• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

My Bright Idea

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
In planning for my upcoming VDLP walk, I just had a brainstorm.
Yesterday I went to REI to see what sleeping bags were available.
I have a Marmot pounder plus, but with the weather so unpredictable this year, I think I better take something warmer.

I have a nice lightweight down sleeping bag that I've used twice on the Camino in both early spring and late fall.
It keeps me toasty warm and I love it.

But what I have NEVER used, in spring or in fall, is the zipper or the hood.
Not ever, not even when rough camping in Oregon.
In fact, it bugs me... gets in my way.
I wear a hat instead.
And me being only 5'3", the bag is a men's model and way too long for me.

Soooo... to lighten my load, I'm going to drag out the sewing machine.
I'm going to take out the heavy zipper and cut off the hood, and cut several inches off the top of the bag, making it a better fit.

This should lighten it considerably and it will compress down even smaller.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm excited!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm with you Annie. I really dislike the attached hoods on sleeping bags. I always get twisted up in them. I too thought of cutting the hood off my first down bag. If I had not been all thumbs when it comes to a needle and thread, or sewing machine, I would have tried what you propose.

I ended up buying a Yeti VIB 150 on line. It is very lightweight, and comes in at 410 grams (not the 370 advertised) and does not have the dreaded hood. Should be warm enough for my mid May start.
http://www.outdoorfair.de/search.aspx?S ... rm=vib+150

Good luck with your sewing project.

We cut the weight of our silk liners by cutting them down (and made up extra bags in the process). Ours had been made in Laos and were enormous to start with. 250g was so much better than 480!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
GoLite made sleeping bags without zippers to save weight. They did not sell well...

How weird.. I thought I just replied to this post, but can't see my reply.

What I said was the Yeti looks awesome!
There are also some very lightweight down bags on Ebay right now.
And REI sells a down travel bag for around $80 - looks good enough for late spring/early fall walking.

I always turn the hood on my silk liner and put the pillow in there, so I am lying on silk (lovely). I also don't need to fiddle with putting those flimsy pillowcases on the pillow. (Yes I know I'm clumsy and inadequate).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum