• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Most popular route through France

mauveglass

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (Sept/Oct 2012) Portuguese Central (2016), Portuguese Coastal (2018), Del Norte (2020)
I walked the Camino Frances last October, beginning in Roncesvalles to Santiago, and now am eager to do it again!!! I'm thinking about starting in France and was wondering which route is the most popular?
Cindy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

If you go to the very top of this page, you will find "Camino de Santiago Forum".

Click on that.

Scroll down to "Routes in France."

There you will find the Le Puy Route mentioned above. There is great information that might help you with your planning.

Good luck! I hope to do this someday as well. I'm jealous.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Me too. I walked from SJPdP last October and am keen to do it again but starting further back in France. From what I learnt from the odd pilgrim I met who had done that and from what I have read in this forum, Le Puy looks like the starting point for me.

LePuy is where it all started, in 951 I think, when Bishop Godescalc decided to go to Santiago. He was a real trend setter.

Walkers I met in Spain last year all recommended the Le Puy route -- they were French (of course!) but also Irish, German, and Australian. I'm planning to start in late August 2013 or maybe early September, aiming for SJPP.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all the info!! I think Le Puy it is! I just ordered 'The Way of St James Vol 1 (France): Le Puy to the Pyrenees' (Cicerone Guides) even though I'm not looking to go until 2014. Never too early to start the research to keep me pumped up!

Most read last week in this forum