A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Luggage Storage in Santiago

Advertisement

French rail strike ending next week?

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino Angel
Camino(s) past & future
A few times, but soon again I hope....
The current French rail strike is scheduled to end next week, on the 28th I believe. To the forum members who are a better judge of the matter, does this sound like it is going to happen, or is there talk of it continuing? I have not found too much on the subject in the news.

Advertisment

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
No, the rail strikes will not be ending next week.

1 of the 3 main rail unions has voted to end their strike action, whilst the other 2 have voted to continue it.

But it is very likely that there will be continuing strike action in both July and August.

Nevertheless, it's likely too that there will be fewer strike days than during the past three months.

The 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 11th July are quite likely to be strike days.

tominrm

Hiking to Celebrate the End of Working Life.
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2014)
del Norte ( 2015)
Portuguese ( 2016)
Primitivo ( 2017)
VdlP (2018)
French railroad strike..... is it a weekly or monthly event now..? I thought it is an annual event.
I was in France early June, and there was a two-day strike. I did not know about the strike before I got to France and was stranded in a small city for a day.

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
French railroad strike..... is it a weekly or monthly event now..? I thought it is an annual event.
I was in France early June, and there was a two-day strike. I did not know about the strike before I got to France and was stranded in a small city for a day.
From the trainline website: "SNCF has announced a new type of alternating strike... Two days out of five will be affected, starting on the 3rd of April 2018 and lasting until the 28th of June 2018 (3 months)."

According to my French friends it's been a nightmare - 3 months is a long time without reliable transport. In other news, the air traffic controllers are striking in the south of France at the moment so many flights have been cancelled (it's meant to end today, 24 June, but who knows?)

Advertisment

pelerine

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Norte, Primitivo, Plata, Salvador Torres
No, the rail strikes will not be ending next week.

1 of the 3 main rail unions has voted to end their strike action, whilst the other 2 have voted to continue it.

But it is very likely that there will be continuing strike action in both July and August.

Nevertheless, it's likely too that there will be fewer strike days than during the past three months.

The 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 11th July are quite likely to be strike days.
This is what is said in the French radio and tv news.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino Angel
Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping they had come to a reasonable resolution by now.
Looks like I will be avoiding travel through France this summer on my way to the Camino.

Last edited:

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino Angel
Camino(s) past & future

trecile

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Thanks for that. I am cautiously optimistic and my plans were to start mid-July. I may just fly in to Madrid anyway, and bypass France completely.
There will very likely be other strike days in July, they just haven't been announced yet.

Take note, the 6th July is a potential Portugal-France quarter-final match day at the World Cup, so those two strike days are likely to be particularly bad, if France qualifies for it.

Mike Putman

Pilgrim_Traveler
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Planning CF Sept 2018
My spouse and I sure hope things settle down by Sept when we head out. We were planning n train from Paris to St Jean. I guess we will just trust to the Camino to get us there.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 156 26.1%
  • June