• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

May 2024

DBart

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All,
I’m Debbie, 62 years old and planning to walk in May 2024. Enlisted 4 other women to walk with me, but I have the feeling I may be walking it alone. Planning on the Frances route. Reading everyone’s posts has me super excited. Can’t wait to take my first steps on the Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @DBart - Welcome to the forum!

I have the feeling I may be walking it alone.
On reading your post, the first thought that jumped to my mind was "You can only hope!"

Are you trying to recruit a group because you are anxious about doing it alone, or because those friends really want to go? It is great to have a group for exercise purposes (especially if that helps motivate you) - walking regularly - but...

To me, it sounds like an awful idea to go with 4 other people who are less enthusiastic and maybe less independent! Admittedly, I am a person who likes time alone, and I prefer to be independent. But I would still recommend that you ask yourself why you want to gather a group. As you will learn on the forum, groups of like-minded (or different-minded) people form very very easily on the Camino.

Hi @DBart - Welcome to the forum!

On reading your post, the first thought that jumped to my mind was "You can only hope!"

Are you trying to recruit a group because you are anxious about doing it alone, or because those friends really want to go? It is great to have a group for exercise purposes (especially if that helps motivate you) - walking regularly - but...

To me, it sounds like an awful idea to go with 4 other people who are less enthusiastic and maybe less independent! Admittedly, I am a person who likes time alone, and I prefer to be independent. But I would still recommend that you ask yourself why you want to gather a group. As you will learn on the forum, groups of like-minded (or different-minded) people form very very easily on the Camino.
Oh, I mentioned it to friends that I was doing it and each got all excited to join me. But as they look at the details, I don’t think they realized all that it entails. I had originally figured I was doing it on my own so totally ok if no one joins me. My husband and my daughter with her family are figuring on meeting up with me at the end and then driving down to the the south of Portugal for some “feet up” beach time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, that sounds better! If your friends do decide to join, make sure that they really do understand what it entails, and you should set out some ground rules beforehand.

You will have lots of fun planning, with the help of this forum!

Well, that sounds better! If your friends do decide to join, make sure that they really do understand what it entails, and you should set out some ground rules beforehand.

You will have lots of fun planning, with the help of this forum!
Yes, no whining, no complaining, no princess expectations. It’s a walk, a journey, an adventure. Lol

Hi DBart! Welcome to the forum! I totally agree with the advice offered by C clearly. I returned five weeks ago from completing my first Camino (Frances). At age 69, by the way. I started my walk with several friends I made on the shuttle between Biarittz and SJdPP, but after the first few days I bid them farewell and began walking on my own. It was very liberating. While I very much enjoyed seeing them off and on along the way and getting "caught up," I treasured my time alone, to be with my own thoughts, to go at my own pace and to stop wherever and whenever I wanted. I didn't feel I had to keep up with anyone, and I wasn't slowing anyone down. Walk your own Camino! - it was probably the most important lesson I learned on The Way.
And, yes, it is critical that everyone who is seriously considering going (including yourself), understands just what you're getting into. I'm not sure there was anything I could have done beforehand to adequately prepare me for the reality of the Camino. Make no mistake, it was an amazing journey and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm so proud of my accomplishment! But, if anyone thinks this will be a walk in the park, their mistake will very quickly whack them upside the head. And will do so repeatedly. Much of what I knew about the Camino, and a whole lot of answers to my questions, was/were gleaned from this forum. So, keep reading, learn as much as you can, pay attention to what your body is telling you, and have a wonderful trip!

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.