• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte from Santander

@Ditts

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to Santiago.
April 2023
Hi and thanks in advance for advice.
I did the CF last year and this year am hoping to do the Norte from Santander ( catching the ferry from Plymouth) and then joining up with the primitivo.
One question, I hear walking out of Santander is not brilliant, is there somewhere that I can start from near to it and catch a bus/ train too cheaply? I’m not hugely keen on tarmac, I’m sure I’m not the only one?
Second question. I don’t really have a huge desire to go to Santiago again, too busy for me, where is a good place on the primitivo to get off it or maybe go straight to muxia or something? I have about a month to do all this bar about 4 days for travel by ferry.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's an absolutely stunning coastal variant from Santander to Boo de Pielagos, one of the highlights of the whole Norte for me. The path is a bit rugged in a few places, and it's quite a long one, but you can cut it a bit short by walking through the city of Santander to the northern coast and following the path from there. Pack a lot of water though, not many places to refill your bottles.
Michal

There's an absolutely stunning coastal variant from Santander to Boo de Pielagos, one of the highlights of the whole Norte for me. The path is a bit rugged in a few places, and it's quite a long one, but you can cut it a bit short by walking through the city of Santander to the northern coast and following the path from there. Pack a lot of water though, not many places to refill your bottles.
Michal
Sounds good. Thank you. Will investigate

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The lovely family run donativo, 8km or so out of Santander, in Santa Cruz seems to be closed now, a shame.. I had two wonderful stays there..

If you want to stop short of Santiago, then Lugo would be a good place. It's a beautiful walled city with lots to see, and with good transport options for further travel. Beyond it, towards Melide, there is a fair amount of asphalt and of course, beyond that, a lot more pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've never actually stayed in Santander. I take the ferry and then just walk straight through it. I tend to walk until Boo. I think that's what it's called (de Pielagos). The walk is not so pretty, but whatever. Nice albergue there. The lady can be grouchy, But always a good time had for all.

I took the coastal variant from Santander to Boo, July ‘22. Agree with Michal it was a wonderful experience! Strongly recommend it. Much of the way is not well marked, gps navigation earned its keep.
Buen Camino!

I took the coastal variant from Santander to Boo, July ‘22. Agree with Michal it was a wonderful experience! Strongly recommend it. Much of the way is not well marked, gps navigation earned its keep.
Buen Camino!
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.