• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Meeting locals along the trail

ricitosdeplata

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Via de la Plata
Apart from interacting with the locals we trade with, are there other ways you veteran pilgrims have found to talk with Spaniards along the camino? I imagine pilgrims are tired after a long day, but have you found opportunities after bathing and doing your wash to speak to the locals? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We had a very long, pleasant conversation with a helpful Spanish gentleman on our way into Burgos, but we didn't undestand much of what he said. I assume you speak Español?

Sounds like Spaniards can be pretty friendly. And you were patient spending time listening to the gentleman even though you didn't understand all of what he said
I do but I don't get much chance to use it so my pronunciation is rusty. Have been trying to sing while driving. Understand at least 95% of "Velvet," a currently very popular series on Spanish television.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I find that most Spaniards in the small towns and villages are more than happy to chat with Pilgrims...if the Pilgrim is fluent in Spanish.
I am not..so can only get along, not hold conversations. I have had some very long talks with older men (and some women)..but I have no idea what we were talking about. Sometimes it does not seem to matter to them that you do not understand. I just nod my head and say "Si" a lot. It seems that the talking is what is important to them.

I have seen many non-Spanish pilgrims holding long and interesting conversations in Spanish.

Sounds like Spaniards can be pretty friendly. And you were patient spending time listening to the gentleman even though you didn't understand all of what he said
I do but I don't get much chance to use it so my pronunciation is rusty. Have been trying to sing while driving. Understand at least 95% of "Velvet," a currently very popular series on Spanish television.
It was no problem visiting with the gentleman; we were all going in the same direction. My companion and I had walked what seemed like an eternity getting into Burgos and when we asked this gentleman how much further to the cathedral we were aghast at his response. "Dos horas." And he was right!!!

It's interesting that you mention "Velvet," the series on Spanish television. I just saw recently that @falcon269 had mentioned on another thread, "Destino." I just started watching it on the web and, so far, am able to understand most of it.

I think watching movies and TV helps me understand the accents from different Spanish speaking countries. Got into telenovelas from Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela and Spain because they had forums where viewers discussed the episodes and I could ask questions if there was something I didn't understand.
Velvet has the highest viewership on Spanish tv. I'm waiting for season 3. I've also tried watching Hormiguero, a funny part interview program with skits and games. I catch about 2/3 of the jokes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Four years of adult evening class Spanish was enough for me to engage in some ( basic ) conversation. I always start with pardonning me for me basic knowledge of Spanish and then we are mostly off for some chitchatting.
I remember a lovely talk with a policemember on duty early morning in El Burgo Ranero who talked about his son who was on an exchange Erasmus scholarship in my country ( why someone would choose Belgium I don't know though lol )
I was more than relieved to be able to talk to the ladies at the Centro de Salud in Carrion de los Condes that I thought I had an urinary tract infection so I could speed up the consultation and get my medication.
Especially on the lonesome Ruta del Ebro it is nice to know some basic Spanish because locals will be the only people you meet.
And I also try to sit myself down on a bench where the elderly people of the village / town also sit : always fun!
And time to time it is really handy when helping out fellow pilgrims with a booking/ reservation/ etc....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sabine, I think that's a great idea. I'll sit where people are congregating like a park or outdoor restaurant.
I'll be on the Via de la Plata walking alone. I've traveled alone before and have found myself in long conversations with strangers, male, female, young and old. I think a lone traveler may be more approachable then 2 or more people or more who are interacting among themselves.

Hello everyone.
Language!
My first Camino, first day. I met Zita, a young woman from Hungary. I only spoke Spanish, she Hungarian and English.
We did all the Camino together. Sometimes we had a young Italian translator, Roberto, so we could understand.
Finished the Camino, the first thing I did was go to a school to learn English.
Zita, then came to visit me in Pamplona for Sanfermines, along with other pergrinos we met on the Camino. I already spoke a little English.
Last May, we met again in Sicily at home of another pilgrim friend.
The next August, we will meet again in Hungary, also with other pilgrims friends. Language isn't problem. On the Camino there aren't barriers.
Zita is 32 years old. I'm 61
Zita now lives in Sardinia, with Roberto our first translator in our first road.
¡Cosas del Camino!

Mikel, I love your account of your experiences on the camino. That's what it's all about, isn't it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi you all!!!
Please do not miss the opportunity of a chat with any oldman sharing a cup of wine they are the voice of the experience and they provide us some ideas comparing the "old" and "new" camino.
But not only old people, although we, the Spaniards are not perfect Shakespeare's language speakers, things are changing and it would be weird that a warm "hola amigo!" won't provide you a great time of shares and laughs (we are pretty good at it ;)). I have survived chatting in SpanEnglitalianfarsiAfgan when deployed overseas so... Why not give it a try?
Cheers!

One of my (many) pleasures walking the Camino, especially those off the beaten path, is talking with farmers, local townspeople out taking a morning stroll, café owners/workers, etc. The key is to stop and take the time to do it. They are as curious about you - especially a woman walking alone - as you are about them. It is also a wonderful way to pratice your Spanish!

I often chat with bar people and shop owners, people sitting on benches, and especially enjoy older folks. They seem delighted that I'm trying to speak their language, and help me by correcting me when I make a mistake. Sometimes they're gentle about it and other times I get a belly laugh when I make a BIG mistake, like the time I called Guillena "hen" (gallina)! Either way, it's a fun way to use your Spanish and get to know the locals.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great posts, guys! I know I've made native speakers laugh at my Spanish. I got caught making the Argentina "j" sound when it wasn't called for. Thought I was getting better at my pronunciation when a taxicab driver thought I had a speech impediment instead of being a non native speaker. Don't think I'll try to pull off the lisp and just go with my Tex-Mex Spanish pronunciation of those words with Zs etc. But maybe trying the stronger Js and RRs will help my pronunciation. And I look more Spanish, than American. Stopped counting the many times I got, "pero, sos morrocha," (but you're dark skinned) when I said I was from the States. Vale!

Apart from interacting with the locals we trade with, are there other ways you veteran pilgrims have found to talk with Spaniards along the camino? I imagine pilgrims are tired after a long day, but have you found opportunities after bathing and doing your wash to speak to the locals? Any pointers would be appreciated.
We talked to more locals than we did peregrinos, but that was partially becaues we were carrying a 13 month old and the Spanish are OBSESSED with babies (more than any other nation we've ever been in). It was an instant conversation starter, even when we didn't want a conversation. My wife being fluent in Spanish and French (and speaking some Basque) didn't help either, because they could all ask the zillion questions they wanted to ask. But it was nice, however, to really connect with the locals in a way that I think is difficult for a lot of pilgrims. And we got a lot of free stuff. Our son was given (and this is an incomplete list) 1) At least 20 chupa chups (Spanish suckers). We think more. 2) 3 different times he was given an entire bag manzinetas (a name we invented), kind of like a baby puff 3) A walking cane in O'Cereibro 4) A Scallop shell from Finessstarre 5) A pilgrim's cross necklace that was found on the ground by another peregrino (he felt it was divine intervention) 6) A stuffed dog which we named Estella (after the city) 7) A stuffed polar bear that played Christmas music 8) A fancy white-chocolate sucker 9) twice he was given free bowls of ice cream 10) On one occasion he was greeted by the cafe owner with two beers (we assume they were for us?)11) Milk for his bottle (whenever we tried to buy some from a bar, they always insisted we take it for free).12) A miniature lobster pot with lid (to quote the shop owner in broken English, "babies like to go bang bang")

Our Spanish is decent, but since we learned it in California from Mexicans, we have some different words and different pronunciations than in Spain. I try to use the Spanish words for things - aseos, zumo, etc. - but sometimes forget. And of course pronunciation gives me away. On the flip side though, when I come back from Spain (I travel there occasionally for work also), my abuelita immediately knows where I have been because she says I talk like a Spaniard :) I guess some of the pronunciation rubs off.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our Spanish is decent, but since we learned it in California from Mexicans, we have some different words and different pronunciations than in Spain. I try to use the Spanish words for things - aseos, zumo, etc. - but sometimes forget. And of course pronunciation gives me away. On the flip side though, when I come back from Spain (I travel there occasionally for work also), my abuelita immediately knows where I have been because she says I talk like a Spaniard :) I guess some of the pronunciation rubs off.
Pronunciation is a funny thing, and it varies even by region in Spain....and no one is more obsessed with it than the Spaniards, sometimes it is funny and endearing, other times it borders on racist. But I do have to say that I find humor in the fact that my 3 year old son, who has so much trouble with pronouncing things in English that he is in speech therapy (his vocab is ahead of his age, but no one can understand him).........speaks with a perfect Castillian "th" when he speaks Spanish.

It's great hearing about the Spaniard's warmth. Makes me even more enthusiastic about this trip.
As far as accents go, I'm wondering if my accent will be acceptable just like we see British or Australian English as a variation of our English. I'm not going to sound like a Spaniard in the short time I'm in Spain. I'll have enough to work on with the differences in vocabulary.

I'll sit where people are congregating like a park or outdoor restaurant.

Squares are another place where people congregates. If you arrive to a inland town/village with a swimming pool on summer, the public swimming pool could be a good place to go to meet people in the afternoon (and engage in conversation with them).

As far as accents go, I'm wondering if my accent will be acceptable

Yes. For most people any acent is acceptable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Castilian. Coming from you, a native speaker, your reassurances mean a lot. Will keep squares and swimming pools in mind.

Most read last week in this forum

Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de...
On the stone pillars, there are 3 languages. 1st is Spanish of course and the 3rd is Arabic (says road to palata). Anyone know what the second language is?
I’m looking ahead a bit, figuring out my preferred stops. I see that the albergue in Puebla de Sanabria is closed, and other accommodation there is really expensive. The most expensive of anywhere...
First, this was my fourth Camino and was the most consistently beautiful walk I've done. Hilly, varied and so scenic! My daughter and I walked from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago Apr. 14 - May 2...
Hi there I am on my final Countdown to Seville three more days. Reading in the forum I became aware that I haven't got a clue were to get the credentials do I have to order it from Ivar or can I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back