• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April 2024 - my first Camino from SJPDP

joe0410

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances
Ciao a tutti.
My name is Giuseppe, I'm 63 from Milan and I'll be travelling on April the 10th from SJPDP. It is my first Camino and my first leg will be from SJPDP to Roncisvalle. Despite I'm quite fit and I'm doing a lot of training I'm a little bit concerned about the elevation gain (more than 1200mt), the distance (26km) and weather conditions. Ani advice will be highly appreciated. Grazie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ciao a tutti.
My name is Giuseppe, I'm 63 from Milan and I'll be travelling on April the 10th from SJPDP. It is my first Camino and my first leg will be from SJPDP to Roncisvalle. Despite I'm quite fit and I'm doing a lot of training I'm a little bit concerned about the elevation gain (more than 1200mt), the distance (26km) and weather conditions. Ani advice will be highly appreciated. Grazie

SJPP to Roncesvalles can be broken into two days. Some folks walk SJPP to Orisson or Valcarlos on day one. Then on to Roncesvalles day two.

Check out those options.

Buen camino.

It is quite a day, especially as it is the 1st, but as you are "quite fit" then a) start early having checked the first km the night before so that you get a good start (do this every night as if you are to go wrong it is likely at the start of the day) b) take one layer of clothing off as you start the steep climb c) walk slowly, short steps d) stop and look back frequently pretend to take photos if necessary until you are ready to start again e) stop at Orisson for a good rest/drink/snack f) it gets easier from here although still upwards so just walk at a comfortable speed without getting breathless, it is recommended that you walk at a speed that you can talk g) there is snack stop before you reach the stop so take a rest there so that you are ready for quite a steep descent to Roncesvalles that tests your knees! h) Congratulate yourself on a good day that you have overcome probably the hardest day of your journey with a drink or two, mix with fellow pilgrims who will all be in a high that you will meet along the way over the coming weeks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thanks a lot for your advises. based on your experience how long it may take from sjpp to roncesvalles at a speed that you can talk?

Ciao Giuseppe
I am definitely one of the people that would suggest to make a stop mid-way. If Napoleon Route is open - the view from the big deck at Orisson simply cannot be beat (especially for your "beginning" day)
How long it may take....
It took me about 3 hours and 40 mins to get from St Jean to Orisson. I walked slow (perhaps even very slow) but 'deliberately' (deliberatamente)
next morning I walked from Orisson to Roncesvalles. It was tough for me. Again - very slow but steady. climbing but at the same time stopping for rest breaks, taking photos, spending some time contemplating 'life' by the Virgin of Roncesvalles. Heck, I even took a tiny nap on the top of Col Lepoder before committing myself to the descend. with all that - it took me 8 hours... perhaps thats a lot but i was 'fine'. I got to Roncesvalles slightly before 16:00 and didnt feel like I lost anything
I think one CAN walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles in about 8 hours in one day. I believe those who can calculate things like this state that in the mountains with steady climb a person averages about 2-3 km\hour. If I remember correectly its about 22km total distance
No matter what you decide - Good Luck and Buen Camino!!!

It is a good walk and makes for a long day but if you are quite fit will have no problem walking the Napoleon route from St Jean to Roncesvalles. Tens of thousands do every year and they are of all manner of fitness level. Take breaks, hydrate and bring at least one liter of water with you and refill every chance you can. Bring something to eat such as fruit or nuts.
Most pilgrims walk all the way to Roncesvalles. Most pilgrims do not stay the night at Orisson etc.
The times I walked it I left St Jean around 7 am and got to Roncesvalles around 3-4 pm I think.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ciao Giuseppe,

In 2013 I walked SJPdP leaving Sept 3rd to Roncesvalles, it took me 8 hours. I was not in as good a shape as you, I'm sure of it. The weather was warm/hot.

In 2016 I walked the same path leaving April 15th. It took me 7 hours again, with little training before hand. The weather was cold and windy. Very windy.

The weather is unpredictable especially in April. Always follow the advice from the Pilgrims Office in SJPdP.

I'm so very excited for you. :cool: Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ciao Giuseppe,

In 2013 I walked SJPdP leaving Sept 3rd to Roncesvalles, it took me 8 hours. I was not in as good a shape as you, I'm sure of it. The weather was warm/hot.

In 2016 I walked the same path leaving April 15th. It took me 7 hours again, with little training before hand. The weather was cold and windy. Very windy.

The weather is unpredictable especially in April. Always follow the advice from the Pilgrims Office in SJPdP.

I'm so very excited for you. :cool: Buen Camino!
grazie 1000 .. which means thanks a lot in italian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Giuseppe

I'm 64 and reasonably fit but need to do more walking. I shall be starting from SJPDP on 23 April 2024 and stopping in Orisson. Whilst it seems very short I am keen not to do too much on the first day. My aim is to get to Burgos this trip, unfortunatley I am still working so time is difficult, hopefully in 2 years I will do the whole Frances, but for now my plan is to walk it in 3 stages. Good luck with your Camino my friend.

SJPP to Roncesvalles can be broken into two days. Some folks walk SJPP to Orisson or Valcarlos on day one. Then on to Roncesvalles day two.

Check out those options.

Buen camino.
I leave SJDP on the 10th and have done just that. 1st night Orisson, 2nd Roncesvalles. Taking the adice ive read so often to start like a pensioner and arrive live a youth......(Oh but I am a pensioner!) Good luck. & Buen Camino..:)

I think one CAN walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles in about 8 hours in one day. I believe those who can calculate things like this state that in the mountains with steady climb a person averages about 2-3 km\hour. If I remember correectly its about 22km total distance
Invitation accepted. I calculated an estimate of 11.5 hours.

Previously I took two GPS tracks for the two ways to Roncesvalles (both via Ibaneta) and ran them through the profile program at https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input to generate a comparison profile chart and gather some statistics. For the Route Napoleon it said the distance was 25 km and the elevation gain was 1,400 m. Using Naismith's Rule at Wikipedia I calculated an estimated time to walk the 25 km at 5 kph to be 7 hours and 20 minutes (5 hours for the horizontal and 2 hours 20 minutes additional for the slower walking due to the elevation gain). I'm calling it 7.5 hours. That is a long enough walk to apply Trantor's Corrections for being tired and slowing down on long walks and any significant elevation gains (Trantor's Corrections are also at the Naismith's Rule Wikipedia page). Using a value for a slightly less than average fitness (the 30 minute row on the chart) the correction for a Naismith value of 7.5 hours of walking would be 11.5 hours.

The chart and statistics are at

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be starting from SJPP on April 17 and will stay overnight at Borda, which looks very nice and cosy. I'm reasonably fit, but I'm flying in from New Zealand and the jet lag can be pretty bad, so I'm going to take it easy the first few days. If the pass is closed due to bad weather then I'll stop at Valcarlos (does anyone know if Borda will refund booking in the event the pass is closed?).
Buen Camino Giuseppe!

Invitation accepted. I calculated an estimate of 11.5 hours.

Previously I took two GPS tracks for the two ways to Roncesvalles (both via Ibaneta) and ran them through the profile program at https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input to generate a comparison profile chart and gather some statistics. For the Route Napoleon it said the distance was 25 km and the elevation gain was 1,400 m. Using Naismith's Rule at Wikipedia I calculated an estimated time to walk the 25 km at 5 kph to be 7 hours and 20 minutes (5 hours for the horizontal and 2 hours 20 minutes additional for the slower walking due to the elevation gain). I'm calling it 7.5 hours. That is a long enough walk to apply Trantor's Corrections for being tired and slowing down on long walks and any significant elevation gains (Trantor's Corrections are also at the Naismith's Rule Wikipedia page). Using a value for a slightly less than average fitness (the 30 minute row on the chart) the correction for a Naismith value of 7.5 hours of walking would be 11.5 hours.

The chart and statistics are at
As I said in earlier post I did
SJPdP --> Orisson 3.75 hrs and Orisson --> Roncesvalles 8 hrs that does == 11.75
your calculations are spot on 👍

As I said in earlier post I did
SJPdP --> Orisson 3.75 hrs and Orisson --> Roncesvalles 8 hrs that does == 11.75
your calculations are spot on 👍
To be fair, your earlier post does give the time to Orisson but not the time from Orisson to Roncesvalles. It then goes on to say:
I think one CAN walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles in about 8 hours in one day.
It is not unreasonable from that to infer that you meant less than 5 hours from Orisson to Roncesvalles for a total of 8 hours from St Jean to Roncesvalles, since you gave the times for the first leg and the whole, but not for the second leg.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was a young and fit 53 years old in 2006, the first time I crossed from SJPP to Roncesvalles.
We had made reservations at Orisson, but the hospitalero at SJPP convinced us to cancel and walk the entire stage. Big mistake and I've never made THAT mistake again! It almost broke me and almost ruined our entire Camino. I had shin splints and (literally) cried all the way into Roncesvalles.

David mentioned BORDA and I love staying there. It's only a kilometer past Orisson and a wonderful experience. Reservations are now open and you can find Auberge Borda on Facebook. The price for this tightly run ship includes your own little cubby bed in an 8-bed dorm, hot showers, a family-style dinner, and breakfast. I'll be staying there again this year.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back