• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino: A (Re)Introduction (CF - Spring 2020)

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Spring 2022
CP Spring 2024
Thanks to an interesting confluence of events this week - a few chance remarks encountered on these forums, some well-timed pre-Black Friday airfare deals in my email inbox, and a pleasantly contemplative post-Thanksgiving dinner wine and tryptophan haze - I decided to change the dates of the Camino I've been planning for next year.

So instead of beginning in September 2020, I will be flying to Paris on May 6 and starting my walk from SJPdP a few days later.

Being an inveterate planner, as well as constitutionally indecisive (a lethal combination!), I'd gone back and forth a fair amount regarding the relative merits and potential drawbacks of experiencing my first Camino in the Fall rather than the Spring. But it was @JillGat's observation in this thread about seeing storks along the route in the spring and not in the fall that finally decided things for me. What can I say? I like storks.

(I also finally came to accept that the Camino will still be there should I decide to return someday, and will be able to do so at a different time of year. Thanks to everyone on here who pointed that out as well, whether explicitly or through example.)

Moving my start date up four months will of course deprive me of that much opportunity for training and preparation. But I'm in reasonably decent shape thanks to walking and hiking regularly, and feel that I'm already well enough prepared thanks to my propensity for planning ahead in general (see above). And there's no time like the present, or closer to the present - right?

So: flight to Paris and first night's accomodation in SJPdP (at Gite Makila, thanks to another forum suggestion) booked, very general intinerary/schedule penciled in (I'm leaving myself plenty of wiggle room en route to Santiago and thence to Muxia/Finisterre, though right now my calendar seems to have me reaching the latter on the Summer Equinox, which seems apt somehow), REI/Amazon wishlist for a few choice items for my adventures in place ... and now I'm going to tackle getting my details in the Camino Calendar to make it really official 👍

Big thanks to everyone here for your information, insight, inspiration, motivation, and all-around good vibes.
Look forward to crossing paths with some of you next year!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds like you have everything covered. I’m planning Astorga to Santiago to Finisterre for September 2020. Might have crossed paths with you if not for your great Black Friday deal. Good on you for jumping on it and embracing the new found opportunity! I wish you a Buen Camino, Señor!

Outstanding! Sounds like a plan to me.

First of all, the Fall is wonderful but May has completely new experiences to offer. I went Fall last time. Next time will be spring. Days getting longer instead of shorter will be great for you. I'm a planner as well, and one of the things the Camino teaches is that plans are fine, but you still have to go with the flow. Don't worry about training. If you take your time and listen to your body, the Camino will train you. Most people who I saw got in trouble with injuries and the like pushed too hard at the beginning to keep a schedule. We started slowly and built up. If you have the time, don't push too hard at the start and you will get used to it. I'm also glad to see you mentioned your REI list, which I hope means great shoes and socks that fit properly.

I always tell people that they should think of Camino readiness as being well informed, not planning. If you are well informed, then you can respond to the curve balls the Camino tosses you.

Have a great time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking forward to meeting you at the Accueil des Pèlerins in SJPdP, where my wife and I will be volunteers from 4 to 11 May.
Buen camino!

Spring. Is. The. Best.
I love walking in March/April; early May will be a bit busier than that but never mind. There are always ways to find some space.

You've made the decision, and your camino's begun!
Buen camino, peregrino!

I like storks
They are a treat! So long as you're not a frog, lizarard, mouse, puppy, kitten...etc...
View media item 4888

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We will be a couple of days ahead of you - leaving SJPdP on 6 May, and not in a huge hurry so you will probably catch up to us easily. See you on the CF Senor Jacques. Pity the real Senor J can’t come along.
cheers
Glenda

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks to an interesting confluence of events this week - a few chance remarks encountered on these forums, some well-timed pre-Black Friday airfare deals in my email inbox, and a pleasantly contemplative post-Thanksgiving dinner wine and tryptophan haze - I decided to change the dates of the Camino I've been planning for next year.

So instead of beginning in September 2020, I will be flying to Paris on May 6 and starting my walk from SJPdP a few days later.

Being an inveterate planner, as well as constitutionally indecisive (a lethal combination!), I'd gone back and forth a fair amount regarding the relative merits and potential drawbacks of experiencing my first Camino in the Fall rather than the Spring. But it was @JillGat's observation in this thread about seeing storks along the route in the spring and not in the fall that finally decided things for me. What can I say? I like storks.

(I also finally came to accept that the Camino will still be there should I decide to return someday, and will be able to do so at a different time of year. Thanks to everyone on here who pointed that out as well, whether explicitly or through example.)

Moving my start date up four months will of course deprive me of that much opportunity for training and preparation. But I'm in reasonably decent shape thanks to walking and hiking regularly, and feel that I'm already well enough prepared thanks to my propensity for planning ahead in general (see above). And there's no time like the present, or closer to the present - right?

So: flight to Paris and first night's accomodation in SJPdP (at Gite Makila, thanks to another forum suggestion) booked, very general intinerary/schedule penciled in (I'm leaving myself plenty of wiggle room en route to Santiago and thence to Muxia/Finisterre, though right now my calendar seems to have me reaching the latter on the Summer Equinox, which seems apt somehow), REI/Amazon wishlist for a few choice items for my adventures in place ... and now I'm going to tackle getting my details in the Camino Calendar to make it really official 👍

Big thanks to everyone here for your information, insight, inspiration, motivation, and all-around good vibes.
Look forward to crossing paths with some of you next year!
Buen Camino!✨ I’ll walk the same route (from SJPdP to Santiago and then to Finisterre/Muxia) a few days behind you. 🙂

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good to hear! I plan on taking things slowly the first several days and will be spending a few days in Pamplona, so maybe we'll catch up to each other at some point 😊
Well, I definitely won’t be the fastest walker out there!😅 At the moment my plan is to reach Santiago in 34 days (staying at Orisson first day to not kill myself and soak up that real camino vibe + maybe give myself some days off somewhere further on the way) and then continue to Finisterre and Muxia (or vice versa, dunno yet). But I guess I’ll know exactly what/where/when only when I’m there, depending on how it all goes and feels. I have May 13- June 20/21 for this walk. So, hopefully should be enough to manage to stop and smell the roses on my way too. Maybe see you in Pamplona then! Or somewhere else! 🤷‍♀️😊

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back