• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My first time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jules, when are you going? Buen Camino. :)
I get into Biarritz on the 10th April. Then heading into Bayonne to catch the train to SJPDP where I'm going to spend the day and night before I start from there on the 12th April. I heard SJPDP was stunning so I thought I'd take it all in there before I take my first steps..

St Jean is a beautiful town with many good restaurants and lovely narrow side streets. We have visited many times over the years when we passed through. If the weather is good take the Little Yellow Train from near the Tourist Office, this will give you a good overview and then you can ramble about at your own pace and explore more closely.
Hopefully the Napoleon route will be open by then but if not the Valcarlos route is also very beautiful. See links below to discussions on the Valcarlos route.
Buen Camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-route.45235/#post-476221
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/route-napolean-versus-valcarlos.42975/#post-441703
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/#post-113568

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St Jean is a beautiful town with many good restaurants and lovely narrow side streets. We have visited many times over the years when we passed through. If the weather is good take the Little Yellow Train from near the Tourist Office, this will give you a good overview and then you can ramble about at your own pace and explore more closely.
Hopefully the Napoleon route will be open by then but if not the Valcarlos route is also very beautiful. See links below to discussions on the Valcarlos route.
Buen Camino.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-route.45235/#post-476221
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/route-napolean-versus-valcarlos.42975/#post-441703
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/#post-113568
Thank you. I've set my heart on the Napoleon Route and booked and paid the Orisson in case it gets packed, but I will take any advise seriously if its recommend that it's not safe ie fog, snow etc and will opt for the Valcarlos Route. The Camino will decide for me I'm sure....
Do you know if I'm in the orrison and wake to find the weather has changed for the worse, can I divert to the Valcarlos route or would I have to go back to SJPDP to start again on the Valcarlos?

From Orrison there is are nearby roads D428 and D933 which lead down towards the Valcarlos main road N135.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you. I've set my heart on the Napoleon Route and booked and paid the Orisson in case it gets packed, but I will take any advise seriously if its recommend that it's not safe ie fog, snow etc and will opt for the Valcarlos Route. The Camino will decide for me I'm sure....
Do you know if I'm in the orrison and wake to find the weather has changed for the worse, can I divert to the Valcarlos route or would I have to go back to SJPDP to start again on the Valcarlos?
If you get a chance to while in SJPdP stop by the pilgrim's office there. They will give you a route map for the first day over the Pyrenees, as well as a current list of the albergues all along the Frances with specs and telephone numbers. They will also give you an elevation chart and a map of SJPdP. They have the latest weather reports, and I am sure they will be able to tell you if the Napoleon route is doable when you are there. The volunteers in the office are very nice and gracious.

If you get a chance to while in SJPdP stop by the pilgrim's office there. They will give you a route map for the first day over the Pyrenees, as well as a current list of the albergues all along the Frances with specs and telephone numbers. They will also give you an elevation chart and a map of SJPdP. They have the latest weather reports, and I am sure they will be able to tell you if the Napoleon route is doable when you are there. The volunteers in the office are very nice and gracious.
Thanks Mark. I will do. I'll have most of the day in SJPDP so yes I'll call in there and get all the info I'll need.

Hi Jules, I left SJPDP the same date last year with the same worries due to snow on the top. I was advised by the pilgrim office that as I had booked Orrison best to walk up there and if the napoleon route wasn't open then as said before there are roads down to Valcarlos. As it was the Orisson people arranged for locals to cut steps into the one small section at the very top and the route was declared open.
So it was great going up and over the top with snow both sides and 30 friends all made at Orisson over dinner for company and support.
This year leaving Porto April 24th, so should have no snow issues.
See you in Santiago.
Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jules, I left SJPDP the same date last year with the same worries due to snow on the top. I was advised by the pilgrim office that as I had booked Orrison best to walk up there and if the napoleon route wasn't open then as said before there are roads down to Valcarlos. As it was the Orisson people arranged for locals to cut steps into the one small section at the very top and the route was declared open.
So it was great going up and over the top with snow both sides and 30 friends all made at Orisson over dinner for company and support.
This year leaving Porto April 24th, so should have no snow issues.
See you in Santiago.
Buen camino.
Thanks Stephen.
You've put my mind to rest.
I'll look out for you in Santiago. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.