Good luck with your planning & buen camino!
Shannon

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back