• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orio to Zarautz

Sanman

Walking for Nature
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy, Francis, Portugal, Norte, West Highland W,
Walking to Zarautz tomorrow ..

My guidebook says just passed Orio, other side of the water, i can avoid the highway and follow the dirt GR 121 for a kilometre and a half where it rejoined the Camino just passed the Albergue Txurruka

Has anyone taken this road or know about it and offer advice?

Thx!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Beatrice - looks good
Yes my book says after we have crossed the water..,but no one else seems to discuss it or show it so I’m a little wary have you taken it?
Looks like a good path…
I walked there in 2016 and as I haven’t written anything specific in my diary I assume it was a good path. I was recommended by a person in Orio to take that path instead of the road. But unfortunately no photos as it was raining a lot that day and I was tired as I had walked from Irún. I checked on Wikiloc and a lot of logged tracks are going there so people walk there.

Here is an old thread and a post mentioning it as well https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-from-the-camino-del-norte.48291/post-519789

I walked there in 2016 and as I haven’t written anything specific in my diary I assume it was a good path. I was recommended by a person in Orio to take that path instead of the road. But unfortunately no photos as it was raining a lot that day and I was tired as I had walked from Irún. I checked on Wikiloc and a lot of logged tracks are going there so people walk there.ate to adjourn

Here is an old thread and a post mentioning it as well https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-from-the-camino-del-norte.48291/post-519789
Thx so much for your reply and the link
I think we will take, who doesn’t prefer a path to asphalt.
Thx again

The path itself is about 1.2 km long until you reach the sportsground.
From there you have to take the small asphalt road again, which isn’t a highway, btw.
You won’t avoid asphalt that much.

I like walking along water, so I took the road.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The path itself is about 1.2 km long until you reach the sportsground.
From there you have to take the small asphalt road again, which isn’t a highway, btw.
You won’t avoid asphalt that much.

I like walking along water, so I took the road.
Ok thx for the additional info much appreciated!
How was the traffic when you walked and was there a safe shoulder ?

The traffic on that road is low as it is a rural area.
Sometimes walking on the shoulder is possible as far as I remember.

Hi everyone, we just walked it and we found the trail and it was forested and well worth it.

We saw people walking along the road, not much of a shoulder and given there is so much payment on the Norte. I would avoid the road if possible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.