• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New guy finally and officially saying hi

Purky

Intermittent Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Reality is frequently inaccurate
As a long time lurker on this forum I find myself finally ready for an introduction of myself. Don’t really know why it took this long, and honestly it’s probably not that important, so let’s not dwell on that.
I’m Perry from the Netherlands and this year I started and finished my first Camino. It took me a while to prepare, mostly because I had to arrange time and money to undertake the trip.
The plan was as follows: end of march 2016 I was going to start walking from my home in Breda (which is in the south of Holland, just north of Antwerp in Belgium). The finish of this rather long walk was going to be Finisterre.

I almost made it. I officially ended my Camino in Santiago de Compostela, 87 days and 2500 kilometers later. I missed my wife, kids and family, plenty of good reasons to call it a day there.
But, as many of you here, I am far from done. Sometimes I feel I have just started. It’s not that I was especially drawn to the Camino the Santiago, but it’s the pilgrims way of life on the road that I have completely and utterly fallen in love with.
I’ve always been an avid traveller and I have seen more of my fair share of this beautiful globe we’re on, but to walk it like I have done recently changed me in ways I am still figuring out. I am a convert now. Hook, line and sinker.
So, I'm kind of drawn to this forum to keep my memories vivid, to get new ideas for future walks and generally keep myself immersed in this new idea I have of myself. I got to be a better version of myself because I walked this walk, and I want to keep it that way. Maybe even improve some more.

That's why I'll be walking the Pieterpad in Holland next summer (south to north, about 480 kilometers) together with my wife. And in the meantime seize every opportunity to get out there. Wind in my hair, rain on my face, silence and peace in my head.
And that is also why you'll see me pop up every now and then on this forum. Something will catch my eye and interest and maybe I can make a sensible, funny and/or intelligent comment. In any case: pleased to meet you!

Buen Camino,

Perry

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum community of Camino addicts and congratulations to your completed pilgrimage. Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the Forum, Perry - and what an amazing achievement, congratulations!

And this description:

Wind in my hair, rain on my face, silence and peace in my head.

... is one of the best summaries I have read of what it's like to walk the Camino - beautifully put!

Buen (many more) Caminos

Hola! Perry and Welcome.

What a journey you've completed. Congratulations. There is something about the simplicity of walking through a country that allows you to absorb and appreciate your surroundings and acknowledge its people. It is addictive.

Perhaps at some future time you might return to Santiago and walk to Muxia and Finisterre with your family and share some of your experience.

In the meantime, I look forward to your posts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Perry! Congratulations on your walk along the Camino! That's more than an impressive feather in your cap; well done!
And welcome to the forum, officially (since as you said, you have been an unofficial member, as a lurker, for a while)! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome!

Can you please say more about the Pieterpad? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieterpad isn't nearly enough, and the Dutch website looks interesting, but will require quite a lot of self-confidence to get through for a Norwegian-speaker...

Hi Heidi!

All I know about the Pieterpad is mostly on the English Wikipage you already linked. It is basically a string of nice walks that link Pieterburen, a small coastal village in the north of Holland to the Sint Pietersberg (our only mountain, 110 m high...) in the south. Hence the name Pieterpad (Pieter path), by the way. 492 kilometers, 26 stages.
The Pieterpad started as a labor of love, realised by two elderly ladies who decided that there just had to be a long distance hiking path in Holland, like there are in the rest of Europe. It is not an ancient route, once traveled by pilgrims or traders, it is more of a hobby that got a bit out of hand. Never underestimate elderly Dutch ladies...
The idea became a project and gained momentum, and it grew in popularity through the 30 odd years since it has been 'invented'. It is mainly so popular because the stages are usually around 20 kilometers long and every start- and endpoint is very accessible by public transport. So a lot of dayhikers, or weekendhikers. Doing it in one go is quite rare.
But the Pieterpad combines some of the best bits of the Netherlands and gives you a taste of all that Holland has to offer. Vast open (and windy) fields in the north, heather and forests in the middle and some charming undulating countryside (Yes! In Holland!) in the south. Plus some nice villages, towns and cities ofcourse.
I have done a few stages, mostly in the south, and it is very well waymarked. The two Dutch guides (one for the north part, the other for the south) contain self-explanatory maps and accommodation listings that are also useful for non-Dutch speakers. On the Pieterpad site are up to date accommodation listings in PDF format (part 1 for the north, part 2 for the south). This includes campsites, which is a good idea, because my budget doesn't allow a B&B or a hotel on a daily basis.
I hope this provides you with enough information. You can always contact me if you'd like to know more, or if you need a bit of translating.

Well, since you offered... What kind of price level are we talking about for the accommodation? Logies en ontbijt (bij particulier) translates as bed & breakfast; if we're paying €100 per night or €30 per night makes a bit of a difference in how far we're talking about walking this summer...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, since you offered... What kind of price level are we talking about for the accommodation? Logies en ontbijt (bij particulier) translates as bed & breakfast; if we're paying €100 per night or €30 per night makes a bit of a difference in how far we're talking about walking this summer...

B&B’s are not cheap here, but it pays to shop around. You’re gonna find that you were in fact spot on with your estimates. A night in a B&B ranges from 30 till 100 euros for two persons a night. I usually end up in the 50/60 euro range, a pretty standard rate these days, but since that is for weekends out with my wife, it's totally worth it.
Because I think my wife and I will need three weeks for the Pieterpad, I’ll bring the tent. It’s probably going to be one, maybe two B&B’s a week and we’ll camp out the rest of the time. As I said, plenty of campsites around, and you'll usually pay between 10 and 15 euros for two persons and a small tent. Leaves the rest of our budget for food and drinks.
So it's not going to be like the CF, where I had to really try hard to spend more than 30 euros a day. That's just not going to cut it in Holland. But since I'm playing tourist info as it is, why not walk a part of the Pieterpad and combine it with a week on the Eisleck Trail in Luxembourg and Belgium, a bit over 100 km south of Maastricht. I walked that one in 2015, a 104 km trail between Kautenbach (LU) and La Roche (BE) in the central Ardennes. A stunning hike.
Anyway, happy planning!

Hi Perry , welcome to this wonderful Camino family .
En bij deze nog gefeliciteerd met je tocht naar Santiago .
Wish you well ,Peter .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Perry , welcome to this wonderful Camino family .
En bij deze nog gefeliciteerd met je tocht naar Santiago .
Wish you well ,Peter .
Hoi Peter, dank voor je welkomstwoorden. Grappig om op dit forum ineens Nederlands te lezen. Die Hollanders zitten ook overal :D
Cheers, Perry

As a long time lurker on this forum I find myself finally ready for an introduction of myself. Don’t really know why it took this long, and honestly it’s probably not that important, so let’s not dwell on that.
I’m Perry from the Netherlands and this year I started and finished my first Camino. It took me a while to prepare, mostly because I had to arrange time and money to undertake the trip.
The plan was as follows: end of march 2016 I was going to start walking from my home in Breda (which is in the south of Holland, just north of Antwerp in Belgium). The finish of this rather long walk was going to be Finisterre.

I almost made it. I officially ended my Camino in Santiago de Compostela, 87 days and 2500 kilometers later. I missed my wife, kids and family, plenty of good reasons to call it a day there.
But, as many of you here, I am far from done. Sometimes I feel I have just started. It’s not that I was especially drawn to the Camino the Santiago, but it’s the pilgrims way of life on the road that I have completely and utterly fallen in love with.
I’ve always been an avid traveller and I have seen more of my fair share of this beautiful globe we’re on, but to walk it like I have done recently changed me in ways I am still figuring out. I am a convert now. Hook, line and sinker.
So, I'm kind of drawn to this forum to keep my memories vivid, to get new ideas for future walks and generally keep myself immersed in this new idea I have of myself. I got to be a better version of myself because I walked this walk, and I want to keep it that way. Maybe even improve some more.

That's why I'll be walking the Pieterpad in Holland next summer (south to north, about 480 kilometers) together with my wife. And in the meantime seize every opportunity to get out there. Wind in my hair, rain on my face, silence and peace in my head.
And that is also why you'll see me pop up every now and then on this forum. Something will catch my eye and interest and maybe I can make a sensible, funny and/or intelligent comment. In any case: pleased to meet you!

Buen Camino,

Perry
Hi Perry,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your achievement & best of luck with the Pieterpad in the summer.
Maybe next year you can take your wife to continue from Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia? It's a beautiful route & I think she'd enjoy it. I've done it 3 times, with a group, with a friend, & solo. I usually just do 'weekly trips' & this route was my favourite, hence the 3 times ☺ I'm sure your wife is curious? My husband was .... curious about my 'obsession' with the Camino, so we did the Sarria to Santiago route in 2020 (& he loved it@) & hopefully the Finisterre/Muxia route later this year.🤞 You explained so well about the feeling on the Camino. I think it's the combination of the freedom of the walk, the comraderie of other walkers & last but not least, the stunning scenery, & of course the friendly locals & delicious food! I mean, what's not to like? I'm sure you'll be back on 'the way' soon. This forum is contagious & has you packing your bags & reminiscing about earlier trips 😉 ... so, you'll definitely return some day. Keep in touch! 😇

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It’s a 2016 posting! Where are you @Purky ?
Still alive, and still kicking! I've been busy with a lot of other things (life keeps happening). And as I'm the type of guy who doesn't say anything if he has nothing to say, it's been quiet for you guys. But pilgrimages are still on my mind, daily. Maybe, if the planets align, I might have three weeks this summer on the VF, from Lucca to Rome. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I'm sure your wife is curious?
She was a bit curious, but alas, it turned out she is a hiker and I am more of a pilgrim (as I outlined in this post). But we have found ways to keep each other, and ourselves, happy when it comes to walking, hiking and vacationing in general.
Great fun to see my old introduction bumped up. Maybe I'll do another 'Live from the Camino' this summer, stay tuned!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Still alive, and still kicking! I've been busy with a lot of other things (life keeps happening). And as I'm the type of guy who doesn't say anything if he has nothing to say, it's been quiet for you guys. But pilgrimages are still on my mind, daily. Maybe, if the planets align, I might have three weeks this summer on the VF, from Lucca to Rome. Fingers crossed!
I hope so Purky! After everything that's happened the last two years, a walk on any Camino, for any distance, will surely 'lift the soul"! And just imagine all the souls you would be 'lifting & enticing' with your 'live' commentary! As Mrs Doyle would say "Go o, go on, go on"! Buen Camino Purky ... it's time! 'May the road rise to meet you ....' 🥰👣😇

She was a bit curious, but alas, it turned out she is a hiker and I am more of a pilgrim (as I outlined in this post). But we have found ways to keep each other, and ourselves, happy when it comes to walking, hiking and vacationing in general.
Great fun to see my old introduction bumped up. Maybe I'll do another 'Live from the Camino' this summer, stay tuned!
Good to see your evocative avatar, Purky! Staying tuned.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back