• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

New phone number - SIM Card for Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionHeart7

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
Hi,

I would like to ask you if you can help me with an opinion about SIM Card for my Camino.

I intend to use a Spanish phone number to call the albergues, or make a reservation and maybe to call to my new Camino friend

Can you tell me which Network is the best in Spain for https://www.caminolebaniego.com/inicio ?

Looking forward for your help

Lionheart7

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Moviestar has top coverage. But if you are not walking the Primitivo, or some other remote places, would say Orange, Vodaphone... are good.

I use Tuenti when I am in Spain, not only they offer cheap prepaid / no contract bundle - 7 euros for 1 Gb + 50 minutes talk in Spain and some other countries + 200 sms - but they have same coverage than Moviestar as they are using same network.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I have some related questions about phone use in Spain; they will display my great tech ignorance. I have an iPhone 6, and at home in the US I use AT&T. My two year contract with them has expired (during which it is illegal to unlock the phone to change the SIM card). Can I now easily unlock the phone, and get a SIM card to use in Spain? Will that still give me access to all the apps I use at home? How do I do these things? (My previous phone was an iPhone3GS, and AT&T gave me the worst runaround imaginable when I asked them to unlock it for me after the contract expired.)

When my Verizon contract expired I asked to unlock my iPhone 4S and they did it right then. No questions asked. I bought a Orange sim in Spain and still have it, topping it off with $5 every year. Plan on using it when I return in Sept 17

Can I now easily unlock the phone, and get a SIM card to use in Spain? Will that still give me access to all the apps I use at home? How do I do these things?
Unlocking the phone just means that they enter some code to cancel a code that made it so your phone only worked with their system. They should unlock it now, although there could be a fee.

All your apps will continue to work as before, even when you insert a new SIM card. Only your phone number will change.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've got an iPhone 5s with a pretty messed up screen. ATT service, but month to month at this point. I don't understand what happens when I take the phone (or maybe a newer phone by my September Camino). Will I have to pay my $62/month American bill plus whatever plan I choose in Spain? Do people/can we put our home plans on "hold" while gone or...? What's best?

Thank you for your tips.
So Tuenti is a Spanish network, prepaid.

I forgot to mention but prepaid is the only option for me.

Another question: When you buy a new phone number (new sim card) is there a need to show my id?
Foreigners are allowed to buy a new number?

Lionheart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum