• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cariburk

Hello, I will be walking the camino starting the 1st of september. I will only have 2 weeks to do this as that is all my job will allow for time off at one time. I want to walk the last half or so of the walk. Where is the best place to start given my timeline? I was also thinking of bicycling the way as well, thinking I could do the entire way in 2 weeks if I were on bicycle. Anyone out there done this on bicycle? I appreciate any positive feed back. Thank you in advance
Cari

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Cari and welcome to the forum. You will find the search function really useful and it will help you find answers to both your questions above and many more beside.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi cariburk
Welcome to the forum
You will receive many and varied responses to many questions here.
If you are flying from overseas to Spain, this may read that you have fewer walking days available than 2 weeks?
Also jet lag to think of. But assuming you are flying in, I wouldn't want to spend some of those days getting to my starting point, so you could think of walking the Camino Portuguese, starting at Oporto and walk all the way to Sdc in Spain. Approx 10 days walk, (mas o memos). If you do well you would have time up your sleeve in Sdc to soak it up and if you want, to bus out to Finisterre and/or Muxia. Lovely.

Or maybe Astorga to Sdc but not sure of flights there.

Lots of people bike the camino. Heaps

Whichever you decide , wow!! Lucky you
Buen camino
Annie

Hi cariburk
Welcome to the forum
You will receive many and varied responses to many questions here.
If you are flying from overseas to Spain, this may read that you have fewer walking days available than 2 weeks?
Also jet lag to think of. But assuming you are flying in, I wouldn't want to spend some of those days getting to my starting point, so you could think of walking the Camino Portuguese, starting at Oporto and walk all the way to Sdc in Spain. Approx 10 days walk, (mas o memos). If you do well you would have time up your sleeve in Sdc to soak it up and if you want, to bus out to Finisterre and/or Muxia. Lovely.

Or maybe Astorga to Sdc but not sure of flights there.

Lots of people bike the camino. Heaps

Whichever you decide , wow!! Lucky you
Buen camino
Annie
Hello Annie, thank you so much for your reply, I will definitely check out starting at Oporto. I am flying in from the USA, so where should I fly into to start at Oporto?

Hi cariburk
I can't answer exactly, as depends on where in USA you fly out of. Using the 'Rome to rio' site on web there are direct flights from NY to Porto. Approx 7 hrs.
When you decide where you want to start try loading your entry point in to see how your connections may be

Keep researching though. When do you leave?
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back again cariburk
Actually that connection in just mentioned goes from Newark . (To me that looks close to NY)
Also see you are leaving on 1st sept. So you will have plenty of time to research best way to get the most out of it.

I'm going to be on camino in sept oct too!!!! Can't wait

Back again cariburk
Actually that connection in just mentioned goes from Newark . (To me that looks close to NY)
Also see you are leaving on 1st sept. So you will have plenty of time to research best way to get the most out of it.

I'm going to be on camino in sept oct too!!!! Can't wait
Thank you OzAnnie, I am getting excited! Most likely be flying out of Seattle Washington. I am just starting to plan the trip. Lot's to learn! Have you walked the Camino before?

Yes. My first was the Portuguese and loved it in 2012 so I went back for the sjpdp to SdC (the Frances ) last August/sep. I had some leg problems mid way , but took it slower then . Like you that time I only had a certain time off work (I had 5.5 wks) but wanted to do everything. It takes a bit to take in that you truly do have to take it at your own pace
I see people here on forum who have done so many caminos are first to admit they/we are always learning. That's life

Do check out advice from forum above to use the forums unbelievable info. Just go to menu. And use search. Type in a key word/s and it will bring up threads connected with that. Also has separate areas for different routes

Check into best backpack for you and keep your load light (that means also don't get a monster pack) get expert advice and same goes for whatever footwear is your preference. Check out threads on all these subjects.

Start walking to break these in soon

I'm heading back for 3rd walk sept but still choosing which route this time
Also find out where closest Camino/pilgrim group is in your area if you are interested in that sort of thing. Actually I am right now heading to the Sydney pilgrim meeting today. They meet monthly here

Although I've walked on Peru and Nepal (nothing huge though , only groupl led stuff) I cannot stop thinking of Spain/France and the walk on Camino.
You will find out the camaraderie is wonderful. The people really impact on the way you think thereafter

I'll be interested in what your final choice will be as what I have seen on this forum can sometimes be 50 different responses but all good so the choice will be hard.
Annie

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Thank you so much for all you wonderful advice and help. Are you in Australia? I will for sure check out all the forum has to offer, and to see if there are any camino groups near me. I would like to stay in touch with you and keep each other posted on our planning process

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Yes Cariburk Very pleased to keep your contact. I will send you a pm with my email address also
Happy to share anything I have picked up along the way. Today was like that at our pilgrim group meeting. New people and regulars It was a great day today. Annie

Yes Cariburk Very pleased to keep your contact. I will send you a pm with my email address also
Happy to share anything I have picked up along the way. Today was like that at our pilgrim group meeting. New people and regulars It was a great day today. Annie
Hey Annie, thank so much , I will look for your message. It is always great to make new friends!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Gay, I’m new to the forum as I’m walking my first Camino, the Camino Ingles beginning the 20th of June 2024 and wondering if there are any AA meetings along that route
Hi walking the Norte starting in late August. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has/is starting in August.
Hi, I’m new to the group as I’m finally hiking my first El Camino this month, El Camino Ingles, beginning June 21, 2024
Hello, my name is Wendy and I walked the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to walk the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon to Santiago beginning September 7, 2024, in honor of my...
Hello! I and my friend Cecilia will walk Camino Ingles with start 4th of October. We are so excited to our first but not last Camino. Buen Camino to all of you.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.