• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My gear for the Norte/Primitivo

Woorey

Time of past OR future Camino
del Norte/Primitivo (Aug/Sept 2016)
Osprey Talon 44l pack
5° 750gm sleeping bag
Sea to Summit silk/cotton liner
Garmont boots
3 x socks
3 x jocks
2 x quick-dry shorts
3 x tech t-shirts
1 x wool long sleeve base layer
1 x micro fleece
poncho
micro towel
basic toiletries
basic First Aid items
hand-held mini LED torch
phone & charger (wife insists)
pocket camera (daughters insist)
No. 7 Opinel
fork/spoon
2 x 500ml water bottles
a couple of pieces of fruit added each day
guide book, pen & small notebook

I'm not sure of it's weight but I'm 1,90m and 95kg and have been tramping around Asturias and Galicia this last month and it's not broken or broken me yet.

Interested to hear your thoughts Davey and Don?

Woorey

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Woorey

First impressions pretty good!

Just a few thoughts, do you need both the light sleeping bag and the liner? Aug/Sept I would go with just the sleeping bag myself. Also, can you not take your photos on the phone?

Also, safety pins, very useful for hanging wet clothes on lines or sweaty/damp socks off your pack. Nappy type pins if you can get them.

What are your First Aid items and toiletries?

I'm sure others will chip in too

Buen Camino
Davey

Hi Woorey

First impressions pretty good!

Just a few thoughts, do you need both the light sleeping bag and the liner? Aug/Sept I would go with just the sleeping bag myself. Also, can you not take your photos on the phone?

Also, safety pins, very useful for hanging wet clothes on lines or sweaty/damp socks off your pack. Nappy type pins if you can get them.

What are your First Aid items and toiletries?

I'm sure others will chip in too

Buen Camino
Davey
I thought you'd want details...

6 x nappy pins
Hyperfix tape, Betadine, PawPaw balm, Compeed
Toothbrush/paste, soap for self & clothes, I don't want to shave but the girls are insisting I do so we'll see

I've been sleeping in the liner and using the bag as a pillow lately, very comfy, but if I sleep in the long sleeve base then I should be fine I suppose - I don't feel the cold as a rule. Just thought it might be handy on the Primitivo.

Thanks for keeping me honest Davey

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Any legs attached to those shorts? You don't say when you are walking.

I also don't se anything for the rain, not even an umbrella or backpack cover.

I thought you'd want details...

6 x nappy pins
Hyperfix tape, Betadine, PawPaw balm, Compeed
Toothbrush/paste, soap for self & clothes, I don't want to shave but the girls are insisting I do so we'll see

I've been sleeping in the liner and using the bag as a pillow lately, very comfy, but if I sleep in the long sleeve base then I should be fine I suppose - I don't feel the cold as a rule. Just thought it might be handy on the Primitivo.

Thanks for keeping me honest Davey

Sounds good to me.

Anemone, he lists a poncho, and is walking Sept/October.

Davey

Any legs attached to those shorts? You don't say when you are walking.

I also don't se anything for the rain, not even an umbrella or backpack cover.

Hi Anemone - my poncho is 3/4 length and fits neatly over my pack and it works for me. I'm leaving Irun 26th August.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Woorey, Looks good to me. The safety pins suggested by Davey are a good idea as they are also a quick fix for stuff you cannot sew up. The sleeping bag liner ? Whilst doing a test walk on the Kennet and Avon Canal last October (strictly speaking by the side of it rather than on it) I used a cotton liner plus my sleeping bag and bivvy. I was boiling hot which is why I abandoned the liner for my walk earlier this year. To be honest my sleeping bag was a little on the hot side then (April) and I could have got away with a 1 season one, but the money was spent and I just used it like a duvet instead of a bag.
It is though all about personal preference and if you have already been carrying the weight and are happy with it then stick with what you know.
Looks like you will be about 6 days ahead of me.

Woorey, Looks good to me. The safety pins suggested by Davey are a good idea as they are also a quick fix for stuff you cannot sew up. The sleeping bag liner ? Whilst doing a test walk on the Kennet and Avon Canal last October (strictly speaking by the side of it rather than on it) I used a cotton liner plus my sleeping bag and bivvy. I was boiling hot which is why I abandoned the liner for my walk earlier this year. To be honest my sleeping bag was a little on the hot side then (April) and I could have got away with a 1 season one, but the money was spent and I just used it like a duvet instead of a bag.
It is though all about personal preference and if you have already been carrying the weight and are happy with it then stick with what you know.
Looks like you will be about 6 days ahead of me.

Normally the liner is enough for me but with the light bag doubling as a pillow, the comfortable/restful night's sleep I get makes up for the 750gm bag weight. I've been using some blister prevention tape from Decathlon lately with success although my Garmonts are well worn in so hard to tell. Forgot to mention Ibuprofen and anti-histamines.

I'm getting a bit excited Don, buen Camino

Cheers,
Woorey

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back