• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"NOt to be missed" Towns - Le Puy?

kmrice

Time of past OR future Camino
Podiensis 2016, Via Francigena 2018, '19, '22, '23
I'm roughing out my plans for a Le Puy Camino. Any towns or cities I should be sure to stop at? Any I should consider spending an extra day in? I needed an extra day for the cathedrals in Burgos and Leon when I walked from SJPdP to Santiago last fall; any towns or cities you would recommend I plan extra time for on the Le Puy route?

Karl

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Of course Conques but also Saint Cirq Lapopie! Voted the most beautiful village in France. Do the Cele Valley route to get there - and visit the prehistoric cave paintings at Peche Merle which is at the end of the Cele.

There are lots of very lovely towns and villages on this route; I love the river towns - St Come d'Olt, Espalion, Estaing, Figeac, Cahors, Moissac, Condom. But there are also beautiful non river towns too - Lauzerte is a treasure.

The only places I stayed more than a night were Cahors and Moissac.

I'm very jealous.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just been to Conques. It depends what you want to do there, it's very small. But I went to Vespers, Compline and Mass in the Abbey. After Compline there is a Pilgrim Blessing which was very moving. Also we paid six euros to go up and wander round the gallery at 9pm while the organ was playing and the lighting was varied. Very atmospheric!

P.S. we spent an extra day in Nasbinals. Don't do that..

If you're in Conques from 5 pm on you don't need to spend an extra day there. A overnight in Saint Cirq suffices as well.

Figeac is worth exploring and has some street life. I took a day off there and took the train round trip to Rocamadour for a day of sightseeing. That way I had a day off but had lots to entertain myself. (Warning: It also involves a few kilometers of walking from the train station to and from the site.)

Much as I love this route, there are few places to single out. You could rest a day in many of them, though I'm hard pressed to say one merits a stationary day. Exploring Cahors might prove worthwhile, though at first glance it's less than charming and has just one historic quarter.

Maybe just do a very small stage or two. Arrive early and relish your afternoon sitting quietly enjoying the views from Lectoure or the garden of the gite Le Camp d'Etoile in Condom.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to all for your advice. It sounds like a great Camino.

Karl

Conques is nice, but there is one fairy tale town after another out there.

lp1.JPG lp2.JPG lp3.JPG lp4.JPG lp5.JPG

upload_2014-6-16_18-41-30.pngMoissac
upload_2014-6-16_18-42-20.pngSaint-Cirq-Lapopie
upload_2014-6-16_18-42-49.pngConques

Attachments

• upload_2014-6-16_18-42-12.png
    upload_2014-6-16_18-42-12.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 5
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Beautiful photos folks! It is indeed a lovely route.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Luy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back