• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Camino in August and I feel lost...

LillyV

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (August 2015)
Hi there!

It turns out that I finally have the opportunity to do the Camino, BUT it is around the corner. I only have August to do it and I am starting to worry that there is not enough time for proper planning.

I have been researching on packing tips and think I will be ok with that. Already printed the suggested packing tips. Do you recommend I bring a small tent?

What I am having trouble with is how to know which city to book my return flight. I would like to do the Camino Frances. From the calculations I have made, I may be walking about 5 hours per day; not sure if more hours can be done. I have a lower back surgery (fusion) and one knee starting to bother; nevertheless, I don't want these to keep me from doing it. I already looked into travelers insurance with Travel Guard, which seems to have pretty good coverage.

I don't have a clue of realistic timing from the Camino Frances and where will I end by August 31st. Any suggestions as to how to plan the flight arrangements?

Thank you in advance for any advice I can get!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First advice s to leave the tent home. Second is that you don't much palnning, so breathe in. As far as from where and to where:

1. How many days do you have?
2. How important is it for you to reach Santiago this time?
3. How do you feel abiut skipping stages?

With this info I qm sure you wil get tons of suggestions!

I know it's easy to tell you to just breathe in, part if the process in mu first 4 Caminos has been worrying and over plannning, but you may be a better pilgrim than I am and be able to no worry on trip 1.

There are buses and trains in many towns, taxis can be called from any village. So getting back home is not as difficult as it seems.

First advice s to leave the tent home. Second is that you don't much palnning, so breathe in. As far as from where and to where:

1. How many days do you have?
2. How important is it for you to reach Santiago this time?
3. How do you feel abiut skipping stages?

With this info I qm sure you wil get tons of suggestions!

I know it's easy to tell you to just breathe in, part if the process in mu first 4 Caminos has been worrying and over plannning, but you may be a better pilgrim than I am and be able to no worry on trip 1.

There are buses and trains in many towns, taxis can be called from any village. So getting back home is not as difficult as it seems.

THANK YOU SO MUCH ANEMONE!! ALREADY BREATHING IN :) :)
1. I only have from August 3 - 31st
2. Wherever I can make it, I will be fine. The important thing is to get started, be there and at least make it to somewhere in Spain
3. I am okay with skipping stages.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
THANK YOU SO MUCH ANEMONE!! ALREADY BREATHING IN :) :)
1. I only have from August 3 - 31st
2. Wherever I can make it, I will be fine. The important thing is to get started, be there and at least make it to somewhere in Spain
3. I am okay with skipping stages.
I love the bit fromfrom SJPP to Pamplona, but perhaps Burgos onwards may work? You say 5 hours a day, but at what speed? 3km an hour or more? You would have a longish day, in the heat after Carrion de los Condes, but leaving early, carrying an umbrelaa and water and you would see big sky galore!

You don't give us much information about your situation, so it's not easy to respond. Do you have good shoes? Backpack? Are you used to walking? Have you ever travelled?
I have a lower back surgery (fusion) and one knee starting to bother; nevertheless, I don't want these to keep me from doing it.
Much as we don't want limitations, we all need to take into consideration our physical abilities. Go out and walk for 5 hours (or even 3 hours, to start). How far did you go? Multiply that by the number of days and see what the total is. Trace back on a map from Santiago to see where it gets you.
I don't have a clue of realistic timing from the Camino Frances and where will I end by August 31st. Any suggestions as to how to plan the flight arrangements?
Most people walk from 15-25 km/day on average. Maybe you could fly to Madrid, bus or train to Pamplona or Burgos or Sahagun (that will take a day), and start walking. Then you might need to take a bus in certain sections, depending on the timing. Plan another full day to travel from Santiago (or wherever you reach) back to Madrid and then get your flight home from Madrid. Since August is only 3 weeks away, you may be unhappy about air fares!

Good luck and buen camino!

You might consider flying in and out of Santiago.
Upon your arrival, spend a night to adjust to the time change, then catch a bus to Sarria.
Walk the last 100 kilometers from Sarria to Santiago but take your time.
This way, you will not be in a rush, you can take it as slow as you need to, and you will get your Compostela.

I do NOT suggest taking a tent.
Doing just the Sarria to Santiago section will also allow you more cash to stay in private lodgings when you wish.
It will also give you the cash to pay for pack transport, which is only €3 per stage from Sarria.
However, using pack transport, you'll need to know each morning how far you plan to walk and where you plan to stay.

Then upon your arrival to Santiago, you can spend 2 or 3 days exploring, maybe take a taxi trip to Finisterre and Muxia, then back to Santiago to fly out.

You will have walked the Camino.
You will have earned your Compostela.
And you will not have injured yourself in a race for a bed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Coming from the USA, I would recommend you book a round trip to Madrid. You can take a bus directly from the airport to Pamplona (or catch a train) and be there the same day. Spend the night in Pamplona, get your credential and start walking the next day. Walk at your own speed and see how it goes. Take a good guide (Brierly) so you can see the distances and make plans for the next day or week. As you near your time to depart you will easily be able to catch a bus to the nearest city and from there catch a bus or train back to Madrid. Stay the night in Madrid and leave early the next day. You just need to plan two days at the end to get back to Madrid. Most of the cheaper priced flights from the U.S. will be to Madrid. I always fly in and out of Madrid then use a bus (directly from the airport) to get to my starting point and take Ryan Air flight from Santiago back to Madrid (others may take the train).
Starting in Pamplona will enable you to start with other new pilgrims (many start from Pamplona). The scenery is beautiful in this area and you will be seasoned before you hit the meseta. You said it wasn't important to reach Santiago on this trip so this way you wouldn't need to skip stages (unless you want to). Without pressure to reach a specific destination, you won't have to worry about how many hours or km. you can walk each day. If you decide to book a Madrid flight you can do a search here and find lots of help on booking/finding buses and trains. Enjoy your camino!

I agree with Laura. You seem to be chilled out with the goals and aims of your trip. I would get to Pamplona (which is fantastic) and just walk from there. See how you get on!

I think you have it right as the journey is important.

Stop when you're tired. Eat when you're hungry and drink when you're thirsty. Simples.

If you need to get the bus....get the bus.

Enjoy the experience and remember everyone on the path is there to help.

Only advice I would give is pack light and wear comfortable shoes that you're used to walking in. If you don't wear boots don't buy any specifically for the trip. Poles will help if you have a dickie knee.

Loads of places to buy cheap t-shirts etc on the way.

I hope you have a cracking time and just go with the flow.

LillyV:

I would recommend you start in Burgos. This should give you plenty of time to walk to Santiago. It will also allow you to spend some time with your Camino family in Santiago. I am not averse to people taking trains, buses or cabs to complete their Camino. That said, the intermittent continuity of walking with a Camino family and celebrating those new relationships in Santiago are an inherent benefit of the Camino. Other means of transport throws you out of sync with new friends, imo. This is why I recommend a very doable starting point with the time frame you have stated. I do not believe you can make Santiago from Pamplona, walking 5 hours a day, in your defined time frame.

I would also suggest you fly in and out of Madrid. This point of entry is the easiest in and out, imo. From Madrid, I would take the train from the Chamartin station to Burgos. You can get to the train station by cab (30 euro's) or go to the Cercanias train station in Terminal 4 and take that to Chamartin. It runs every half hour. You can also purchase your ticket to Burgos in the airport Renfe station and avoid potentially long lines at the train station. Buses are also available.

Returning, I like the overnight train from Santiago to Madrid Chamartin. It arrives 8:00am and then you take the local Cercanias train to the airport. There are also buses and flights from Santiago to Madrid. The decision here is dependent on your flight time and personal preference.

Whatever your decision, I am sure it will be best for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might consider flying in and out of Santiago.
Upon your arrival, spend a night to adjust to the time change, then catch a bus to Sarria.
Walk the last 100 kilometers from Sarria to Santiago but take your time.
This way, you will not be in a rush, you can take it as slow as you need to, and you will get your Compostela.

I do NOT suggest taking a tent.
Doing just the Sarria to Santiago section will also allow you more cash to stay in private lodgings when you wish.
It will also give you the cash to pay for pack transport, which is only €3 per stage from Sarria.
However, using pack transport, you'll need to know each morning how far you plan to walk and where you plan to stay.

Then upon your arrival to Santiago, you can spend 2 or 3 days exploring, maybe take a taxi trip to Finisterre and Muxia, then back to Santiago to fly out.

You will have walked the Camino.
You will have earned your Compostela.
And you will not have injured yourself in a race for a bed.

I agree with Annie. Because of your back and knee concerns, you might have some trouble and disappointment in some other stages. If you find you want more, you can take a train to another part of the Camino and walk a few more sections (a great way to see Spain), or travel to the Andalusia and see a different Spain. If you do these things, you'll need to be more flexible about your departure, but you'll surely end up going through Madrid to get home. (Trains are good and easy to use.)
Buen Viaje

Hi Lilly,

It sounds as though you have the right attitude, so I expect that you will have a great Camino experience.

As you've probably gathered, there are lots of possible options and all have their merits. I agree with the suggestions about flying in and out of Madrid, as it's relatively easy to get there from most parts of Spain. I also suggest starting in Burgos, as your first few days of walking will be relatively flat and you can begin with a couple of short stages. You can catch a bus to Burgos from Madrid Airport (Terminal 4). It takes just 2.5 hours and it's very comfortable and efficient. You can book your ticket online at Alsa.es. For the return journey, you can choose between a bus, train or flight from Santiago.

You should be well able to get from Burgos to Santiago in a month, without needing to skip stages. But it's good that you're flexible if the need arises.

If you have extra days when you arrive in Santiago, you could consider walking some or all of the way to Finisterre or Muxia.

Buen Camino,

Nuala

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH EVERYONE!!! :) This is amazing, you all have been awesome and I thank you for all your advise and words of encouragement. Today I booked my ticket to Madrid, both ways and it feels so great! Now all that is left to do is wait for a few things ordered online and start packing and look up the other suggested train and flight tickets. I am so looking forward to the trip and the experiences to come! All the best! :)

LilliV: Have a fantastic time on your camino! No worries...everything will work out.

Wow! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH EVERYONE!!! :) This is amazing, you all have been awesome and I thank you for all your advise and words of encouragement. Today I booked my ticket to Madrid, both ways and it feels so great! Now all that is left to do is wait for a few things ordered online and start packing and look up the other suggested train and flight tickets. I am so looking forward to the trip and the experiences to come! All the best! :)
Hi Lilly, you will have a great time. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lilly,

It sounds as though you have the right attitude, so I expect that you will have a great Camino experience.

As you've probably gathered, there are lots of possible options and all have their merits. I agree with the suggestions about flying in and out of Madrid, as it's relatively easy to get there from most parts of Spain. I also suggest starting in Burgos, as your first few days of walking will be relatively flat and you can begin with a couple of short stages. You can catch a bus to Burgos from Madrid Airport (Terminal 4). It takes just 2.5 hours and it's very comfortable and efficient. You can book your ticket online at Alsa.es. For the return journey, you can choose between a bus, train or flight from Santiago.

You should be well able to get from Burgos to Santiago in a month, without needing to skip stages. But it's good that you're flexible if the need arises.

If you have extra days when you arrive in Santiago, you could consider walking some or all of the way to Finisterre or Muxia.

Buen Camino,

Nuala
Thank you Nuala! Everyone has been so amazing and supportive. Can't wait!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.