• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

next wednesday

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
the flights we are wanting will be available for purchase! Decision will be made. It's given me the jitters. I have never gone away without my hubby for two months before. Never left my kids except to stay in hospital with their other siblings having surgery. Even now I can hardly believe hubby is encouraging us to go. Next week I will believe it. And the eldest of the little kids I'll be taking will finally be delighted - we have told them not to say anything to anyone about this trip until it is definite. Recently he mentioned that he's almost bursting with the excitement and no-one knows coz he can't share yet.
In eleven months it will all be over!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A couple of last minute issues to consider from someone who did this in April / May this year:

1. Did you notify your bank(s) that you will be in Spain for two months, and that your credit or debit/cash card will be with you? You need to do that, or you will find your cards blocked...bummer!

2. The best way to get cash when there is from bank ATMs - not cafe ATMs! You will find yourself topping up every four or five days. You will figure it out. But, ATM / cash point machines are generally available.

3. Do your plastic cards use a 4-number PIN? That is they only sort recognized there. You do not want your cards eaten my the machines.

4. Do NOT forget a lightweight, poly fleece or microfiber watch cap type hat and liner gloves. They insulate even when wet, dry fast and you WILL need them for cold, blustry days. The "Buff" is very popular but expensive to buy in Spain. It is a simple microfiber fabric tube in assorted colors and designs about 50 cm long and 20 cm wide. It can be worn as a cap, hairband, scarf, neck warmer, and other styles. A good outdoors store in NZ should carry them. But a simple stretchy cap and gloves from a runner's store would work - that is what I used. Most people think about the fleece for the torso, or rain gear in general. But many people neglect to protect heir hands and head.

5. First Aid kits - everyone is different. But in my experience, the things you will use the most are:
- zinc oxide based antibiotic ointment (like used for baby nappy rash) - the zinc oxide helps it withstand friction and moisture better on your feet;
- gauze pads - about 10 x 15 cm (ish) - for blister protection and wound treatment.
- light panty liners - yes I am a guy - but these are the best heel and ball of foot pads to place over a blister or healing callus - they pack small and weigh like nothing - so bring six or so;
- medical adhesive tape (3 - 6 cm wide) that can hold the gauze pads on, strap your feet for support, or even mend torn fabric or broken stuff in general;
- petroleum jelly - to lubricate feet each day before putting the inner liner sock on - most folks swear by this - a little goes a LONG way;
- Halls' Mentholyptus or Fisherman's Friend lozenges for the inevitable chest congestion and bronchial "ick" that you might encounter - You can find Hall's in supermarkets but no one seemed to sell Fisherman's Friend (I prefer them);
- Acetominophen / Paramecetol tablets - or the pain reliever of your choice. if you KNOW you are going to have aches and pains while you walk (I did my first Camino at age 59) take two with what passes for breakfast - before you start walking for the day - it does make a difference,
- Immodium or what you use for diarreha - I drank tap water and fuente (fountain) water for my entire Camino and did not have any problems.
- pre-threaded needles with white thread to lance and drain blisters - these are single use items
- a small cigarette lighter (buy it in Spain) to sterlize anything that will puncture your skin. I had to do "field-expedient" surgery on a colleague's infected boil (insect bite) - we lanced it using a flame sterilized Swiss Army Knife - it was ugly to look at but the patient was fine the next day.

Bottom line - do not pack a bunch of stuff you likely will not need. Weight is your enemy! Pharmacies are in almost every village and Spanish pharmacists can dispense drugs like antibiotics that require prescriptions here in the States.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Hi, kiwi-mama,

One step closer! What is your exact departure date and your expected arrival date in Santiago? Maybe the stars will align and we will be able to meet up next year! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
peregrina2000 said:
Hi, kiwi-mama,

One step closer! What is your exact departure date and your expected arrival date in Santiago? Maybe the stars will align and we will be able to meet up next year! Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie
It would be lovely to meet you - especially after all the advice you have given me. I can give departure date easily enough, but arrival in Santiago not so easily. We have jotted down a possible plan, a worst-case-scenario, keeping days largely below 20km - but I harbour secret hopes that we would manage more and make it to Santiago with a week or so up our sleeves to do other things (walk out to the coast or hang around Barcelona depending on how we feel at the time)
Plan looks something like this:
29 April leave Auckland
30 April arrive Barcelona
1 May bus to Pamplona and start heading for Bayonne on the Baztan, then Voie de la Nive to St Jean then back to Pamplona on the Frances by 14 May (where daddy and little girls will join me and the two boys) We're allowing a month to get to Leon, but it's fluid! Worst case scenario, by.....
14 June Camino del Salvador
22 June Camino Primitivo (doing the Lugo/Friol/Sobrado/Melide route)
Jul 10 = Santiago (with three extra emergency days up our sleeve - so maybe July 13 if everything has turned to custard - or end of June if we did well - you just don't know how the 8year old will manage!)
So have you chosen your next route?

Hi, Rachel,
Looks like you will be arriving in Santiago later than I'm usually able to schedule. Your route sounds really wonderful. Will the whole family be walking from Pamplona or are the girls and dad just staying for a segment of youre route?

I don't know yet about next year. I try to leave the camino dreaming till the doldrums of winter here in the Midwest US, but of course that's hard. Maybe Catalan, maybe Camino Olvidado, but I will be wide open for suggestions when the time comes. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, you'll probably overtake us somewhere en route!
Rob, my husband, is currently negotiating with his employer and bank account how long he will be with us - probably just on two weeks. When he heads back to NZ, I'll keep the four youngest kids - the four big ones will merely follow the blog. The eldest two (18 & 19) will be at university and the next two (15 and 16 years) will continue their studies at home - they're all insisting we blog daily!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back