• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Motorbiking the trail

lester

Hi there,
we are two young,fresh people English and Danish who would love to share the experience of this part of history. Due to time restraints... yeah yeah i know, we can not physically take 40 days out of our schedule.. So we thought motorbike. I do understand that to the purists amongst you, it s not the same, but we would like to do something; so please give us the chance.

Anything what so ever you could give us on possible sites,or even people you know that have completed the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela on a motorbike would be very helpful..

Paris we thought would be a good starting point but we are open to suggestions... many thanx in advance

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
lester said:
.... So we thought motorbike. I do understand that to the purists amongst you, it s not the same, but we would like to do something; so please give us the chance.

Absolutely none. That is beyond where I draw the line.: Motorbikes howling through the Meseta? Enduros going over the stone-men pass? Do us a favour - stay away! :x

Kerryman

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kerryman said:
Absolutely none. That is beyond where I draw the line.: Motorbikes howling through the Meseta? Enduros going over the stone-men pass? Do us a favour - stay away! :x
Kerryman

Kerryman ...and Lester!
Fully agreed with kerryman's opinion :x

Paul

The route that the Camino follows is close to the roads and I am sure you mean to follow the route that car drivers take when following the route. The principal towns are Paris, Orleans, Tours, Poitou,Bordeaux, St Jean Pied de Port, Roncesvalles, Pamplona, Logrono, Santo Domingo, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada, Villafranca, Sarria and Santiago.

There is much to see in these towns and the smaller ones between them though the journey between from Paris to the Pyrenees and from Pamplona and Astorga is not going to be perticularly scenic in itself.

Good luck and have a good holiday

William

You could certainly journey to Santiago (or any other famous pilgrim destination) but it won't give you the full camino experience. Not only will some of the paths be inaccessible to motorbikes (and roaring along others will probably invoke the ire of other pilgrims, as shown above) but you'll simply be travelling too fast. Certainly in the modern age, when getting there fast is always an option, travelling at a slower pace is a significant part of what it is all about.

If your time is limited, either start closer to the destination and walk or cycle, or figure out a route that is suitable to the method of transportation you propose to take.

Wulf

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
William, Wulf:
I think you overlooked that they have titled their posting 'Motorbiking the Trail', (Not: 'Motorbiking to Santiago') meaning to me they were actually thinking of taking their motorbikes onto the Camino itself and not onto the roads nearby. :x

This thing deserves a strong response, I find it utterly repulsive and I am sure I am not alone in this. :!:

Kerryman

Kerryman said:
William, Wulf:
I think you overlooked that they have titled their posting 'Motorbiking the Trail', (Not: 'Motorbiking to Santiago') meaning to me they were actually thinking of taking their motorbikes onto the Camino itself and not onto the roads nearby. :x

This thing deserves a strong response, I find it utterly repulsive and I am sure I am not alone in this. :!:

Kerryman

hehe,
i didnt think motor vehicles were allowed on the trail itself. in any event, i thought there was some idea of tolerance that pilgrims learn. so does it really matter if he walks rides runs or swims to santiago? does the compostelle matter in itself? your yourself know what you do while on your way and if someone wants to drive to different cities and have a beautiful visit they should go ahead and do so.

now, if he intends to drive a dirt bike on the camino then thats another story. is it even legal to drive a dirt bike on the trail?

have a great time and enjoy the world they way you want.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back