• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Miam Miam Dodo guide

roncarlien

We are planning on walking from Le Puy to SJPP this fall (2011) and have 2 questions. Can we buy the MMD guide in Le Puy or do we need to buy prior to arriving? Also can one buy a cheap mobile phone to use on the Camino in Le Puy. If we buy a local mobile phone then we avoid trying to hook up SIM card to our current phone. Thanks for the information.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes you can definitely buy a MMD guide in Le Puy: you can buy it at the sacristy in the Cathedral where you can also get a pilgrim credential. Sorry I don't know about the mobile phone, but I imagine it is possible.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Roncarlien
I will be starting out in 10 days. I had planned to wait until I got to le Puy to get my MMDD but changed my mind and ordered it online. I am glad I did as my French is not great and it has has been helpful having time to get a bit of help translating the trickier bits. I have also just bought a new android phone and was very happy to find that I could download a free Kindle App and then purchase and download Alison Raju's Le Puy to the Pyrenees. On the tiny phone screen the maps are almost illegible but I am not too worried as I have them in MMDD anyway.. I was just thrilled to get some english commentary. Your French is probably better than mine so this may not apply.. but thought I should mention it anyway!
Kay

Available easily in Le Puy. I've used both the Le Puy and Frances books and found them so handy. I bought a cheap phone (Orange) with no features, rang ahead relying on the info in the MMDD and it all went pretty well. I also had a good look at KiwiNomad's blog before departure.

Roncarlien and Kayl, you are going to have just the best time.

Rob

Oh! This is delightful news, since the new Kindle weighs about the same as the Raju paperback (I'm estimating). Now if only the MMD were also available on Kindle ... <wistful sigh>. After all, paper is the heaviest substance known.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Raju guide on Kindle for iPhone is easy to read. For details, expanding the screen makes all the details visible. Android does not have the expand feature?

Regardless, it probably will not be long before Brierley, MMD, etc. all are available in a Kindle format. One four ounce smart phone will be all that is needed: cell phone, camera, video camera, maps, reading material, iPod, WIFI, internet on a SIM chip, and diary, all-in-one. I guess the charger at another couple of ounces will also be necessary...

You are right Kitsambler.. in fact the phone actually weighs MORE than the paper version of the guide (at least the old 2006 version that I have been lent) but on the other hand I am taking a phone anyway so it was an unexpected bonus to find that as well as Alison Raju's guide, I could download an English French dictionary (still trying to find a French English one!), save some MP3s of French lesson to allow me to practice my French on the way, save manuals for my camera and watch, maps of the Paris metro, some English language books to read, an Fm radio, and internet access where I can find Wifi. Now if I can just learn to use all of these before next Friday..

and Falcon you are right too .. after further exploring I did finally discover a better zoom than I had previously discovered.. so can use the maps too.

Kay

I have used both the Kindle and iPhone on different Caminos. It works great with reading books...but there is a problem with maps and guide books.
It is very unhandy to go back or forward to see a map or a page with info on it.
Just not as handy as a paper book....and I really use both the iPhone and Kindle daily.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be careful with the Kindle...don't fall asleep and roll over on it...like I did...the screen is fairly fragile...much to my chagrin! an expensive error on my part.

Buen Camino, Karin

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back