• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My First Pilgrimage Awaits - August 2015 I'm SO EXCITED

Dan the Man

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2015, 2017, 2019
Hi Everyone:

I am so new to the forum and all it offers. I just simply hope to chat, plan, and use it to make the most of my adventure!

I am Dan from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have been reading/pondering about this adventure for quite some time. I am ECSTATIC that my dream of walking the Camino De Santiago is quickly becoming a reality. I will be volunteering for the 2015 Pan American (PAN AM ) Games being held in Toronto this July. After that, I am free to begin and will most likely start in August! I will take as long as I need, no definate return date set yet.

I am doing a solo adventure and hope to chat and laugh (and most likely cry) with new found friends along the way.

I have not yet booked flights but plan to do it from beginning to end starting in St. Jean Pied du Porte. I am so excited!

I am hoping that after retiring from my career of 31 years as a school principal, completing 3 years of care giving (most recently palliative care) for my dad, this journey will seem like a new beginning for me. At the very least, I hope to share a laugh or two with newly met people along the way.

I look forward to any advice form experienced and non experienced fellow peregrinos.

Buen Camino my friends!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome, Dan (from another Torontonian). I'm sure you'll find answers here to almost anything you might need to know.

Hi Stratophile:

Thanks! When did you or when are you planning to do it? I can start Late July through to late August. I have read so much about when is best and now figuring that i just need to start and can take a slong as i wish? I am so excited!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My first was several years ago (fall 2012). This forum was instrumental in helping me research it - so many friendly, helpful people and very little "my way is the only way" nonsense (lots of strong opinions, but usually presented very reasonably). Now, I do a few sections of the Camino whenever I am in Spain on business. I do long-distance walking all over the world, but the Camino is one of my favorites.

My first was several years ago (fall 2012). This forum was instrumental in helping me research it - so many friendly, helpful people and very little "my way is the only way" nonsense (lots of strong opinions, but usually presented very reasonably). Now, I do a few sections of the Camino whenever I am in Spain on business. I do long-distance walking all over the world, but the Camino is one of my favorites.
Ok so I ask everyone and specifically you, Is August or even September a better time to start knowing I will end it in either September (August start) or October.

i imagine solititude at times is good as well and friendships and socilaizing?

What is the best 2-3 pieces of advice you can give me?

Dan

It really depends on what you are looking for. Even a winter Camino can be amazing (I've only done small sections during winter, but there are plenty of people who do their entire Camino then). I did my Camino in September, finishing in October. However, my favorite times on the Camino have been sections I've done in the spring - there is just something about the flowers blooming, nature coming back to life, etc., that is uplifting (and I deeply apologize if that makes you roll your eyes! LOL).

As for pieces of advice... hmmm... off the top of my head:

1. Don't get worked up / worried about your Camino. Relax. Enjoy. The Camino is probably the easiest long-distance hike in the world. It's well waymarked. The terrain is (relatively) easy. Great infrastructure. Affordable. Lots of information available. Do some research, of course (which is fun in its own way anyway!), but don't fret over it. Packing / keeping your carry weight down is important but is really mostly common sense (and yes, many will vehemently disagree with me on that; you'll have to do the research and make your own mind up) . There is lots of great advice on these forums but my suggestion is to not get bogged down worrying about it.

2. If you aren't used to long-distance walking, try to get in some training walks in advance just to get your feet used to the demands that you'll be putting on them. You don't really need any hardcore training regime and you don't need to panic about your readiness (see point #1, above) but simply get out and walk. In Toronto, try along the Humber River or some of the "Discovery Trails". Head out to the Bruce Trail (our own 800+km trail, if you aren't familiar with it!) for some good all-day hikes. Find some good hills to walk up and down (High Park has some nice hills). And so on. When you actually start the Camino, start slowly and allow your body to get used to it. Even people who are used to lots of day and weekend hikes often find that the day-in and day-out routine of a long-distance walk takes some getting used to. Even if you are totally out of shape, your body will adjust with minimal issues if you simply build yourself up slowly.

3. Pick where you want to start based on your interests and preferences, not at any artificial 'required' starting point such as Saint Jean. In Camino terms, there is nothing special about Saint Jean. You could start in Roncesvalles. Or Pamplona. Or León. Or Le Puy. Or Lisbon. Or London. Or Kiev. :) That said, I started in Saint Jean and am glad I did. Lovely town. And I really enjoyed the Pyrenees. You are not 'cheating' if you start in Burgos or anywhere else.

4. Learn a little bit of Spanish before departing, even if just a few basic phrases / courtesies. While you can easily do the entire Camino without a single word of Spanish by using gestures and occasional lookups in a phrasebook, putting in the effort to learn at least a few words and to be able to use courtesies is highly appreciated by the locals and is respectful of them. To each his own, of course, but I'm always disappointed when I see people in foreign countries who don't even bother to learn 'hello', 'please', 'thank you', and 'Sorry, I shouldn't have had those beans last night...'.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone:

I am so new to the forum and all it offers. I just simply hope to chat, plan, and use it to make the most of my adventure!

I am Dan from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have been reading/pondering about this adventure for quite some time. I am ECSTATIC that my dream of walking the Camino De Santiago is quickly becoming a reality. I will be volunteering for the 2015 Pan American (PAN AM ) Games being held in Toronto this July. After that, I am free to begin and will most likely start in August! I will take as long as I need, no definate return date set yet.

I am doing a solo adventure and hope to chat and laugh (and most likely cry) with new found friends along the way.

I have not yet booked flights but plan to do it from beginning to end starting in St. Jean Pied du Porte. I am so excited!

I am hoping that after retiring from my career of 31 years as a school principal, completing 3 years of care giving (most recently palliative care) for my dad, this journey will seem like a new beginning for me. At the very least, I hope to share a laugh or two with newly met people along the way.

I look forward to any advice form experienced and non experienced fellow peregrinos.

Buen Camino my friends!
Wish you welcome to this wonderful forum from this Dutchman . I'm on my way to Sjpdp in 14 day's . All the answers you seek, you can find here. Wish you a great experience and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.