• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first Camino ! April-May 2017

alfachik

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2017
Hello everyone! I'm Marty from the USA, precisely the Ozarks of SW Missouri. Been lurking on here a while and planning my solo Camino Frances around April 17th until whenever I end-hopefully late May. I have always wanted to go to Spain but suppose I never knew exactly why until a brief but "serendipitous" encounter with someone in July and she said I MUST do it. It immediately struck me that this was what I wanted, what I was missing, this is what I needed. A bit later I came across a lady and I commented on her necklace ( a piece from her Camino), the next day she brought me a very old book she had about the Camino-it was all meant to be and the arrows point me to the Camino. I have gathered so much information from this forum and I feel ready to go. I'm planning to celebrate my 67th birthday with fellow pilgrims on my Camino. I'm very active and in great shape for my age. Not nervous about anything, shoes, weather, backpack, etc. -it will all work out. Still looking on best way to get to SJPDP from the US. I'm thinking Paris then train to Bayonne to SJPDP. So looking forward to my Camino, meeting fellow pilgrims along the way Thank you for all the wise posts. I will continue to follow and ask questions as I move forward. I am privileged to be included in the "Class of 2017". Buen Camino!
PS......Husband thinks I'm crazy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You are not crazy to walk camino. I flew NYC to Madrid, took train: Madrid to Hendaye, Hendaye to SJPP. Check raileurope.com for timetable. Or, you can take Alsa bus from airport to Pamplona then taxi or bus to SJPP.

Buen camino.

You are not crazy to walk camino. I flew NYC to Madrid, took train: Madrid to Hendaye, Hendaye to SJPP. Check raileurope.com for timetable. Or, you can take Alsa bus from airport to Pamplona then taxi or bus to SJPP.

Buen camino.
Thanks for the info!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Marty. You will love it. Wishing you fair weather and a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
PS. You could always fly to Dublin if its cheaper and the direct to Biarritz.

I haven't met anyone who has been to Barcelona who didn't love it. You can fly, train or bus to Pamplona after a few days stay there. Maybe you can fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't met anyone who has been to Barcelona who didn't love it. You can fly, train or bus to Pamplona after a few days stay there. Maybe you can fly into Barcelona and out of Madrid.
Thanks for the suggestion, I would love to visit Barcelona! I have planned an extra week after for just that reason.

Hi everyone! I'm planning on starting the Camino in the beginning of April, from SJPP! Loving this forum and glad to be a part of Class of 2017! Still gathering as much info, tips and history as I can!
Yes, I am overwhelmed with all the info on this forum. Buen Camino!

Hello everyone! I'm Marty from the USA, precisely the Ozarks of SW Missouri. Been lurking on here a while and planning my solo Camino Frances around April 17th until whenever I end-hopefully late May. I have always wanted to go to Spain but suppose I never knew exactly why until a brief but "serendipitous" encounter with someone in July and she said I MUST do it. It immediately struck me that this was what I wanted, what I was missing, this is what I needed. A bit later I came across a lady and I commented on her necklace ( a piece from her Camino), the next day she brought me a very old book she had about the Camino-it was all meant to be and the arrows point me to the Camino. I have gathered so much information from this forum and I feel ready to go. I'm planning to celebrate my 67th birthday with fellow pilgrims on my Camino. I'm very active and in great shape for my age. Not nervous about anything, shoes, weather, backpack, etc. -it will all work out. Still looking on best way to get to SJPDP from the US. I'm thinking Paris then train to Bayonne to SJPDP. So looking forward to my Camino, meeting fellow pilgrims along the way Thank you for all the wise posts. I will continue to follow and ask questions as I move forward. I am privileged to be included in the "Class of 2017". Buen Camino!
Hi Marty, I'll be on my second Camino Frances at nearly the exact same time as yourself. We will be heading out from St.JPDP on April 13 but you may catch up as I'll have my parents (mid 70s), my wife, and 6 yr old son in tow! We'll be joining you as the class of 2017!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Marty, I'll be on my second Camino Frances at nearly the exact same time as yourself. We will be heading out from St.JPDP on April 13 but you may catch up as I'll have my parents (mid 70s), my wife, and 6 yr old son in tow! We'll be join you as the class of 2017!
Hi Steve, my Camino gets more exciting as I see more of us going in April. Wonderful to have your parents and family with you. I would love to meet up with you parents too. What a wonderful experience for your son! I hope we all meet up along the way. Coming from the US and dates aren't set in stone-still trying to find best flights. Buen Camino!

Hi Steve, my Camino gets more exciting as I see more of us going in April. Wonderful to have your parents and family with you. I would love to meet up with you parents too. What a wonderful experience for your son! I hope we all meet up along the way. Coming from the US and dates aren't set in stone-still trying to find best flights. Buen Camino!
Thanks Marty, I did the Camino Frances in 2015 with my (then) 17 year old son. My wife so saw the impact it had on me she wanted to experience it as well. We are so looking forward walking it as a family.
We are flying into Madrid (as we did in 2015) on the morning of April 11, will then train up to Pamplona and on to SJPDP. I'm American but live in Hong Kong. Hope to meet you and Buen Camino!

Thanks Marty, I did the Camino Frances in 2015 with my (then) 17 year old son. My wife so saw the impact it had on me she wanted to experience it as well. We are so looking forward walking it as a family.
We are flying into Madrid (as we did in 2015) on the morning of April 11, will then train up to Pamplona and on to SJPDP. I'm American but live in Hong Kong. Hope to meet you and Buen Camino!
I think I shall fly into Paris and take the train to Bayonne. We don't have much train travel in US so, having the time, I would hopefully enjoy that experience. I'm certain I will see your post around various forums. I might even be wearing my "cowgirl" hat. Thanks again, and again Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I shall fly into Paris and take the train to Bayonne. We don't have much train travel in US so, having the time, I would hopefully enjoy that experience. I'm certain I will see your post around various forums. I might even be wearing my "cowgirl" hat. Thanks again, and again Buen Camino.
My parents are flying from America and fly into Paris on the 11 the of April and I'll be arranging their train down to SJPDP. BTW, I recently interviewed a couple from Missouri that just completed the Camino for a podcast I do.
Will certainly be on the lookout for the girl with the cowboy hat :)

Buen camino.
Finding a bit of a challenge to get from here to there as my departure can mean so many flight connections. I think I've decided SGF to Paris and then train to Bayonne then train to SJPDP. Would love to see Barcelona and Madrid so may return that route but not set in stone yet. Thank you for your info. Buen Camino!

Go for it. You will never be the same again. You will be planning your next camino on your flight home!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sometimes it feels like your Camino starts well before you get to SJPDP! My husband & I are planning to start our Camino on 18th April, Marty, perhaps our paths with cross, Buen Camino.

Go for it. You will never be the same again. You will be planning your next camino on your flight home!!!
I feel so ready to go and I just know this is meant to be. Thank you so much. Buen Camino

Sometimes it feels like your Camino starts well before you get to SJPDP! My husband & I are planning to start our Camino on 18th April, Marty, perhaps our paths with cross, Buen Camino.
Yes, I sometimes feel as though I'm already on my way! I do hope we cross paths. Thank you and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@alfachik When I walked in 2013 I flew into Paris and then took the train down as you are planning. Like you, I was 67 and traveled alone. Going back this April, but will be traveling with my grand daughter and meeting friends in SJPP that I met on our 2013 Camino. Perhaps our paths will cross. We are leaving SJPP on April 15.

@alfachik When I walked in 2013 I flew into Paris and then took the train down as you are planning. Like you, I was 67 and traveled alone. Going back this April, but will be traveling with my grand daughter and meeting friends in SJPP that I met on our 2013 Camino. Perhaps our paths will cross. We are leaving SJPP on April 15.
How wonderful for your grand daughter to experience the journey with you. I see you are from Murray, KY? I've been there a few times. I live in Springfield, MO-almost across the river from you. Thank you so much for your info, I do believe this will be my most exceptional "solo" trip. Yes, I hope our paths cross! Buen Camino!

Hi, Marty. My husband and I are in Boulder/Lafayette, Colorado. Doing the Camino May 13th. I found flying Denver to Newark to Paris the best price and flying time. Round trip for 2 under $1000. Plan to take train from Paris to Bayonne and bus or taxi Bayonne to SJPP. Maybe our paths will cross.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Marty. My husband and I are in Boulder/Lafayette, Colorado. Doing the Camino May 13th. I found flying Denver to Newark to Paris the best price and flying time. Round trip for 2 under $1000. Plan to take train from Paris to Bayonne and bus or taxi Bayonne to SJPP. Maybe our paths will cross.
Karen, thanks for that info, that's a good flight deal and I'll look into that. It can be challenging flying out of Springfield so I may have to drive to St. Louis. I'm happy I've made the decision to fly to Paris and take the train to Bayonne. Yes, maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino to you and your husband!

Hey! I'm starting my second Camino on April 4. The Camino is a magical place and it will stay with you forever. Best of luck to you and I wish you Buen Camino!

Hey! I'm starting my second Camino on April 4. The Camino is a magical place and it will stay with you forever. Best of luck to you and I wish you Buen Camino!
I am so looking forward to my Camino. Thanks! Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Marty, Marty, Marty. How lucky you are to be doing this. I've been planning my "Solo" Camino for over a year and I'm walking from Leon to Santiago in March 2017. Mainly due to time constraints. London and Madrid will start off my time in Europe and then after I arrive in Santiago de Compostela I'm off again to Lisbon and The Algarve in Portugal. I'm excited and nervous at the same time but I know I'll be fine because there is no other option than to be at peace with myself and my surroundings. I'm from Nova Scotia so the cold will not be a factor. March in Spain will be more than comfortable although wet. I'll blaze the trail for you and be thinking of you and all the other newbies along The Way. Have fun and Buen Camino.

Hi Shane and thank you for the encouragement. Oh, my, you are quite the traveler and yes, I can understand how you will enjoy your "warm weather" Camino. I'm still in awe of all the signs that led me to embark on my first Camino. Thanks for blazing the trail for those of us following you! Buen Camino!

Marty,

If you haven't booked all your tickets yet, check out www.skyscanner.com for super cheap flights (especially if you can be flexible with your dates). I will be starting from SJPP April 11th/12th for my first (and solo) camino. So exciting! Maybe we'll meet on the Way : )

Cheers,

Bradley

Looks like a full house for April! I myself will get to Pamplona on April 17th and start off from there the next day. Surely we will all cross paths at one time or another. Buen Camino to one and all!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.