• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oct 7 by way of Valcarlos

Bala

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015, 2018, 2022
Less than two months until we're on the camino. Time to get on the calendar! :) :) My husband and I will start from St. Jean the morning of Oct. 7, after a night at Pension Corazon. We're taking the Valcarlos route and plan to walk as far as the next 14 nights will take us -- hopefully Burgos, but who knows? It will be on to Santiago sometime in 2016.

We're from southeast PA in the states, have traveled extensively (and lived) around the world -- and have never done anything even REMOTELY like hike with a pack on our backs. :eek: Breaking out of that comfort zone. :D

When I first introduced myself on this thread (two years ago, wow) there were only about a dozen or so previous posts. Now look at the Class of 2015 -- over a thousand posts and still going strong.

Buen Camino to everyone in the Class of 2015. Many are already "old pros" by now! I hope it was all you wished for. And for all of us still preparing, safe travels on our journeys!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen Camino to you both Bala, the Valcarlos route is beautiful IMO, if the weather is inclement I would stay on the road after Valcarlos as the track off the road plunges down a ravine and back up again, this can be pretty strenous if its wet and muddy. This track cuts out loops in the road so if you stay on the road its easier but slightly longer.
Enjoy every step.

Buen Camino to you both Bala, the Valcarlos route is beautiful IMO, if the weather is inclement I would stay on the road after Valcarlos as the track off the road plunges down a ravine and back up again, this can be pretty strenous if its wet and muddy. This track cuts out loops in the road so if you stay on the road its easier but slightly longer.
Enjoy every step.

Thanks for the advice, Wayfarer. Forewarned is forearmed. :)

Less than two months until we're on the camino. Time to get on the calendar! :) :) My husband and I will start from St. Jean the morning of Oct. 7, after a night at Pension Corazon. We're taking the Valcarlos route and plan to walk as far as the next 14 nights will take us -- hopefully Burgos, but who knows? It will be on to Santiago sometime in 2016.

We're from southeast PA in the states, have traveled extensively (and lived) around the world -- and have never done anything even REMOTELY like hike with a pack on our backs. :eek: Breaking out of that comfort zone. :D

When I first introduced myself on this thread (two years ago, wow) there were only about a dozen or so previous posts. Now look at the Class of 2015 -- over a thousand posts and still going strong.

Buen Camino to everyone in the Class of 2015. Many are already "old pros" by now! I hope it was all you wished for. And for all of us still preparing, safe travels on our journeys!
Hi Bala, wish you both a wonderful journey. The distance to Burgos is about 300 km. that is duable in 14 day's. And I wish you both a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Bala, wish you both a wonderful journey. The distance to Burgos is about 300 km. that is duable in 14 day's. And I wish you both a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thank you! It sounded so doable when we first started planning, but the closer it gets the more I feel like, "What on earth are we thinking!" I have confidence it will all work out, though. So many others have done it in the same time (or less). This forum is the best. :)

Hi Bala, Walk as far as you can in the 14 days you have, then catch a bus or taxi into Burgos! It's NOT cheating!!!
BTW, I'm going to be a day behind you staying with Istvan & Barbara on the 7th, and start walking to Valcarlos the morning of the 8th. I walked the lower route last year, and that first day was fabulous!! I may follow Wayfarer's advice (even in nice weather) and stay on the highway after Valcarlos - even if it's longer. In 2013 I went over the Napoleon, and it was fabulous as well!!
A VERY Buen Camino to you and your husband!!
Terry

Hi Bala, Walk as far as you can in the 14 days you have, then catch a bus or taxi into Burgos! It's NOT cheating!!!
BTW, I'm going to be a day behind you staying with Istvan & Barbara on the 7th, and start walking to Valcarlos the morning of the 8th. I walked the lower route last year, and that first day was fabulous!! I may follow Wayfarer's advice (even in nice weather) and stay on the highway after Valcarlos - even if it's longer. In 2013 I went over the Napoleon, and it was fabulous as well!!
A VERY Buen Camino to you and your husband!!
Terry

Oh, that's great, Terry! You'll probably pass us, or we'll meet up in Roncevalles. We're planning to spend the first night in Valcarlos. Are you stopping there or going straight through? Nice to hear such an enthusiastic recent report on this route.

Taking the bus or taxi is exactly what we plan if we find ourselves falling behind schedule. I wish we had the time to do the entire camino in one go. But an upside of splitting it means we can start up again next year right where we left off, or pick up at another point, or even split the camino into three segments if need be. I'd much rather take an extra rest day, explore an interesting village, spend time in church, or just generally stop and smell the roses (or lift a glass -- or two -- of vino tinto!!), than feel the pressure of "must be at Point B by such-and-such a time."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you! It sounded so doable when we first started planning, but the closer it gets the more I feel like, "What on earth are we thinking!" I have confidence it will all work out, though. So many others have done it in the same time (or less). This forum is the best. :)
Hi again, I was looking at my travel notes and what I saw was that it took me 14 day's from SJPdP to Burgos. I walked the Napoleon route. Wish you well, Peter.

Ahh, Bala, I won't catch up to you! I usually do 6 - 8 mi a day -- occasionally more, but not often! I like to really take my time and chat with the snails, flowers, butterflies, ants, along the way. Do it YOUR way, and have a wonderful Camino! terry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back