• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Norte or Norte/Primitivo

ChuckM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017), Camino Norte (2019)
In June 2019 will be going on my second Camino. Our plan is to start in Bilbao on the Norte. Hoping I can get input on if we should just stick with the Norte all the way or cut down onto the Primitivo? Also any advice or recommendations on places to stay, eat, etc. would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Either way is great, no worries, you can decide as you go! I would however, never miss the Valdediós monastery as the place where the two ways split, to the right along the coast, and to the left to Oviedo.
You can also go to Oviedo, and then walk to Avilés, it is only a bit longer, you miss industrial Gijón and you see gorgeous Oviedo city!

Either way is great, no worries, you can decide as you go! I would however, never miss the Valdediós monastery as the place where the two ways split, to the right along the coast, and to the left to Oviedo.
You can also go to Oviedo, and then walk to Avilés, it is only a bit longer, you miss industrial Gijón and you see gorgeous Oviedo city!
Thank you Amancio for the input. I'm leaning toward connecting to the Primitivo. I believe that way is a little shorter as we have a little bit of a time issue. As I will be 65 when I do this which way would you say is easier?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In June 2019 will be going on my second Camino. Our plan is to start in Bilbao on the Norte. Hoping I can get input on if we should just stick with the Norte all the way or cut down onto the Primitivo? Also any advice or recommendations on places to stay, eat, etc. would be most helpful and greatly appreciated.

Chuck

We walked the Norte from the start on the French/Spanish border in Irun then cut down and did the Primitivo from Oviedo. The Primitivo was incredible.We did it in Autum so the colors were incredible. Great walking. Some good hills. Doing both was perfect I think. May go back and complete rest of Norte one day. Send me your email. You will see our journey on Facebook. What ever you do it will be fun. Picking our next one now. Number 5.

Thank you Amancio for the input. I'm leaning toward connecting to the Primitivo. I believe that way is a little shorter as we have a little bit of a time issue. As I will be 65 when I do this which way would you say is easier?

Good question... I would say the Primitivo has more hills at the first 2/3 of the route, whereas the Norte has a couple of mountain stages in Galicia too. Just follow your heart, you will not go wrong in either case! I am not sure, though, the Primitivo is necessarily a shorter, quicker option...

Chuck

We walked the Norte from the start on the French/Spanish border in Irun then cut down and did the Primitivo from Oviedo. The Primitivo was incredible.We did it in Autum so the colors were incredible. Great walking. Some good hills. Doing both was perfect I think. May go back and complete rest of Norte one day. Send me your email. You will see our journey on Facebook. What ever you do it will be fun. Picking our next one now. Number 5.
Thanks for responding.
Chuck

Thanks for responding. I will send you my email. Wow, #5?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Norte/Primitivo in mid April and May 2016 beginning in San Sabastian, then turned onto the Primitivo at Oviedo. I combined the two routes as together they provided such an interesting variety of scenery. I loved them both.

I have done both ways. You can't make a wrong decision! Both ere wonderful.
Maybe wait until you get to the split and decide?
Saying goodbyes!
Buen camino

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
I agree you should see Valdedios, which is just after the split in the direction of Oviedo (well-marked). I also advise you to take the low route to the monastery along the floor of the valley, rather than heading up to the main road) as it is much more pleasant.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We also did the split to Primitivo last fall. Loved the Valdedios valley and Oviedo and Lugo as well. Very recommedable choice.

Most read last week in this forum

If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....
please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.