• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GPX for alternate route from (Irache through Luquin)?

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo aka 伟思礼
Time of past OR future Camino
2015–2018 (partial)
Anyone aware of a downloadable GPX file for the "alternate" route from Irache through Luquin?

(Or any other alternates—but Irache to Luquin is what I am looking for right now.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know about a track for that route alone but the alternative via Luquin is one of the many in the "All Pilgrimage Routes Spain" file from this Dutch website. In gpx and kml formats (I am using the kml version).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is well marked and both times i walked it i loved it. It should be in the "buen camino" app as well. As are most other alternative routes. There is another which i know is not in the app, called Ruta Dragonte, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Las Herrerias. Also incredibly beautiful, but by all chance the hardest section of any of the CF. The gpx file and a description can be found with google.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know about a track for that route alone but the alternative via Luquin is one of the many in the "All Pilgrimage Routes Spain" file from this Dutch website. In gpx and kml formats (I am using the kml version).
I pulled the "Garmin" and KML files, but neither contained a track, only way points showing albergues. The file ET06 downloaded from here contains variants, but not the one through Luquin.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The CNIG has a track that might suit your purpose here. You need to open up the listing for the Camino Frances and find the track from Villatuerta-Luquin.
When I wrote "Irache," I was thinking of the bodega & monastery. This one takes a wide detour around Estella and joins the path I wanted further on at the village of Irache.

Anyone aware of a downloadable GPX file for the "alternate" route from Irache through Luquin?

(Or any other alternates—but Irache to Luquin is what I am looking for right now.)
I found a GPX track from one of my walks, and combined it with parts of the ET06 I got here to create a track from Alto del Perdón to Luquin. Smoothed out the jitter a little, and attached it here. Also displayed it on a map at https://HappyHobo.net/Luquin.html You can select from a lot of different map types in the upper right corner. The timestamps are bogus—since ET06 stretched over days, and my part was on bicycle, I re-wrote the times to make the average speed four kilometers per hour. But since the distance between points varies, it makes the speed also vary widely.

Attachments

• Camino_Section.gpx
    553.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I wrote "Irache," I was thinking of the bodega & monastery. This one takes a wide detour around Estella and joins the path I wanted further on at the village of Irache.
I think that if you walked to the bodega and then onto the village, you would be able to easily pick up the track. The two CNIG tracks for this section come within about 300m of each other at the eastern edge of Irache, and depending on the map source I use, there is a well defined track at that point that goes across to and under the A-12. You will need to do that anyway. I didn't think you would follow the alternative from Vilatuerta, but pick it up around Irache once you had visited the bodega. If you don't know how to select the bits from the different tracks that you think you want to walk, there should be no problem having both of them loaded into whatever mapping app you are using, and just be careful about where you make the transition from one to the other.

I found a GPX track from one of my walks, and combined it with parts of the ET06 I got here to create a track from Alto del Perdón to Luquin.
The track you have mashed up does vary slightly from the CNIG track once it crosses under the A-12. Your track gets further away from the A-12 at that point, but the two tracks come together about 1.4 km further west and stay together until Luquin.

I walked this route with two other people (Derren and Denise) who I had met at the "junction" just after Irache Bodega in 2018. It was a route less travelled, that felt like walking through an enchanted forest at first! We didn't have maps or use GPS, it was signposted and the path was good. There were no bars along the way, it was just dirt track all the way along the "Variante de Montejurra" to Luquin. We thorougly enjoyed it for its peace and tranquility.

Tip: Stop for a few minutes to visit the blacksmiths forge and workshop at Ayegui, where you can also get a lovely stamp for your first 100km on the CF.

The track you have mashed up does vary slightly from the CNIG track once it crosses under the A-12. Your track gets further away from the A-12 at that point, but the two tracks come together about 1.4 km further west and stay together until Luquin.
The part from Estella to Luquin is a path I actually walked. From Alto del Perdón to Estella was copied out of the track downloaded from here. My part did go through the fork just past Irache where the sign (next to a large rock) points both ways. I don’t know what CNIG is, but if I got off “the” path, it’s because I came to a fork that was not marked.

Tip: Stop for a few minutes to visit the blacksmiths forge and workshop at Ayegui, where you can also get a lovely stamp for your first 100km on the CF.
I’ve had a few good chats with the blacksmith. One of his creations inspired me to design a set of book ends that he made for me (€160).

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 5
I stayed in Luquin at the brand new albergue in 2017 after the Dutch run Monjardin albergue on the main route I loved two years earlier was full. I would not hesitate in trying the alternative route to Luquin if I ever walk the Frances route again; I assume it is a less busy alternative.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The part from Estella to Luquin is a path I actually walked. From Alto del Perdón to Estella was copied out of the track downloaded from here. My part did go through the fork just past Irache where the sign (next to a large rock) points both ways. I don’t know what CNIG is, but if I got off “the” path, it’s because I came to a fork that was not marked.
The part I walked in 2019 can be seen with waypoint photos at https://happyhobo.net/20190412

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back