• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French rail strike ending next week?

RJM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino's Frances, Fisterre, Portuges. Over 180 day
The current French rail strike is scheduled to end next week, on the 28th I believe. To the forum members who are a better judge of the matter, does this sound like it is going to happen, or is there talk of it continuing? I have not found too much on the subject in the news.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
According to the French rail website SNCF, all the trains from now until the end of June will run on time with no disruptions. The key phrase here is "end of June."

Fingers crossed for July! :)

No, the rail strikes will not be ending next week.

1 of the 3 main rail unions has voted to end their strike action, whilst the other 2 have voted to continue it.

But it is very likely that there will be continuing strike action in both July and August.

Nevertheless, it's likely too that there will be fewer strike days than during the past three months.

The 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 11th July are quite likely to be strike days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
French railroad strike..... is it a weekly or monthly event now..? I thought it is an annual event.
I was in France early June, and there was a two-day strike. I did not know about the strike before I got to France and was stranded in a small city for a day.

French railroad strike..... is it a weekly or monthly event now..? I thought it is an annual event.
I was in France early June, and there was a two-day strike. I did not know about the strike before I got to France and was stranded in a small city for a day.

From the trainline website: "SNCF has announced a new type of alternating strike... Two days out of five will be affected, starting on the 3rd of April 2018 and lasting until the 28th of June 2018 (3 months)."

According to my French friends it's been a nightmare - 3 months is a long time without reliable transport. In other news, the air traffic controllers are striking in the south of France at the moment so many flights have been cancelled (it's meant to end today, 24 June, but who knows?)

No, the rail strikes will not be ending next week.

1 of the 3 main rail unions has voted to end their strike action, whilst the other 2 have voted to continue it.

But it is very likely that there will be continuing strike action in both July and August.

Nevertheless, it's likely too that there will be fewer strike days than during the past three months.

The 2nd, 6th, 7th, and 11th July are quite likely to be strike days.
This is what is said in the French radio and tv news.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping they had come to a reasonable resolution by now.
Looks like I will be avoiding travel through France this summer on my way to the Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for that. I am cautiously optimistic and my plans were to start mid-July. I may just fly in to Madrid anyway, and bypass France completely.

There will very likely be other strike days in July, they just haven't been announced yet.

Take note, the 6th July is a potential Portugal-France quarter-final match day at the World Cup, so those two strike days are likely to be particularly bad, if France qualifies for it.

My spouse and I sure hope things settle down by Sept when we head out. We were planning n train from Paris to St Jean. I guess we will just trust to the Camino to get us there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.