• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte 2023 in pictures (8min)

Madis

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata, Mar/Apr 2024
Norte 2023 was the first time I actually put some training into Camino. I walked a lot of stairs at home, a lot.

First week in Spain was mountains and mud. After that it was pratically all asphalt. I took as many coastline alternatives as I could.:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for video
Can you mention the coastline alts you took to avoid asphalt? What days were asphalt?Thank you

Ever since you rech Bilbao its pretty much all asphalt. I used Buen Camino app to know what the road surface for certain stretches are.

The shortest routes on Norte (after Bilbao) are usually highway style roadwalks. The deeper you get into Asturias region, the more you get oceanside natural terrain alternatives.

You can expect 90% of Norte to be asphalt (after Bilbao). Get comfortable sneakers with lots of padding. Irun to Bilbao takes just a week. There you will not be a huge fan of sneakers but its manageable. People can do those mountains even in sandals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
fantastic pictures, marvelous video, the camino del norte in less than 10 minutes, THX very much
gives a good idea for people who want to do it, and a nice souvenir for those who walked it

fantastic pictures, marvelous video, the camino del norte in less than 10 minutes, THX very much
gives a good idea for people who want to do it, and a nice souvenir for those who walked it
I am also building up a playlist of Youtube shorts of Norte 2023. I think I have them all done quite fast.

Just throwing together raw video footage of under 1 min for each day of the Norte. This should give an especially authentic secondhand experience:

Last edited:
Norte 2023 was the first time I actually put some training into Camino. I walked a lot of stairs at home, a lot.

First week in Spain was mountains and mud. After that it was pratically all asphalt. I took as many coastline alternatives as I could.:
Thanks for sharing. You certainly put in some long days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello. This is an authentic travel experience! It sounds like you really enjoyed the moments and the nature around you. I wonder how many kilometers you walked this time? I also love taking the stairs as a pre-trip workout - it's a great way to prepare your legs for long walks. Choosing coastlines sounds like an amazing adventure! What were your favorite places or views you encountered along the way?
Best part in my opinion was Asturias region starting from Muros de Nalon. From there the Norte has a lot of natural terrain walking.

Everything between Bilbao to Aviles was asphalt pretty much, but it makes sense if weather is not so good. Was not a huge fan of the asphalt. Therefore I recommend comfortable footwear.

From Irun to Santiago it took me 850km. After this I felt like it was enough, so to Finisterre I took a bus.

Most read last week in this forum

Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back