• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

My first pilgrim walk

Kiwi88

Time of past OR future Camino
Doing my first Camino end of April starting from st Jean
Hi,
So I'm doing my first Camino walk and was wondering how easy it is to get accomodation each night. I'm starting from st Jean on the 25th of April and was wondering if I have to pre book accomodation or if you can just show up at the hostels? I'm just a bit worried that I won't get a bed for the night. As I'm walking very light and won't have a sleeping bag with me to be able to rough it for a night. Any suggestions would be amazing

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi @Kiwi88, welcome to the forum.

There's no need to pre-book accommodation, unless you are arriving quite late in St Jean. Just go to the pilgrim office and they will help you.

It could be cold in April, so you might want to rethink your decision not to take a sleeping bag. Although many albergues have blankets, this is not guaranteed.

Buen Camino!

Hola - I wonder when you say you are not taking a sleeping bag whether you do not plan to stay in Albergues but intend to sleep in hostels or hotels? If this is the case I'd book the first two or three nights until you get a sense of the number of pilgrims walking. You can use booking.com along the Camino Frances. I've done it by just turning up and when you leave is still quite early - but you'll soon get a feel for it.

Buen Camino

John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would pre-book accommodations in SJPDP...Roncenvalles...Pamplona...and Santiago...take a chance everywhere else on the Camino.

It could be cold in April, so you might want to rethink your decision not to take a sleeping bag. Although many albergues have blankets, this is not guaranteed.
I tend to agree with NualaOC. There are several very lightweight approaches that will keep lodging options open to you. I carry a down bag that weighs about one pound and is rated at 32degF. It was expensive, but I've taken it nearly everywhere, from Morocco to Europe to Nepal. Too, you could go with a lightweight down blanket and a silk liner. Super light option. Or, another is a REI Travel Sack. The Travel Sack is synthetic, inexpensive and fairly light at less than two pounds.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum