• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Song for the Camino

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Yesterday was Bob Dylan's birthday number 74. He never walked the Camino and probably never will, Woodie Guthrie never walked and neither did Cisco Houston, Sonny Terry, or Huddie Ledbetter. The song still captures much of a certain spirit of theCamino. Happy Birthday Bob!!!
  • I'm out here a thousand miles from my home
    Walkin' a road other men have gone down
    I'm seein' your world of people and things
    Hear paupers and peasants and princes and kings

Hey, hey, Woody Guthrie, I wrote you a song
    'Bout a funny old world that's comin' along
    Seems sick and it's hungry, it's tired and it's torn
    It looks like it's dyin' and it's hardly been born

Hey, Woody Guthrie, but I know that you know
    All the things that I'm sayin' and many times more
    I'm singin' every song but I can't sing enough
    'Cause there's not many men done the things that you done

Here's to Cisco and Sonny and Leadbelly, too
    And to all the good people that traveled with you
    Here's to the hearts and the hands of the men
    That come with the dust and are gone with the wind

I'm a-leavin' tomorrow but I could leave today
    Somewhere down the road someday
    The very last thing that I'd want to do
    Is to say I'd been hittin' some hard travelin' too

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Love Dylan's music. Was trying to put some music on my mp3 player, so thanks for the suggestion.

I know it's referring to Santiago, Cuba, but in Compay Segundo's musical version of Federico Garcia Lorca's poem, Son de negros en Cuba, every other line is"Ire' a Santiago." It's got a rhythmic tune that makes you feel like dancing or maybe picking up your pace if you're walking.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I wrote my masters thesis on road imagery in Dylan, and he was central to my dissertation (about hobo imagery in 20th Century american literature, film, and song). I love that song. I could listen to it on repeat for hours. But it is early (the first song he wrote himself) and actually works against the ethos of how Dylan uses the road in the rest of his work......it's all about following someone else's road. The rest of Dylan's use of road imagery is usually about constant renewal and reinvention, which is how I, personally, think of the Camino.

I always think of Dylan on camino myself---Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Don't know why.

PS: Dylan is playing Donostia/San Sebastian July 11th. Would be a really, really nice way to celebrate finishing a Camino. His current tour is really good (just saw him in New Orleans---although people talked out loud and texted on cell phones the entire time so I wasn't able to enjoy it much, I'll be livid if that is my final memory of Dylan live)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the heads up on Dylan's birthday.
I just added "Shelter From The Storm" to the "Camino" folder on the mp3-player

Last edited:
I love listening to Dylan and had lots of music on my phone when we walked last year but only put my buds in a few times. Seems I had the music from the Godfather as Michael Corleone walked through the Italian countryside playing nonstop in my head. :)

I love listening to Dylan and had lots of music on my phone when we walked last year but only put my buds in a few times. Seems I had the music from the Godfather as Michael Corleone walked through the Italian countryside playing nonstop in my head. :)
(cotton in cheeks) "I'm gonna make you a Camino you can't refuse"

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wrote my masters thesis on road imagery in Dylan, and he was central to my dissertation (about hobo imagery in 20th Century american literature, film, and song). I love that song. I could listen to it on repeat for hours. But it is early (the first song he wrote himself) and actually works against the ethos of how Dylan uses the road in the rest of his work......it's all about following someone else's road. The rest of Dylan's use of road imagery is usually about constant renewal and reinvention, which is how I, personally, think of the Camino.

I always think of Dylan on camino myself---Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Don't know why.

PS: Dylan is playing Donostia/San Sebastian July 11th. Would be a really, really nice way to celebrate finishing a Camino. His current tour is really good (just saw him in New Orleans---although people talked out loud and texted on cell phones the entire time so I wasn't able to enjoy it much, I'll be livid if that is my final memory of Dylan live)
Love all the songs posted so far! I wonder sometimes if I should actually put my earpieces in, or if I would be missing out on something that has been put in my way on the Camino. While "training" here (walking up and down the waterfront with my backpack on four miles a day) I hum. "The Wanderer" is great, although at the 'Valderie, valdera, valderie valder-ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha' part I find myself startling people around me. Sorry. "Maybe God is Trying To Tell You Something" from The Color Purple picks up my pace, then I transition into "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater". I remember all the words from Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, so "Why Would A Fellow Want a Girl Like Her" eats up almost a half mile. Anything by Chicago is walk-worthy, "Saturday in the Park", "Spinning Wheel", and of course " 25 or 6 to 4". The Jukebox in the corner of my mind is full, so perhaps I will leave the earpieces behind and carry imaginary nickels.

Love all the songs posted so far! I wonder sometimes if I should actually put my earpieces in, or if I would be missing out on something that has been put in my way on the Camino. While "training" here (walking up and down the waterfront with my backpack on four miles a day) I hum. "The Wanderer" is great, although at the 'Valderie, valdera, valderie valder-ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha' part I find myself startling people around me. Sorry. "Maybe God is Trying To Tell You Something" from The Color Purple picks up my pace, then I transition into "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater". I remember all the words from Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, so "Why Would A Fellow Want a Girl Like Her" eats up almost a half mile. Anything by Chicago is walk-worthy, "Saturday in the Park", "Spinning Wheel", and of course " 25 or 6 to 4". The Jukebox in the corner of my mind is full, so perhaps I will leave the earpieces behind and carry imaginary nickels.
I spent a lot of time planning my playlist, then never listened to music once the entire camino. And I'm glad I didn't. But the music was always in my head (because of the training)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back